Subject: Cu Digest, #4.41
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 92 16:07 CDT

Computer underground Digest    Wed Sep 2, 1992   Volume 4 : Issue 41

       Editors: Jim Thomas and Gordon Meyer ([email-masked])
       Copy Editor: Etaion Shrdlu, IV
       Archivist: Brendan Kehoe
       Shadow-Archivist: Dan Carosone

CONTENTS, #4.41 (Sep 2, 1992)
File 1--MINDVOX System -- Qs and As
File 2--Art of Technology Digest Info
File 3--Re: Internet Guide

Cu-Digest is a weekly electronic journal/newsletter. Subscriptions are
available at no cost from [email-masked]. The editors may be
contacted by voice (815-753-6430), fax (815-753-6302) or U.S. mail at:
Jim Thomas, Department of Sociology, NIU, DeKalb, IL 60115.

Issues of CuD can also be found in the Usenet comp.society.cu-digest
news group; on CompuServe in DL0 and DL4 of the IBMBBS SIG, DL1 of
LAWSIG, and DL0 and DL12 of TELECOM; on Genie in the PF*NPC RT
libraries; from America Online in the PC Telecom forum under
"computing newsletters;" on the PC-EXEC BBS at (414) 789-4210; and by
anonymous ftp from ftp.eff.org (192.88.144.4) and ftp.ee.mu.oz.au
For bitnet users, back issues may be obtained from the mail server at
[email-masked]
European distributor: ComNet in Luxembourg BBS (++352) 466893.

COMPUTER UNDERGROUND DIGEST is an open forum dedicated to sharing
information among computerists and to the presentation and debate of
diverse views.  CuD material may  be reprinted as long as the source
is cited.  Some authors do copyright their material, and they should
be contacted for reprint permission.  It is assumed that non-personal
mail to the moderators may be reprinted unless otherwise specified.
Readers are encouraged to submit reasoned articles relating to
computer culture and communication.  Articles are preferred to short
responses.  Please avoid quoting previous posts unless absolutely
necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views represented herein do not necessarily represent
            the views of the moderators. Digest contributors assume all
            responsibility for ensuring that articles submitted do not
            violate copyright protections.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Sep 92 02:53 EDT
From: [email-masked](Patrick K. Kroupa)
Subject: File 1--MINDVOX System -- Qs and As

(MODERATORS' NOTE: We've been on a system called MINDVOX for the past
month ([email-masked]), and found it a rather
interesting place to hang out. Although not officially "on-line" and
open to the public, there were still a sufficient number of
interesting posters and posts to keep us going back for more.  IRC
access, multiple on-line chats, disk storage space, usenet feeds, and
other amenities, combined with the proposed future attractions once it
goes on line, indicate that MINDVOX may become one of the better
public access systems around. We played "Question and Answer" with Pat
Kroupa, who runs it along with his long-time friend Bruce Fancher)).

++++

CuD: What is your board's philosophy?

Vox: Jeez, you got 100K of space for me to go on?  Um, well basically
the MindVox article is pretty much a summary of the causes and
inceptions of what drove a group of us to put this together, you can
pick it up off of various ftp sites under the cud/papers sections, and
it's on MindVox itself as the editorial at the moment.  Basically we
are about evolving Cyberspace and online-communications to the next
level beyond what is available, and then repeating that process over
the years.  We are about reality, virtual and non-virtual, making
available to people information that depicts the facts behind a lot of
things that the mass media tends to cloud and obscure, the hacker
underground of course, but we also have a strong focus on drugs, their
effects and uses, recreational, medicinal, steroids and the reality
behind how they work and the effects they have on muscle building,
weight-loss or weight gain, etc...  The general idea was one of a
nexus point within Cyberspace where people from all over the world
could have access to information and first-hand-knowledge from other
individuals, that was not possible anywhere else.  So far we are
succeeding in that effort.

CuD: What do users get?

Vox: Well the services they get access to are all the things they expect
from Unix in a clean easy-to-use interface.  This includes the usenet,
IRC, software, as well as the MindVox Forums, Archives from the dawn
of Cyberspace, and all types of games and interactive simulations.  We
also have mailboxes for people who might not want to belong to certain
mailing lists or sites, from their normal address, because of
big-brother type of system administrators.  Member-selectable crypted
mail is in the pipeline, as well as various features that allow a high
level of privacy.

