Subject: Cu Digest, #523
From: Cu-Digest ([email-masked]) <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 93 02:13 CST

Computer underground Digest    Sun Mar 28 1993   Volume 5 : Issue 23
                           ISSN  1004-042X

       Editors: Jim Thomas and Gordon Meyer ([email-masked])
       Archivist: Brendan Kehoe
       Shadow-Archivists: Dan Carosone / Paul Southworth
                          Ralph Sims / Jyrki Kuoppala
                          Ian Dickinson
       Copy Eater: Etaion Shrdlu, Senior

CONTENTS, #5.23 (Mar 28 1993)
**C

Cu-Digest is a weekly electronic journal/newsletter. Subscriptions are
available at no cost electronically from [email-masked]. The
editors may be contacted by voice (815-753-6430), fax (815-753-6302)
or U.S. mail at:  Jim Thomas, Department of Sociology, NIU, DeKalb, IL
60115.

Issues of CuD can also be found in the Usenet comp.society.cu-digest
news group; on CompuServe in DL0 and DL4 of the IBMBBS SIG, DL1 of
LAWSIG, and DL0 and DL12 of TELECOM; on GEnie in the PF*NPC RT
libraries and in the VIRUS/SECURITY library; from America Online in
the PC Telecom forum under "computing newsletters;"
On Delphi in the General Discussion database of the Internet SIG;
on the PC-EXEC BBS at (414) 789-4210;
in Europe from the ComNet in Luxembourg BBS (++352) 466893;

ANONYMOUS FTP SITES:
  UNITED STATES:  ftp.eff.org (192.88.144.4) in /pub/cud
                  uglymouse.css.itd.umich.edu (141.211.182.53) in /pub/CuD/cud
                  halcyon.com( 202.135.191.2) in /pub/mirror/cud
  AUSTRALIA:      ftp.ee.mu.oz.au (128.250.77.2) in /pub/text/CuD.
  EUROPE:         nic.funet.fi in pub/doc/cud. (Finland)
                  ftp.warwick.ac.uk in pub/cud (United Kingdom)

Back issues also may be obtained through mailservers at:
[email-masked]   or  [email-masked]

COMPUTER UNDERGROUND DIGEST is an open forum dedicated to sharing
information among computerists and to the presentation and debate of
diverse views.  CuD material may  be reprinted for non-profit as long
as the source is cited.  Some authors do copyright their material, and
they should be contacted for reprint permission.  It is assumed that
non-personal mail to the moderators may be reprinted unless otherwise
specified.  Readers are encouraged to submit reasoned articles
relating to computer culture and communication.  Articles are
preferred to short responses.  Please avoid quoting previous posts
unless absolutely necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views represented herein do not necessarily represent
            the views of the moderators. Digest contributors assume all
            responsibility for ensuring that articles submitted do not
            violate copyright protections.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 93 13:03:09 PST
From: [email-masked](Roy)
Subject: Response to Virus Writing Contest (#5.21)

This note is in reference to the current issue of CuD and the all the
discussion of Mark Ludwigs' virus writing contest.

Let's just say I decided to have a bomb making contest. This is for
the purely scientific purpose of studying how bombs work, and allowing
people to study different ways to defuse bombs. I am going to award
some cash to the winner and publish the plans for making the bomb in
my soon-to-be-released book called "The Little Black Book of Bomb
Making Techniques".

So, the book gets published  and sells lots of copies. Mark Ludwig
arrives home one day to find that his place of residence has been
destroyed by a huge bomb. It just so happens that the type of bomb
used is the same award winning explosive device as I published in my
book.

Surely, Mr. Ludwig would not hold me responsible for the destruction
of his home caused by someone who decided to implement the plans I
presented purely for "scientific research purposes".

Roy Batchelor / Burn This Flag BBS / San Jose, CA / 408-363-9766 /

------------------------------

Date: 24 Mar 93 01:16:36 EST
From: David Lehrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Akron BBS Sting Update

Akron Anomaly BBS trial issue:

Distributed with permission of The Akron Beacon Journal
David Lehrer

********************

POLICE  SAY  THEY  WERE  TAKING  A  BYTE  OUT OF CRIME MUNROE FALLS
MAN WAS ARRESTED  FOR  HAVING  X-RATED PICTURES ON HIS COMPUTER
BULLETIN BOARD; HIS PARENTS BELIEVE THE STING OPERATION WAS
POLITICALLY MOTIVATED.

