Subject: Cu Digest, #5.63
From: Cu-Digest <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1993 23:44:03 CDT

Computer underground Digest    Thu  Aug 19 1993   Volume 5 : Issue 63
                           ISSN  1004-042X

       Editors: Jim Thomas and Gordon Meyer ([email-masked])
       Archivist: Brendan Kehoe
       Shadow-Archivists: Dan Carosone / Paul Southworth
                          Ralph Sims / Jyrki Kuoppala
                          Ian Dickinson
    Copy Ediot: Etaoin Shrdlu, III

CONTENTS, #5.63 (Aug 19 1993)
File 1--Frequency of CuDs and Mail Service
File 2--Akron BBS Update 6/30/93 - Seeking Equip't Return
File 3--SAVE SIMTEL-20!!!
File 4--UPDATE #23-AB1624: Clarification of Bill's Obstructors
File 5--Digital Library Use (DLU) Project Information
File 6--CPSR's 1993 Annual Meeting

Cu-Digest is a weekly electronic journal/newsletter. Subscriptions are
available at no cost electronically from [email-masked]. The
editors may be contacted by voice (815-753-0303), fax (815-753-6302)
or U.S. mail at:  Jim Thomas, Department of Sociology, NIU, DeKalb, IL
60115.

Issues of CuD can also be found in the Usenet comp.society.cu-digest
news group; on CompuServe in DL0 and DL4 of the IBMBBS SIG, DL1 of
LAWSIG, and DL1 of TELECOM; on GEnie in the PF*NPC RT
libraries and in the VIRUS/SECURITY library; from America Online in
the PC Telecom forum under "computing newsletters;"
On Delphi in the General Discussion database of the Internet SIG;
on the PC-EXEC BBS at (414) 789-4210; and on: Rune Stone BBS (IIRG
WHQ) (203) 832-8441 NUP:Conspiracy; RIPCO BBS (312) 528-5020
CuD is also available via Fidonet File Request from 1:11/70; unlisted
nodes and points welcome.
EUROPE:   from the ComNet in LUXEMBOURG BBS (++352) 466893;
          In ITALY: Bits against the Empire BBS: +39-461-980493

ANONYMOUS FTP SITES:
  UNITED STATES:  ftp.eff.org (192.88.144.4) in /pub/cud
                  etext.archive.umich.edu (141.211.164.18)  in /pub/CuD/cud
                  halcyon.com( 202.135.191.2) in /pub/mirror/cud
                  aql.gatech.edu (128.61.10.53) in /pub/eff/cud
  AUSTRALIA:      ftp.ee.mu.oz.au (128.250.77.2) in /pub/text/CuD.
  EUROPE:         nic.funet.fi in pub/doc/cud. (Finland)
                  ftp.warwick.ac.uk in pub/cud (United Kingdom)

COMPUTER UNDERGROUND DIGEST is an open forum dedicated to sharing
information among computerists and to the presentation and debate of
diverse views.  CuD material may  be reprinted for non-profit as long
as the source is cited. Authors hold a presumptive copyright, and
they should be contacted for reprint permission.  It is assumed that
non-personal mail to the moderators may be reprinted unless otherwise
specified.  Readers are encouraged to submit reasoned articles
relating to computer culture and communication.  Articles are
preferred to short responses.  Please avoid quoting previous posts
unless absolutely necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views represented herein do not necessarily represent
            the views of the moderators. Digest contributors assume all
            responsibility for ensuring that articles submitted do not
            violate copyright protections.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thur, 19 Aug 1993 04:21:09 CDT
From: CuD Moderators <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 1--Frequency of CuDs and Mail Service

There were be three CuD issues this week because of the volume of
material in hand, and two next week. We hope to resume a weekly
schedule eventually. We've received few complaints about "too many
CuDs," but if two or three a week is an overload, we'd appreciate
hearing from readers.

Sometimes mail to those on the mailing list bounces for no apparent
reason. If you suspect that CuDs are not arriving in a timely fashion,
or if you receive them only sporadically, let us know and we'll try to
track down the problem.

The CuD data base on "hacker crime" remains small. We're dependant on
readers for local information in their area (including, if possible, a
complete cite to the pointer).  There appear to be many cases of
"small time," teenage phone phreaking, minor intrusions, and other
"juvenile mischief," but little substantive "hardcore" crime. This
means either that we (and media such as the LA Times, NY Times, or
Chicago Tribune) are not reporting it consistently, or that there is
not as much "hacker crime" as often alleged. This is an empirical, not
an ideological issue, and without the facts it's difficult to make an
accurate assessment. If readers have any thoughts, or better--any data
from their local papers or police blotters, please pass them along.