CuD: How are the conferences?

Vox: The conferences are going really well, considering that ratio of
about 5% of the users typically writing 95% of the messages, we're
closer to 15% or 20%, but then again we're just exiting beta mode, so
we'll see if it tops out at that ratio or gets better.  Our primary
topical focus is of course Cyberspace, and we have a series of Forums
devoted to every tangent of that, ranging from technology, networking,
security, hardware and software, to discussions of ethics surrounding
hacking and piracy, the social structure of the underground, with most
of the players in residence, participating and explaining what it was
really like.  We also have areas for Virtual Reality, Ontology, Drugs,
Health, Philosophy, Social Issues, the Arts, Business, Entertainment,
basically anything that people would like to take part in, we'll let
'em have, but as stated, our principle focus is Cyberspace and its
history and development.

CuD: Where are we going?

Vox: What we're going to be doing as time passes, is constantly evolving
the state-of-the-art in online systems.  What we're really focusing on
is developing software objects that can be pulled apart and updated in
a very efficient and fast manner, since everything that is possible
with the current state of technology, basically moves forward 33%
every two years.  Hardware is really cheap these days, but its still
running junk that was written in the early 80's and ported from
mainframes, or some MSDOS-based nightmare that is so ridiculous in
this day of workstations, that its not even funny.  Most online
services are just user-hostile.  Right now our VOICES software is
getting to a state that we're almost satisfied with, prior to getting
front-ends for the PC/Mac and Amiga going over the winter.  Since
everything is always late, we probably won't have functional
front-ends until early spring, but hey, they tell me "winter" right
now, I just don't believe 'em, since they're always 4-8 weeks wrong.

CuD: Who is there?

Vox: Pretty much a cross-section of everybody in Cyberspace, with the
main focus being on people who are a lot closer to whatever you want
to term as being "the edge" which tends to define and re-define the
boundaries of the playing field we're in.  We have a lot of
creative/artistic people, Mondo is online, Bruce Sterling,
cyberpunk/science fiction writers, movie people, a lot of journalists
and reporters are on to see what's going on or to communicate with
each other, we pretty much have EVERYBODY who had a hand in shaping
the computer underground during the 80's online, most of the ex-Legion
of Doom, Knights of Shadow, just people from way-back-when who are
living different lives right now; a lot of the EFF is around,
government people, a lotta security people from various places are
checking things out.  Elvis was around for a while, but mostly we're
still negotiating to get Bill the Cat.  Oh and hey, you're there too!

CuD: What's IRC (Inter-Relay Chat) like?

Vox: IRC is interesting, if the net is working anarchy, IRC is
dysfunctional anarchy.  It's also probably one of the first genuine
steps into what will become Cyberspace.  It's real-time interaction,
where I mean you're just typing to one another, but there are
hundreds, sometimes thousands of people there from all over the world.
And then when you stop and think that people meet, fall in love, even
get married through this -- it really is a new medium for
communications between people.  On the other hand there are
individuals who tend to live their entire lives through it, but...
it's a really fascinating experience, what it means to you will vary
greatly upon your personal needs of course, to one person its crap, to
another an interesting diversion, and to a third, a reasonable
alternative to perpetual loneliness or suicide.

CuD: How do we access it?

Vox: You can telnet to phantom.com, the IP address for that is:
38.145.218.228 or
you can connect locally by dialing 212-988-5030.

CuD: How much does it cost to get access?

Vox: Pricing is broken down into a couple of categories to suit people's
needs.  What we've found during our beta testing stage is that a lot
of clients are telnetting into Vox because they want to read the
forums, download from the Archives and hang out with us; they don't
really care about reading news or hanging out in IRC or whatever,
since they can do all that from accounts they have right now.
Conversely there are local people who are just amazed that they can
FTP software, and wanna read the newsgroups and use mail, and
basically don't have the slightest have the slightest idea who we are,
and even less interest in reading the Forums.  In fact the majority of
local people just want Internet services with an easy-to-use front-end
so they don't have to deal with Unix.  So we changed Memberships to
reflect what we discovered, and fulfill everyone's desires.

MindVox Membership is $10 a month.  Which gives you access to the
MindVox Forums, the local Chat system, the Archives, Games, Mail, and
things that fall into these basic categories.

Internet Memberships are also $10 a month, and that's basically
Usenet, Software, Mail, IRC, and things that fall into the category of
"Public Unix Access."