Akron Beacon Journal (AK) - MONDAY March 22, 1993
By: CHARLENE NEVADA, Beacon Journal staff writer
Edition: 1 STAR  Section: METRO  Page: A1
Word Count: 1,538

TEXT:
When  the police cars pulled up to David Lehrer's quiet Munroe Falls
street last  June,  it  was  a  little  like  they  were  swooping
down on a major criminal.

   Police  Chief Steve Stahl went to the door and told Lehrer that he
had a search warrant to seize computer equipment belonging to Lehrer's
son, Mark.  The  chief  told  the  elder  Lehrer  that there was
reason to believe Mark Lehrer,  then  22, was using the computer and a
modem to disseminate matter harmful to juveniles.

    Essentially, the chief said, it appeared that there were dirty
pictures on  a  popular  computer  bulletin board operated by the
younger Lehrer and that teen-agers could use their own computers to
view the dirty pictures.

    The  police  went  through  the  Lehrers' home -- seizing,
labeling and photographing anything and everything that fit on the
computer. It was just like on a police television show, only it was
happening in Munroe Falls and the accused was a college student
computer whiz.

    Greg  Lehrer,  Mark's  younger  brother,  remembers  asking  one
of the officers: 'Why don't you go out and find some real criminals?'

   That was nine months ago.

   Some might still ask that question.

   The  case of the State of Ohio vs. Mark Lehrer was closed last week
when Lehrer  stood  before  a  judge  in Summit County and pleaded
guilty to one rather strange misdemeanor: attempted possession of a
criminal tool.

   Lehrer  and his family said the plea bargain was a way to put the
matter behind  them  without  risking  a  jury trial and more legal
expenses. They consider the whole episode a witch hunt by Munroe Falls
police.

   David  Lehrer  has said from the beginning that Munroe Falls police
only wanted to appropriate his son's high-power computer -- which they
labeled a criminal tool -- for their own use.

   Within  the  computing  community,  the case caused so much outrage
that some  lawyers  and  accountants  set up a defense fund to help
Lehrer. More than $1,500 came from all over the country.

   Munroe  Falls  Police  Chief  Steve  Stahl  is about as unhappy
over the resolution as the Lehrers.

   Stahl wanted a felony conviction. The chief denied being on a witch
hunt for criminals in a relatively crime-free suburban community.

    Lehrer's  attorney,  Don  Varian,  said  the prosecutor offered to
plea bargain  because  prosecutors would have had problems going to
trial: 'They would have lost and they knew it,' he said.

   On  this much everyone agrees: Between last June and last week, the
case took lots of strange turns.

   THE AKRON ANOMALY
   It started one day last spring when Munroe Falls police got a tip
from a Kent  State  University  student  who  said  he  was concerned
that obscene material was available to juveniles through a computer
bulletin board known as the Akron Anomaly.

   The  Akron  Anomaly  was  the baby of Mark Lehrer, a University of
Akron student.  Lehrer  has  been into computers since he was in grade
school and his  dad  brought  the  first  one  home.  Among people who
love computers, bulletin boards are a way to share ideas and programs.
Bulletin board users are a little like yesterday's ham radio
operators.

    The  operator  of  a computer bulletin board is usually someone
who has lots of games, pictures and programs to share.

    Others can sign onto their own computers -- and with the aid of a
modem and telephone line -- tap into the bulletin board and copy the
files.

    As  computers  go,  Lehrer  had  a V-8 engine, a 486 IBM clone
with 500 megabytes  of  memory.  (The  whole Bible could be stored in
1 1/2 of those megabytes.)

    Lehrer works at a computer store in Stark County. He was allowed
to buy accessories  and upgrades at discount. His system -- not
including discs --was valued at about $3,000.

   The  bulletin  board  was  so  successful  that  early last year a
local computer group called it one of the best around.

    Those  who  wanted to use the bulletin board more than 45 minutes
a day were asked to pay $15 a year, which Lehrer applied to his phone
bill.

   X-RATED MATERIAL

   The  board  had an adult section with X-rated pictures and movies.
Those who  wanted  access  to  the  adult  section had to send Lehrer
a copy of a driver's license and get a special clearance.

   Computer  users  don't  just  take  things  from  a bulletin board.
They contribute, too.

   Programs  and  pictures  sent to the Anomaly were received in sort
of an 'in' basket. Lehrer then sorted them and filed them by category.