------------------------------

Date: 13 Aug 93 09:38:20 EDT
From: David Lehrer <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 2--Akron BBS Update 6/30/93 - Seeking Equip't Return

       Below is the letter sent to the Ohio Bureau of Criminal
Investigation, and Stahl's lightning-fast reply to his letter.  Stahl was
sent virtually the identical letter, with a copy sent to the mayor (he's
Dir. of Public Safety).  Stahl seems to be very proactive in attempting
to deflect any potential publicity or further involvement.  (Strange,
last summer he couldn't create *enough* publicity about what he had done!)

*************************

Mark Lehrer
P.O. Box 275
Munroe Falls, Ohio
August 2, 1993

Mr. John Lenhart, Superintendent
Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation
P.O. Box 365
London, Ohio  43140

Dear Mr. Lenhart:

On May 5, 1993, and June 10, 1993 I was notified by the Munroe
Falls Police Department that certain computer-related materials
seized from my home on June 18, 1992 were available for me to pick
up at the MFPD headquarters. On June 18, 1993, I appeared at
headquarters to pick up those materials.  I was handed a carton
containing 53 diskettes and a cold drink coaster, and signed a form
acknowledging their receipt.  A copy of that form is page number
four of this letter.

Upon examining the diskettes that were returned to me, I discovered
that they constitute only a relatively small proportion of the
materials to which I am entitled under the terms of my plea
agreement. There should have been approximately 350 floppy disks
returned of 1.2MB and 1.44MB size.  According to the agreement as
specified in open court and documented in the transcript of the
hearing of case 92-07-1789 of March 8, 1993 at pp. 4-6, I am
entitled to all of the diskettes seized from my home except those
that contain sexual material, i.e. approximately sixty-five percent
of those taken.

I have been advised by Steve Stahl, chief of the Munroe Falls
Police Department, that the materials in question were turned over
to the Ohio Bureau of Investigation.  Stahl's advisement letter was
unsolicited, and for your elucidation is page five of my letter.

Inasmuch as the index file of all of my diskettes and their
contents was among the files seized by the MFPD, I am not now in a
position to specify all of the diskettes to which I am entitled
that have not yet been returned to me.  I therefore request that
that index file, which was stored on the fixed disk of The Akron
Anomaly bulletin board system at the time it was taken, be returned
to me as soon as practicable but not later than August 27, 1993.

I further request that the following items, which contain no sexual
materials and which are not among those already returned to me, be
returned to me as soon as practicable but not later than August 20,
1993:

Page 1 of 5
+++++++++++++++++++++++

  A. The following items, as they are described by MFPD chief Stahl
       on his inventory list during his seizure of The Akron
       Anomaly bulletin board system on June 18, 1992:

       1.  Line Item 10: 1-5 1/4 Disc w/ viruses [note 1]

       2.  Line Item 11: 3-3M DC 600A Data Cartridge Tapes [note 2]

       3.  Line Item 12: Letter w/check (fee)

       4.  Line Item 13: OS2 IBM Operating System [note 3]

       5.  Line Item 14: 1-Notebook w/documentation

       6.  Line Items 15-18: 5 diskette storage cases [note 4]

       7.  Line Item 19: 1 bag w/misc. records

           [note 1]: antivirus
           [note 2]: containing 60MB each
           [note 3]: this is IBM REGISTERED software
           [note 4]: line items 15-18 also comprise the bulk of
                     diskettes taken; these storage cases and paper
                     bags were used to convey them from my home

  B. The following data and files taken by, but not documented by,
       MFPD chief Stahl during his seizure of the Akron Anomaly
       bulletin board system on June 18, 1992:

           All data and files seized, from The Akron Anomaly
           bulletin board system and those diskettes, tapes, and
           printed matter, that comprise electronic mail between
           users of the The Akron Anomaly bulletin board system.

  C. Disclosure of, the location of, and the return of, all data
       copied from The Akron Anomaly bulletin board system,
       diskettes, tapes, or hard-copy records.

Additionally, I request that a good faith, diligent effort be made
during the same period to identify and return all other diskettes
not containing sexual material.

Upon receiving the file containing the index mentioned above, I
shall prepare and submit to you a list of the diskettes that,
according to my records, remain in the possession of the
authorities and do not contain sexual materials.