Or $15 a month gets you all services, period.

Everybody gets two weeks of free time to check it out and decide if
its something they want to be part of, before billing gets activated.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 92 18:45:13 EDT
From: Chris Cappuccio <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 2--Art of Technology Digest Info

((MODERATORS' NOTE: The Art of Technology Digest is a new E-'Zine that
we came across, so we posed some questions to the editor, Chris
Cappuccio.  From what we've seen of it so far, it's worth checking
out)).

Q: What's ATD About?

A: Things That Happen With Technology, How Technology Is Used,
Wierd Technology Uses, Some Computer Underground News

Q: How Often Does It Come Out?

A: Usually Every 1 1/2 Weeks or Whenever I Can Get It Out There

Q: Where Can I Get It?

A: For Back Issues, Call Live Wire BBS (313) 464-1470, 1200/2400/HST
9600-14400
You Will Get Access On Your First Call And All Files Are Zipped So The LD
Charges Are Low... To Be Put On The Mailing List, Do *Exactly* this:

mail [email-masked]
SUBJECT:
SUBSCRIBE aotd

Q: How Can I Contribute?

A: Send Your Contributions And Complaints To: [email-masked]

Q: What Is The Mailserver at batpad.lgb.ca.us?

A: It's A Different Version Of The Listserv Commonly Found On Bitnet
(Because It's Time Network) And Uses Slightly Different Commands

Q: Why Does batpad.lgb.ca.us Take Hours To Respond?

A: Give UUCP A Break!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1992 15:36:10 PDT
From: Brian Erwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 3--Re: Internet Guide

((MODERATORS' NOTE: We are not in the habit of providing free
advertising for profit-making enterprises, but we feel the following
"Nutshell" and related products by O'Reilly Associates are relevant
resources. Whenever we have technical questions, the people we ask
often refer us to a volume from the Nutshell series as a pointer for
further information. We asked Brian Erwin of O'Reilly Associates to
summarize a list of "how-to" books that might be relevant for CuD
readers, and he came up with the following).

                    ***New Nutshell Handbooks***
                Power Programming with RPC (New 2/92)
             Guide to Writing DCE Applications (New 6/92)
  UNIX in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V and Solaris 2.0
                              (New 6/92)

UNIX & C Programming
____________________
Checking C Programs with lint
Guide to OSF/1: A Technical Synopsis
lex & yacc
Managing Projects with make, 2nd Edition
POSIX Programmer's Guide
Power Programming with RPC
Practical C Programming
Programming Perl
Programming with curses
sed & awk
Understanding and Using COFF
UNIX for FORTRAN Programmers
Using C on the UNIX System

UNIX Communications
___________________
The Directory of Electronic Mail Addressing & Networks
Managing UUCP and Usenet
MH & xmh: E-mail for Users & Programmers
Using UUCP and Usenet
The Z-Mail Handbook

UNIX System Administration
__________________________
Essential System Administration
Managing NFS and NIS
Practical UNIX Security
System Performance Tuning
termcap & terminfo

Computer Security
_________________
Computer Security Basics
Practical UNIX Security

UNIX Text Processing
____________________
Learning GNU Emacs
Learning the vi Editor
Typesetting Tables on the UNIX System

UNIX Basics
___________
DOS meets UNIX
Learning the UNIX Operating System
UNIX in a Nutshell for Berkeley
UNIX in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V and Solaris 2.0

DCE
___
Guide to Writing DCE Applications

                    ***The Pick Series***
Pick MASTER DICTIONARY: A Reference Guide to User Accounts
Pick ACCESS:  A Guide to the SMA/RETRIEVAL Language
Pick BASIC:  A Reference Guide
A Guide to the Pick System

==========

The X Window System Series
Definitive Guides to the X Window System

Volume 0, X Protocol Reference Manual, for X11 Release 4 and Release 5
Edited and with an introduction by Adrian Nye
516 pages, ISBN 1-56592-008-2, $34.95
3rd Edition, Release 5, February 1992

Describes the X Network Protocol which underlies all software for Version 11
of the X Window System.  Includes protocol clarifications of X11 Release 5, as
well as the most recent version of the ICCCM and the Logical Font Conventions
Manual. For use with any release of X.