   The  X-rated  stuff  -- which Lehrer said was less than 2 percent
of the available  files  --  was  put  into  the  restricted-entry
adult category.  According  to  Stahl,  some  of  the  X-rated  files
wound up in the clean section.

    One in particular troubled Stahl. It was labeled '69,' a slang
term for oral sex, and had three X's behind it.

   To  Stahl,  that meant dirty. And since it wasn't in a
restricted-access section, anyone could see it.

   But  since  Munroe  Falls  didn't  actually  have  any  outraged
parents complaining, the police set up a sting operation.

    Working  on the advice of prosecutors from the Cuyahoga Falls
Municipal Court,  police  found  a  15-year-old  volunteer  and  had
him  apply  for membership  under  a fake name. They sat him down at a
computer and had him press  the  button to access one of the X-rated
files. Then he left because his parents didn't want him viewing the
material.

    Lehrer  was  charged with disseminating matter harmful to
juveniles and possession of criminal tools -- his computer.

    At  a  preliminary  hearing  last  June, Cuyahoga Falls Municipal
Judge James  Bierce  warned that more evidence would be needed to
convict Lehrer.  Nonetheless, the matter was bound over to the grand
jury.

    And  that's where it died. Just why isn't clear. Grand jury
proceedings are secret.

    Stahl said the grand jury didn't actually get to see the pictures.

    Varian has his own theory.

    The  police  didn't  have an independent witnesses saying they or
their children  were  offended, Varian said. All they had was the
15-year-old kid who  was set up. That meant the jury would have had to
look at the issue of entrapment. Jurors might not have liked that.

   NEW CHARGES

   But  the  matter  didn't end with the grand jury no-billing the
issue of disseminating matter harmful to juveniles.

    New charges surfaced.
    When  authorities  seized  Lehrer's  computer,  they  also  took
those shopping bags full of floppy discs. And apparently among them
were some sex pictures in which the subjects could have been under 18.

    So Lehrer was indicted for pandering obscenity involving minors.

    It didn't matter that the pictures came from a disc and weren't on
line or available through the bulletin board.

    The  new  charges  made  David Lehrer, Mark's father, suspect even
more that there was a hidden agenda.

   POLITICS AT WORK?

   Lehrer  chairs  the  city's  charter  review  commission.  Last
May, the commission voted not to make the police chief's job
classified, which would have afforded Stahl a great measure of job
protection.

   Plus,  after  the  bust,  Susan  Lehrer  -- Mark's mother --
visited the chief.  She  took notes. She said Stahl talked about how
her son's computer could be used in police work.

    Stahl  denied  his  actions  were politically motivated. He also
denied wanting  to  get  the  computer,  which  is  now  in the hands
of state law enforcement officials.

    The  chief  said  he  decided it would be wrong to ignore the case
just because Mark Lehrer's father held a public position.

    Stahl denied digging through the floppies to find more to charge
Lehrer with. The Bureau of Criminal Investigation did that, he said.

   COMPUTER GONE FOR GOOD

   Mark  Lehrer  acknowledged  having  some adult files in the
unrestricted area. With 10,000 files to deal with, he said, it was a
clerical error.

    Summit  County Prosecutor Lynn Slaby said that it would have been
tough to  convict  Lehrer  on the kiddie porn charges because proving
the ages of the  people  in  the  pictures would have been tough.
Varian said the women looked in the range of 16 to 20.

    To salvage the case, prosecutors offered the plea bargain.  Lehrer
   said  he  agreed  to  it  because  expert witnesses -- people to
   testify  the  people  in  the  picture  weren't under 18 -- would
   have cost $6,000.

    Most  importantly,  he  said:  'I  didn't want to go to trial for
child pornography. Juries sometimes convict people unfairly.'

    He  got no jail time, no probation and a small fine. But he had to
give up his computer.

    'We  did  not endorse the plea agreement,' Stahl said. He said he
still believes   that  Lehrer  is  guilty  of  disseminating  matter
harmful  to juveniles.

   The chief said he isn't on an obscenity crusade. 'We're not
Ravenna,' he said, referring to that city's anti-porn-crusading mayor,
Donald Kainrad.

   To  Lehrer -- who sees an empty room instead of a sophisticated
computer -- it's been a nightmare and the end of a great hobby.

   'Being  hit  with child pornography charges' was far from just, he
says.  'It's scary what people -- police and prosecutors -- can do to
a citizen.'