In case there is any doubt about the need to comply with these
requests or of their urgency, please note that the materials in
question were used in connection with the operation of a computer
bulletin board enjoying the protection of the First Amendment of
the United States Constitution, which guarantees freedom of speech
and of the press, and the Article I, Section 11 of the Ohio
Constitution, which contains similar guarantees.

Page 2 of 5
+++++++++++++++++++++

It should also be noted that certain of the materials in question,
such as files containing electronic mail between users of The Akron
Anomaly bulletin board system, constitute electronic communications
protected under the federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
Each additional day of delay in returning those materials
exacerbates these violations and increases the exposure of the
responsible authorities to liability, including personal liability.

I look forward to your cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,

 [signed]

Mark Lehrer

cc:  S. Steele, Electronic Frontier Foundation, Wash., DC

*******************************

This letter was delivered via U.S. Mail on Friday, August 6, 1993.

************************************************

August 4, 1993

Mark Lehrer
58 Bermont Ave.
Munroe Falls, Ohio  44262

Dear Mr. Lehrer,

     In response to your letter of August 2, I would offer
the following:

     Items 3 and 7 listed in section A are currently in
our evidence room.  Though the Court's order may not require
the return of these items, you may schedule an appointment
to pick them up.  The other items are neither in our possession
or control.  As I previously advised you on June 21, 1993,
everything else was turned over to BCI, P.O.Box 365, London,
Ohio, 43140.  You will have to contact them for further
information.

Sincerely,

 [signed]

chief Steve Stahl

*************************************************

Items 3 and 7 in Stahl's 4th letter above reference Section A from
the letter dated August 2, 1993 (received by Stahl on August 3,
1993) from The Akron Anomaly sysop Mark Lehrer.  Items 3 and 7
identify line items from Stahl's inventory list that he wrote on
June 18, 1992 during his Akron Anomaly seizure.  (search warrant
execution)

Item 3   {Line item 12: Letter w/check (fee)}
Item 7   {Line item 19: 1 bag w/misc. records}

Please note:

1) The pick-up process has changed.  No longer come in any time
between 7:30AM -  3:30PM to pick up and sign for your property.
Now it's "schedule an appointment to pick them up."

2) Stahl's 3rd, and unsolicited, advisement letter said he had "no
more of the equipment that was seized. The rest of it was turned
over to BCI."  While he may or may not have any more 'equipment'
than he yet again states, Stahl specifically left unaddressed both
Section B: [email], and Section C: [any copied data remaining in
his possession].

3) Stahl states "The other items are neither in our possession or
control."

4) Stahl states "As I previously advised you on June 21, 1993,
everything else was turned over to BCI, . . "

5) Let's repeat that one more time: ". . *everything* else was
turned over to BCI, . . "

Regards,
David

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1993 12:32:06 -0500
From: [email-masked](Timothy Mark Lawless)
Subject: File 3--SAVE SIMTEL-20!!!

[email-masked] (Ralph Sims)
Newsgroups--comp.dcom.modems
Date--5 Aug 1993 08:37:33 -0700

The tremendous resources of the SIMTEL-20 archives are in danger of
being eliminated.  SIMTEL-20 has been the premier repository of public
domain and shareware files for most operating systems and is scheduled
to be dismantled (for economic reasons, I'd imagine).

The following is offered in an attempt to provide information
on how we might be able to "Save SIMTEL-20".

IF YOU WANT TO KEEP SIMTEL20 ALIVE AND FUNCTIONAL BEYOND SEPTEMBER *
********************************************************************

The following are things that you can do:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If you are using SIMTEL20 from a University site, private site, other
government site, or anywhere EXCEPT a MILNET site:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    1.	Write *your* congressman, with copies to your state senators,
    	and to Senator Domenici.  Senator Domenici is the Senior
    	Senator from New Mexico.  SIMTEL20 is located at White Sands
    	New Mexico.  Sen. Domenici did not make this decision, but he
    	is concerned about events that affect others' perceptions of
    	New Mexico and may be able to help in this matter, if asked
    	nicely.  You might also send letters to Vice President Al Gore
    	and President Bill Clinton.

    	Pete V. Domenici 		Vice President Gore
    	U.S. Senator			[email-masked]
    	Dirksen #434
    	Washington D.C. 20510		President Clinton
    					[email-masked]
    		or

    	Pete V. Domenici
    	U.S. Senator
    	Room 10013
    	Federal Building and US Courthouse
    	Albuquerque. N.M. 87102
    	Ph: (505) 766-3481
    	FAX: (505) 766-1443

    	Clearly state how you as an educator, student, taxpayer,
    	businessman, etc., have used SIMTEL20 and how you have
    	benefitted from it.