Volume 1, Xlib Programming Manual, Release 4
By Adrian Nye
672 pages, ISBN 0-937175-11-0, $34.95
2nd Edition, Release 4, April 1990

Complete programming guide to the X library (Xlib), the lowest level of
programming interface to X. Updated to cover X11 Release 4.

Volume 2, Xlib Reference Manual, for X11 Release 4 and Release 5
By Adrian Nye
1138 pages, ISBN 1-56592-006-6, $34.95 (estimated)
3rd Edition, Release 5, June 1992

Complete reference guide to the X library (Xlib), the lowest level of
programming interface to X. Updated to cover X11 Release 4 and Release 5.

Volume 3, X Window System User's Guide, Release 4
By Valerie Quercia & Tim O'Reilly
Standard Edition, 752 pages, ISBN 0-937175-14-5, $34.95
Motif Edition, 734 pages, ISBN 0-937175-61-7, $34.95
Standard Edition, Release 4, May 1990. Motif Edition January 1991.

Orients the new user to window system concepts and provides detailed tutorials
for many client programs, including the xterm terminal emulator and window
managers.  Later chapters explain how to customize the X environment.  This
popular manual is available in two editions, one for users of the MIT software,
one for users of Motif.  Revised for X11 Release 4.

Volume 4, X Toolkit Intrinsics Programming Manual, Release 4
By Adrian Nye & Tim O'Reilly
Standard Edition, 624 pages, 0-937175-56-0, $34.95
Motif Edition, 666 pages, 0-937175-62-5, $34.95
2nd Edition, Release 4, September 1990. Motif Edition January 1991.

A complete guide to programming with Xt Intrinsics, the library of C language
routines that facilitate the design of user interfaces, with reusable
components called widgets.  Available in two editions.  The Standard Edition
uses Athena widgets in examples; the Motif Edition uses Motif widget examples.

Volume 5, X Toolkit Intrinsics Reference Manual, for X11 Release 4 and Release 5
Edited by David Flanagan
916 pages, ISBN 1-56592-007-4, $34.95
3rd Edition, Release 5, April 1992

Complete programmer's reference for the X Toolkit, providing pages for each
of the Xt functions, as well as the widget classes defined by Xt and the
Athena widgets. This 3rd Edition has been re-edited, reorganized, and expanded
for X11 Release 5.

Volume 6, Motif Programming Manual
By Dan Heller
1032 pages, ISBN: 0-937175-70-6, $39.95
1st Edition September 1991

The Motif Programming Manual is a source for complete, accurate, and
insightful guidance on Motif application programming.  There is no other
book that covers the ground as thoroughly or as well as this one.
Motif Release 1.1.

Volume 7, XView Programming Manual, 3rd Edition
By Dan Heller, edited by Thomas Van Raalte
766 pages, ISBN 0-937175-87-0, $34.95
3rd Edition September 1991

XView Reference Manual
Edited by Thomas Van Raalte
266 pages, ISBN 0-937175-88-9, $24.95
1st Edition September 1991

Complete programming and reference guides to XView Version 3. XView was
developed by Sun Microsystems. It is an easy-to-use object-oriented toolkit
that provides an OPEN LOOK user interface for X applications.

The X Window System in a Nutshell
Edited by Ellie Cutler, Daniel Gilly, & Tim O'Reilly
424 pages, ISBN 1-56592-017-1, $24.95
2nd Edition April 1992

Indispensable companion to the X Window System Series. Experienced X
programmers can use this single-volume desktop companion for most common
questions, keeping the full series of manuals for detailed reference. This
book has been newly updated to cover R5 but is still useful for R4.

Programmer's Supplement for Release 5 of the X Window System, Version 11
David Flanagan
390 pages, ISBN 0-937175-86-2, $29.95
1st Edition November 1991

For programmers who are familiar with Release 4 of the X Window System and
want to know how to use the new features of Release 5.  This books is an
update for owners of Volumes 1, 2, 4, and 5 of the X Window System Series,
and provides complete tutorial and reference information to all new Xlib
and Xt toolkit functions.

PHIGS Programming Manual: 3D Programming in X
By Tom Gaskins
968 pages, ISBN 0-937175-85-4, $42.95 softcover
	   ISBN 0-937175-92-7, $52.95 hardcover
1st Edition February 1992

A complete and authoritative guide to PHIGS and PHIGS PLUS programming,
this book documents the PHIGS and PHIGS PLUS graphics standards
and provides full guidance regarding the use of PHIGS within the X
environment.