CAPTION:
Photo

   PHOTO: LEW STAMP

   Beacon  Journal  -  David  Lehrer  (left)  and his son Mark
question why Munroe  Falls  police  targeted  Mark's  computer
bulletin board, the Akron Anomaly.

DESCRIPTORS:  DAVID LEHRER; MARK; MUNROE FALLS POLICE; SEARCH WARRANT;
              COMPUTER EQUIPMENT; COLLEGE STUDENT; OBSCENE; JUVENILE;
              BIOGRAPHY; INFORMATION

------------------------------

Date: 27 Mar 93 07:36:29 EST
From: David Lehrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: CuD

"Munroe Falls carryout"

The following is an editorial published in the Akron Beacon Journal on
Wednesday, March 24, 1993.  This editorial is copyrighted by the Akron
Beacon Journal, and commercial use or resale of this article is
forbidden.  Permission to post this editorial in its entirety has been
generously granted by Mr. David B. Cooper, Associate Editor.

Background:

The 9-month long Mark Lehrer/Akron Anomaly BBS felony trial situation
terminated on March 8, 1993.

Topic:  Published articles about the Akron Anomaly BBS 'sting'
directed by Munroe Falls, Ohio police chief Steve Stahl on June 18,
1992.  All published articles concerning this 'sting' and associated
battles will be distributed immediately upon permission being granted
by the author(s).

Responses are encouraged!

From the Beacon: "We welcome your letters and the chance to publish as
many as possible."

     "We ask that letters be original, concise and legible and bear
the writer's full signature, address and daytime phone number."

  "All letters are subject to editing. We withhold names only for good
reason.  The same conditions apply to letters sent by fax."

     "Please address your letters to Voice of the People, Akron Beacon
Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, Ohio 44309-0640."

     "If you want to send your letter by fax, use our fax number:
(216) 996-3520."

David Lehrer

*******************

07084027
MUNROE FALLS CARRYOUT
Akron Beacon Journal (AK) - WEDNESDAY March 24, 1993
Edition: 1 STAR  Section: EDITORIAL  Page: A14
Word Count: 313

MEMO:
Editorial / Our Opinion

TEXT:
The  Fourth Amendment to the Constitution was written to safeguard
ordinary citizens  against  unreasonable  search  and  seizure.
Recently,  however, law-enforcement  officials  have  taken to seizing
possessions of convicted and suspected criminals, particularly drug
dealers.

   In  the  case  of  23-year-old Munroe Falls resident Mark Lehrer,
police confiscated  a  sophisticated, $3,000 computer setup, programs
and disks on the  suspicion  that  he might be letting kids look at
dirty pictures. That charge  was never proved.  In fact, it appears
that police received only one or  two complaints  about  his  computer
bulletin  board,  none from area parents.  Lehrer  contends  a
clerical error put the pornography into files accessible to all the
bulletin board's users, not just adults.    Police  enlisted  a
15-year-old, falsified his identity for a membership and then helped
the teen call up a possibly offending program.

   But,  when the Summit County grand jury refused to indict the
University of  Akron  computer whiz on the original charges, Munroe
Falls police filed other  charges  based  on  the  possibility that
some  of the programs in Lehrer's private collection contained
pictures of minors.

   Lehrer did plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of 'attempted
possession of criminal tools' -- his computer -- based on those
subsequent charges.

   No  one  downplays the seriousness of crime in our society, whether
it's in  the suburbs or inner cities. None argue that children should
be able to view pornography.

   But  in  the  absence  of  compelling evidence that Lehrer was
trying to peddle  child  porn  to kids, either at the outset of this
case nine months ago  or  now, it could appear that the police acted
hastily in confiscating the  computer.  Such actions invite questions
as to whether the police were protecting against a child pornographer
or using the intimidating powers of the  police  and judicial  system
to  help  themselves  to a nice hunk of expensive machinery. dl

DESCRIPTORS:  MUNROE FALLS; MARK LEHRER; POLICE; BIOGRAPHY; CHILD
             PORNOGRAPHY; EVIDENCE; OBSCENITY

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1993 08:08:53 -0800 (PST)
From: [email-masked](Mark Boolootian)
Subject: Getting information to and from the White House

GETTING INFORMATION TO AND FROM THE WHITE HOUSE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Updated March 12, 1993

A.  HOW TO SIGN UP FOR ELECTRONIC RELEASES FROM THE WHITE HOUSE:

The White House Communications office is distributing press releases
over an experimental system developed during the campaign.