==========

The X Resource: A Practical Journal of the X Window System

The X Resource is a quarterly working journal for X programmers. Its goal is
to provide practical, timely information about the programming, administration,
and use of the X Window System. Issues include:
-Over-the-shoulder advice from programmers who share their experience with you
-Suggestions from the people who wrote your software tools
-Insight on making better use of public domain tools for software development
-In-depth tutorial and reference documentation
-Annual Proceedings of the X Technical Conference held at MIT (O'Reilly &
  Associates is the official publisher of the Proceedings, which form the
  January issue.)

Regular issues of the journal (Spring, Summer, and Fall) include three
sections: papers, departments, and documentation. The Winter issue is the
Annual Proceedings of the X Consortium's X Technical Conference at MIT.
(The conference proceedings are published exclusively in The X Resource.) All
four issues are approximately 220 pages in length, with no advertising. The
journal is practical rather than academic: its primary aim is to help
programmers learn and program better.

Subscribers to The X Resource have the option of subscribing to the journal
plus supplements. For programmers who want to review proposed X Consortium
standards and participate in setting those standards, supplements to The X
Resource will include:
-Public Review Specifications for proposed X Consortium standards
-Introductory explanations of the issues involved

We're selling individual copies of The X Resource like books; you can buy
copies through O'Reilly & Associates or at bookstores. You can also subscribe
to The X Resource through O'Reilly & Associates. For information about
subscriptions contact Cathy Record at:
	The X Resource
	O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
	103A Morris St.
	Sebastopol, CA 95472
	USA/Canada: (800) 998-9938
	Overseas or Local: 707-829-0515
	Fax: 707-829-0104

The X Resource Issue 0, October 1991
Adrian Nye, Editor
253 pages, ISBN 0-937175-79-X, $22.50

Articles for Issue 0 include: default colormap manipulation,
prescient agents, engineering insights from an interactive imaging
application, C++ with Motif, xterm tips and tricks, Xcms, UIMS systems,
internationalization, editres and more.

The X Resource Issue 1, January 1992
Adrian Nye, Editor
240 pages, ISBN 0-937175-96-X, $22.50

Issue 1, January 1992, is the Annual Proceedings of the X Technical
Conference at MIT.

The X Resource Issue 2, April 1992
Adrian Nye, Editor
190 pages, ISBN 0-937175-97-8, $22.50

Articles for Issue 2 include: object-oriented implementation of
a drag-and-drop protocol, basic extension writing, imake, porting from motif
to Open Look, documentation on the Widget Creation Language.

The X Resource Issue 3, July 1992
Adrian Nye, Editor
220 pages, ISBN:0-937175-98-6, $22.50

The X Resource includes in-depth articles and documentation not available
elsewhere.  Articles for Issue 3 include: multi-user application software
using Xt, using the new font capabilities of HP-donated font server
enhancements, improving X application performance, the nonrectangular window
shape extension, GUI Testing, Server instrumentation and tracing, Font Server
Administration, RichText widget, and more.

==========

Nutshell Handbooks
Concise, hands-on guides to selected UNIX topics

Using C on the UNIX System
By Dave Curry
250 pages, ISBN 0-937175-23-4, $24.95
1st Edition January 1989

This is the book for intermediate to experienced C programmers who want
to become UNIX system programmers.  It explains system calls and special
library routines available on the UNIX system.

Understanding and Using COFF
By Gintaras R. Gircys
196 pages, ISBN 0-937175-31-5, $21.95
1st Edition November 1988

COFF--Common Object File Format--is the formal definition for the structure
of machine code files in the UNIX System V environment.  All machine-code
files are COFF files.	This handbook explains COFF data structure and its
manipulation.

Computer Security Basics
By Deborah Russell & G.T. Gangemi Sr.
464 pages, ISBN 0-937175-71-4, $29.95.
1st Edition July 1991

Provides a readable introduction to computer security concepts:
passwords, access controls, cryptography, network security,
biometrics, TEMPEST, and more.  Describes government and industry
standards for security, including the "Orange Book" standard for
secure systems.  Includes an extensive glossary of computer
security terms and sources for more information.

Programming with curses
By John Strang
76 pages, ISBN 0-937175-02-1, $12.95
1st Edition 1986

Curses is a UNIX library of functions for controlling a terminal's
display screen from a C program.  This handbook helps you make use of
the curses library.