You can sign up to receive press releases on this experimental system
by using the automated computer server.  You will be carried forward
onto the system that replaces it.  However, it would be appreciated if
you used this service sparingly at this time.  The present system was
not designed to handle high levels of message traffic.  In due course,
a more powerful system will be available.

You can also find copies of the press releases in certain on-line
bulletin board groups devoted to discussions of either national
politics in general or President Clinton in particular.

1.  On USENET/NETNEWS, electronic publications are found on a variety of
    groups:

        Direct Distribution

                alt.politics.clinton
                alt.politics.org.misc
                alt.politics.reform
                alt.politics.usa.misc
                alt.news-media
                alt.activism
                talk.politics.misc

        Indirect Distribution

                misc.activism.progressive
                cmu.soc.politics
                assocs.clinton-gore-92

2.  On CompuServe: GO WHITEHOUSE

3.  On America Online: keyword WHITEHOUSE or THE WHITEHOUSE or CLINTON

4.  On The WELL: type whitehouse

5.  On MCI: type VIEW WHITE HOUSE

If you don't have access to the these accounts or if you would prefer
to receive the releases via e-mail, then the next section details how
to sign up for this service.  The server is not set up to answer
e-mail letters, comments or requests for specific information. To
reach this server, send e-mail:

                to: [email-masked]
                subject: Help

The server works by reading the subject line of the incoming message
and taking whatever action that line calls for. If you want to sign up
to automatically receive press releases, then your subject line would
begin with the word RECEIVE.  You can then specify what kind of
information you are interested in receiving. The categories of
information are:

ECONOMIC POLICY
                        Get releases related to the economy such as budget
                        news, technology policy review, etc.

FOREIGN POLICY
                        Get releases related to foreign policy such as
                        statements on Bosnian airdrop, Haitian refugee
                        status, etc.

SOCIAL POLICY
                        Get releases related to social issues like
                        National Service (Student Loan) program,
                        abortion, welfare reform, etc.

SPEECHES
                        All speeches made by the President and
                        important speeches made by other
                        Administration officials.

NEWS
                        Transcripts of press conferences released by
                        the White House Communications office, as well
                        as the President's remarks in photo ops and
                        other Q&A sessions.

ALL                     All of the above

So, if you wanted to sign up to get releases related to the economy your
e-mail message would look like this:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: RECEIVE ECONOMY

When you send a signup message to the clinton-info server, it sends
you back a status message letting you know what distribution streams
you are signed up for. If you ever want to check on what groups you
are signed up for send the following message:

To: [email-masked]
Subject: STATUS

You can stop receiving e-mail releases by sending a REMOVE message to
the clinton-info server. The word REMOVE would be followed by whatever
distribution stream you wanted to drop. If you wanted to stop
receiving message about the ECONOMY then your mail would look like
this:

To: [email-masked]
Subject: REMOVE ECONOMY

You could substitute SOCIAL, FOREIGN, SPEECHES, NEWS or ALL for
ECONOMY in the above message and you would be dropped from that
distribution list. If you send the subject line REMOVE ALL, then you
will be taken off the e-mail distribution system all together and will
not receive further releases of any kind.

You can also ask for help from the automated server.  Send an e-mail
query as follows:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: HELP

The server will respond by sending you a detailed form that will guide you
through the process of signing up for the various distribution streams.

B.  ARE THE WHITE HOUSE PRESS RELEASES BEING ARCHIVED.

Yes.  Various sites are archiving the press releases.  What follows is an
incomplete list of some of the sites containing the documents that have
been released to date.  This FAQ will be updated to reflect new sites as
they become known.

         SITE                           DIRECTORY

1. SUNSITE.UNC.EDU              /HOME3/WAIS/WHITE-HOUSE-PAPERS
2. FTP.CCO.CALTECH.EDU          /PUB/BJMCCALL
3. FTP MARISTB.MARIST.EDU
4. CPSR.ORG                     /CPSR/CLINTON
5. FedWorld BBS                 703-321-8020  8-N-1

Notes:  The following are notes on how to log in and get
        information from the above sites.