Guide to Writing DCE Applications
By John Shirley
282 pages, ISBN 1-56592-004-X, $29.95

A hands-on programming guide to OSF's Distributed Computing Environment
(DCE) for first-time DCE application programmers. This book is designed
to help new DCE users make the transition from conventional, nondistributed
applications programming to distributed DCE programming. Covers RPC, name
service, security services, threads, and other major aspects of DCE, and also
includes practical programming examples.

DOS meets UNIX
By Dale Dougherty & Tim O'Reilly
148 pages, ISBN 0-937175-21-8, $15.00
1st Edition April 1988

Describes the solutions available for integrating DOS and UNIX.  It
also briefly introduces UNIX for DOS users.

Learning GNU Emacs
By Deb Cameron & Bill Rosenblatt
442 pages, ISBN 0-937175-84-6, $27.95
1st Edition October 1991

This book is an introduction to the GNU Emacs editor, one of the most
widely used and powerful editors available under UNIX.  It provides a
solid introduction to basic editing, a look at several important
"editing modes" (special Emacs features for editing specific types of
documents), and a brief introduction to customization and Emacs LISP
programming.  The book is aimed at new Emacs users, whether or not
they are programmers.

!%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail Addressing & Networks
By Donnalyn Frey & Rick Adams
438 pages, ISBN 0-937175-15-3, $27.95
2nd Edition May 1990

Answers the problem of addressing mail to people you've never met, on
networks you've never heard of.  Includes a general introduction to
e-mail, followed by detailed reference sections for over 130 networks.

Essential System Administration
By AEleen Frisch
466 pages, ISBN 0-937175-80-3, $29.95
1st Edition October 1991

Provides a compact, manageable introduction to the tasks faced by everyone
responsible for a UNIX system. This guide is for those who use a stand-alone
UNIX system, those who routinely provide administrative support for a larger
shared system, or those who want an understanding of basic administrative
functions. Covers all major versions of UNIX.

UNIX for FORTRAN Programmers
By Mike Loukides
264 pages, ISBN 0-937175-51-X, $24.95
1st Edition August 1990

This handbook minimizes the UNIX entry barrier by providing the serious
scientific programmer with an introduction to the UNIX operating system and
its tools.  Assumes some knowledge of FORTRAN, but none of UNIX nor C.

Learning the UNIX Operating System
By Grace Todino & John Strang
84 pages, ISBN 0-937175-16-1, $9.00
2nd Edition 1987

If you are new to UNIX, this concise introduction will tell you just
what you need to get started and no more. Why wade through a 600-page
book when you can begin working productively in a matter of minutes?

lex & yacc
By Tony Mason & Doug Brown
238 pages, ISBN 0-937175-49-8, $24.95
1st Edition May 1990

Shows programmers how to use two UNIX utilities, lex and yacc,
to solve problems in program development.  Includes explanations
of the concepts and tutorial examples, as well as detailed technical
information for advanced users.

Checking C Programs with lint
By Ian F. Darwin
84 pages, ISBN 0-937175-30-7,  $12.95
1st Edition October 1988

The lint program is one of the best tools for finding portability
problems and certain types of coding errors in C programs.  This
handbook introduces you to lint, guides you through running it on your
programs, and helps you interpret lint's output.

Managing Projects with make
By Steve Talbott and Andrew Oram
152 pages, ISBN 0-937175-90-0, $17.95
2nd Edition October 1991

Make is one of UNIX's greatest contributions to software development,
and this book is the clearest description of make ever written.  This
revised second edition includes guidelines on meeting the needs of
large projects.

Managing UUCP and Usenet
By Tim O'Reilly & Grace Todino
368 pages, ISBN 0-937175-93-5, $27.95
10th Edition January 1992

For all its widespread use, UUCP is one of the most difficult UNIX
utilities to master.  This book is for system administrators who want to
install and manage UUCP and Usenet software. "Don't even TRY to install UUCP
without it!" --Usenet message [email-masked]

MH & xmh: E-mail for Users & Programmers
By Jerry Peek
598 pages, ISBN 0-937175-63-3, $29.95
1st Edition January 1991

Customizing your e-mail environment to save time and make communicating
more enjoyable. MH & xmh: E-Mail for Users & Programmers explains how to
use, customize, and program with the MH electronic mail commands, available
on virtually any UNIX system. The handbook also covers xmh, an X Window
System client that runs MH programs.

Managing NFS and NIS
By Hal Stern
436 pages, ISBN 0-937175-75-7, $27.95
1st Edition June 1991

Managing NFS and NIS is for system administrators who need to set up or manage
a network filesystem installation.  NFS (Network Filesystem) is probably
running at any site that has two or more UNIX systems.  NIS (Network
Information System) is a distributed database used to manage a network of
computers.  The only practical book devoted entirely to these subjects, this
guide is a "must-have" for anyone interested in UNIX networking.

Guide to OSF/1:  A Technical Synopsis
The staff of O'Reilly & Associates
304 pages, ISBN 0-937175-78-1, $21.95
1st Edition June 1991

This technically competent introduction to OSF/1 is based on OSF technical
seminars. In addition to its description of OSF/1, it includes the differences
between OSF/1 and System V Release 4 and a look ahead at DCE.

Programming Perl
By Larry Wall & Randal Schwartz
482 pages, ISBN 0-937175-64-1, $29.95
1st Edition January 1991

Authoritative guide to the hottest new UNIX utility in years,
co-authored by the creator of that utility. Perl is a language for
easily manipulating text, files, and processes.

POSIX Programmer's Guide
By Donald Lewine
640 pages, ISBN 0-937175-73-0, $34.95
1st Edition April 1991

Most UNIX systems today are POSIX-compliant because the Federal government
requires it for their purchases. However, given the manufacturer's
documentation, it can be difficult to distinguish system-specific features
from those features defined by POSIX. The POSIX Programmer's Guide, intended
as an explanation of the POSIX standard and as a reference for the POSIX.1
programming library, will help you write more portable programs.

Practical C Programming
By Steve Oualline
420 pages, ISBN 0-937175-65-X, $24.95
1st Edition July 1991

C programming is more than just getting the syntax right. Style and debugging
also play a tremendous part in creating programs that run well. Practical C
Programming teaches you not only the mechanics of programming, but also
describes how to create programs that are easy to read, maintain and
debug. There are lots of introductory C books, but this is the Nutshell
Handbook!

Practical UNIX Security
By Simson Garfinkel & Gene Spafford
512 pages, ISBN 0-937175-72-2, $29.95
1st Edition June 1991

Tells system administrators how to make their UNIX systems--either System V
or BSD--as secure as they possibly can be without going to trusted system
technology. The book describes UNIX concepts and how they enforce security,
tells how to defend against and handle security breaches, and explains network
security (including UUCP, NFS, Kerberos, and firewall machines) in detail.

UNIX in a Nutshell for Berkeley
272 pages, ISBN 0-937175-20-X, $19.50
1st Edition December 1986

This UNIX quick-reference goes beyond the list of frequently used
commands and options found in most quick refs.  "I highly recommend the
UNIX in a Nutshell handbooks as desktop references.  [They] are
complete and concise; they pack more information into fewer pages than
I've ever seen." --DEC Professional, Sept. 1987

UNIX in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V and Solaris 2.0
444 pages, ISBN 1-56592-001-5, $9.95
By Daniel Gilly and the staff of O'Reilly & Associates
2nd Edition June 1992

You may have seen UNIX quick reference guides, but you've never seen
anything like UNIX in a Nutshell. Not a scaled-down quick-reference of
common commands, UNIX in a Nutshell is a complete reference containing
all commands and options plus generous descriptions and examples that
put the commands in context. For all but the thorniest UNIX problems,
this one reference should be all the documentation you need.
Covers System V Releases 3 and 4 and Solaris 2.0.

Power Programming with RPC
By John Bloomer
494 pages, ISBN 0-937175-77-3, $29.95
1st Edition February 1992

RPC, or remote procedure calling, is the ability to distribute
the execution of functions on remote computers.  Written from a
programmer's perspective, this book shows what you can do with
RPC and presents a framework for learning it.

sed & awk
By Dale Dougherty
414 pages, ISBN 0-937175-59-5, $27.95
1st Edition November 1990

For people who create and modify text files, sed and awk are power
tools for editing.  Most of the things that you can do with these
programs can be done interactively with a text editor.  However, using
sed and awk can save many hours of repetitive work in achieving the
same result.