1.      Office FOR Information Technology at University of
        North Carolina Maintains the full collection of White
        House electronic release available for search with WAIS.
        (:source
        :version 3
        :database-name "/home3/wais/White-House-Papers" :ip-
                address "152.2.22.81"
        :ip-name "sunsite.unc.edu"
        :tcp-port 210
        :cost 0.00
        :cost-unit :free
        :maintainer "[email-masked]"
        :description "Server created with WAIS release 8 b5 on
                Feb 27 15:16:16 1993 by [email-masked]
        These are the White House Press Briefings and other
        postings dealing with William Jefferson Clinton and
        Albert Gore as well as members of the President's
        Cabinet and the first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton,
        Chelsea, Socks and others in Washington DC. Dee Dee
        Meyers and George Stephanopoulos.  Other good words:
        United States of America, Bill Al Tipper Democrats USA
        US These files are also available via anonymous ftp
        from sunsite.unc.edu The files of type filename used in
        the index were:
        /home3/ftp/pub/academic/political-science/whitehouse-
         papers/1993 ")
        Folks without WAIS clients or gophers that act as WAIS
        clients may telnet to sunsite.unc.edu and login as swais
        to access this information via WAIS.

2.      No special instructions.

3.      The CLINTON@MARIST log files which contain all the official
        administration releases distributed through the MIT servers
        are available via anonymous FTP. These logs contain in
        addition to the official releases, the posts that comprise the
        ongoing discussion conducted by the list subscribers.
        To obtain the logs:
        FTP MARISTB.MARIST.EDU - the logs are in the CLINTON directory
        and are named CLINTON LOG9208 thru CLINTON LOGyymm where yymm
        stands for the current year and month. Problems should be
        directed to my attention: [email-masked] or
        [email-masked].
        Posted by Lee Sakkas - owner, CLINTON@MARIST

4.      Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility is
        providing all Clinton documents on technology and privacy
        at the CPSR Internet Library, available via
        FTP/WAIS/Gopher at cpsr.org /cpsr/clinton (and in other
        folders as relevant). For email access, send a message
        with the word "help" at the 1st line of text to
        [email-masked].

5.      The White House Forum (GO WHITEHOUSE) on CompuServe is devoted
        to discussion of the Clinton administration's policies and
        activities.  The forum's library consists of news releases and
        twice daily media briefings from the White House Office of
        Media Affairs.  CompuServe members can exchange information
        and opinions with each other in the 17 sections in the forum's
        message area.  The message board spans a broad range of
        topics, including international and United Nations activities,
        defense, health care, the economy and the deficit, housing and
        urban development, the environment, and education and national
        service.

6.      On America Online the posts are sent to the White House Forum,
        located in the News & Finance department of the service and
        accessible via keywords "white house" and "clinton."  The
        White House Forum on America Online contains the press
        releases from the White House, divided into the categories
        "Press Briefings," "Meetings & Speeches," "Foreign Policy,"
        "The Economy," "Technology," "Health Care," and
        "Appointments." The area features a message board so you can
        discuss the releases with other AOL members, and a searchable
        database for easy retrieval of releases in the topic that
        interests you.

7.      MCI Mail users can access daily information on the
        administration's programs provided by the White House through
        MCI Mail bulletin boards.  The available boards are: WHITE
        HOUSE ECONOMIC, WHITE HOUSE FOREIGN, WHITE HOUSE SOCIAL, WHITE
        HOUSE SPEECHES and WHITE HOUSE NEWS.  A listing of these
        boards can also be obtained by simply typing VIEW WHITE HOUSE
        at the COMMAND prompt.

C.  SENDING E-MAIL TO THE WHITE HOUSE

The White House e-mail system is under construction.  This is a new
project and suffers from all of the problems common to a startup
operation.  The Communications office is currently working on defining
what this system will do, as well as trying to come up with equipment
and staffing to make sure that it works.  E-mail messages are
currently being printed out and responses are being sent out via US
Mail.

Nobody wants this new venture to work more than the staff that has
devoted so many hours to getting it up and running.  But much time and
effort will be required before the system is truly interactive.  In
the mean time, they will need a little patience from the electronic
community.  If you send a message to the White House, please include a
US Post office address for replies.

        You can send e-mail to the following accounts:

Compuserve:             75300,3115
                        GO: WHITE HOUSE         finds White House forum

America OnLine:         clinton pz
                        KEYWORD: WHITEHOUSE     finds White House area

MCI                     TO: WHITE HOUSE
                        VIEW WHITE HOUSE        views bulletin boards

Internet:               [email-masked]
                        [email-masked]
                        [email-masked]

Please send corrections, deletion and additions to this faq to:
                [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of Computer Underground Digest #5.23
************************************