System Performance Tuning
By Mike Loukides
336 pages, ISBN 0-937175-60-9, $24.95
1st Edition November 1990

System Performance Tuning answers the fundamental question: How can I
get my computer to do more work without buying more hardware?  Some
performance problems do require you to buy a bigger or faster computer,
but many can be solved simply by making better use of the resources you
already have.

Typesetting Tables on the UNIX System
By Henry McGilton & Mary McNabb
280 pages, ISBN 0-9626289-0-5, $24.95

For those UNIX users who depend on troff, the definitive guide to tbl.
If you're a novice UNIX user, this book is the best way to learn tbl.
If you're an expert, the book will pay for itself the first time you want
to show off.

termcap & terminfo
By John Strang, Linda Mui, & Tim O'Reilly
270 pages, ISBN 0-937175-22-6, $21.95
3rd Edition April 1988

For UNIX system administrators and programmers. This handbook provides
information on writing and debugging terminal descriptions, as well as
terminal initialization, for the two UNIX terminal databases.

Using UUCP and Usenet
By Grace Todino & Dale Dougherty
210 pages, ISBN 0-937175-10-2, $21.95
1st Edition February 1986

Shows users how to communicate with both UNIX and non-UNIX systems
using UUCP and cu or tip, and how to read news and post articles.
This handbook assumes that UUCP is already running at your site.

Learning the vi Editor
By Linda Lamb
192 pages, ISBN 0-937175-67-6, $21.95
5th Edition October 1990

Complete guide to text editing with vi, the editor available on nearly
every UNIX system.  Early chapters cover the basics; later chapters explain
more advanced editing tools, such as ex commands and global search and
replacement.

The Z-Mail Handbook: 3 Interfaces for E-mail
By Hanna Nelson
462 pages, ISBN 0-937175-76-5, $29.95
1st Edition October 1991

Z-Mail is a superset of the widely-used public-domain program, Mush.
Z-Mail runs on UNIX terminals or on graphic workstations running the
X Window System, and even supports multimedia attachments (so you can
mail anything that you can store on disk).  This is the complete guide
to this powerful mail program. Also covers Mush.

==========

The Pick Series

If you've ever wanted more out of Pick documentation--understanding a
passage at first reading; speedily looking up an option; finding
complete coverage of a topic; having a guide you can give to a first-
time user--the Pick Series is for you.  It's complete, accessible,
authoritative, and it even looks good.

The Pick Series is a complete Pick documentation set, based on a
mainstream implementation of the Pick operating system (R83) with notes
on SMA standards and other implementations.

Pick ACCESS:  A Guide to the SMA/RETRIEVAL Language
By Walter Gallant
368 pages, ISBN 0-937175-41-2, $29.95
1st Edition November 1989

Pick ACCESS introduces ACCESS concepts, documents all commands, features,
and functions, and includes a thorough description of correlatives and
conversions.

Pick BASIC:  A Reference Guide
By Linda Mui
338 pages, ISBN 0-937175-42-0, $39.95
1st Edition March 1990

Pick BASIC is complete documentation for applications programmers. The large
reference section covers all Pick BASIC functions and statements.

Pick MASTER DICTIONARY: A Reference Guide to User Accounts
By Walter Gallant
576 pages, ISBN 0-937175-44-7, $39.95
1st Edition March 1990

A complete command reference guide for all TCL and Editor commands available
in user accounts. Pick MASTER DICTIONARY includes more information than any
other reference volume currently available. Commands and options for major
Pick implementations such as ADDS Mentor, Ultimate, General Automation, PICK
Systems R83, and REALITY are included.

A Guide to the Pick System
By Dale Dougherty
330 pages, ISBN 0-937175-43-9, $34.95
1st Edition January 1990

This book is designed for the applications programmer or other experienced
user who wants to know how Pick structures database files and how to set up
databases.

===============

US and Canada: To order these books contact O'Reilly & Associates at
103 Morris Street, Suite A, Sebastopol, CA, 95472 or call 1-800-998-9938.
To send a FAX: +1 707-829-0104.
Email questions to [email-masked] or uunet!ora!nuts.

--
Brian Erwin, [email-masked]
Public Relations, O'Reilly & Associates
103A Morris Street, Sebastopol CA 95472
707-829-0515, Fax 707-829-0104

------------------------------

End of Computer Underground Digest #4.41
************************************