    	Refer only to yourself and/or your organization or company
    	based on first-hand knowledge.  Include your complete name and
    	the name and address of your organization, as well as your
    	e-mail address.

    	Do not include any second-hand information.  Keep it strictly
    	factual in a calm, rational, non-abusive tone.  NO FLAMING!
    	Flaming is not helpful in making the point.

    	Choose your words carefully.

    2.  Consider if you or your institution would pay a small fee to
    	have access to SIMTEL20, for example, $100 per year for large
    	Universities or companies -- say >10,000; $50 per year for
    	smaller institutions or companies; free to K-12).  If you
    	think this is true, send a message to that effect to:

    	[email-masked]

    	Technet, a self-funded non-profit organization, is trying to
    	determine if it could recover its costs if it took over
        SIMTEL20.

    3.	Pass this message on to others that you think may feel the
    	same way you do - but have not seen it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If you are using SIMTEL20 from a MILNET site - ONLY:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    1. Send a message to:

    	COL Ronald R. Boykin
    	505-678-1131, DSN: 258-1131
    	[email-masked]

    	COL Boykin has been told that it is not part of WSMR's
    	mission to continue SIMTEL20.  He did not make the decision.

    	Clearly state how you as a military person or military
    	support person have used SIMTEL20 and how you have
    	benefitted from it.

    	Refer only to yourself and/or your organization or company
    	based on first-hand knowledge.  Include your complete
    	organization name and address, as well as your own name and
    	rank/position.

    	Do not include any second-hand information.  Keep it strictly
    	factual in a calm, rational, non-abusive tone.  NO FLAMING!
    	Flaming is not helpful in making the point.

    	Choose your words carefully.

    2.  Consider if you or your organization would pay a small fee to
    	have access to SIMTEL20, for example, $100 per year for large
    	sites -- say >5,000;  $50 per year for smaller sites.  If
    	you think this is true, send a message to that effect to COL
    	Boykin and to:

    	[email-masked]

    	Technet, a self-funded non-profit organization, is trying to
    	determine if it could recover its costs if it took over
        SIMTEL20.

    3.	Pass this message on to others that you think may feel the
    	same way you do - but have not seen it.
++
           halcyon.com, Public Access Internet  (Mi T-1 es su T-1)
           Seattle, +1.206.382.6245, Everett 672.4554 (login: new)
   NWNEXUS, Inc., P.O. Box 40597, Bellevue, WA  98015-4597, +1.206.455.3505

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1993 14:08:07 -0700
From: Jim Warren <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 4--UPDATE #23-AB1624: Clarification of Bill's Obstructors

((MODERATORS' NOTE: Jim Warren has been instrumental in pushing for
enactment of California legislation that would make state documents
electronically available to the public at no cost.  THIS IS NOT simply
an issue for Californians. Not only would out-of-state persons benefit
from the availability, but the legislation could stimulate routine
electronic access to other local, state, and federal documents as
well. Further, the obstacles to such legislation in California provide
lessons for those engaged in similar projects elsewhere. Jim has been
meticulous in sharing both the strengths and weaknesses of his
lobbying efforts so that the rest of us can design strategies
accordingly.

Why is non-commercial, no-cost electronic access desirable?

FOR INTERNET users, this means that government information can be
easily accessed, stored on ftp and other sites, and distributed across
the nets.

FOR BBS users, it means that documents can be up/downloaded to a
favorite BBS and shared as needed.

For both, it means increasing the availability of public information.
One danger of commercial or other for-fee services is that, while the
information may be "available," distribution can be restricted by
copyright or other protections that would inhibit general
distribution. As a consequence, it means that they entire
cybercommunity should support the California legislation and urge that
state and local electronic access be implemented in their area as
well.))

++++++++

Political cynicism and distrust may be amply justified, rampant and in
vogue, but they can muddy accurate information and harm good
judgement.

Legi-Tech and State Net are the two largest online distributors of
computerized California legislative data - AND, in addition, of major
value-added related information.

In past postings, I have [at least!] implied that (a) they were
[probably?] opposing AB1624, because it might harm their high-priced
info sales and/or (b) they - especially State Net - [might?] use their
significant "insiders'" connections to oppose the bill behind the
scenes.  (At least three officers of State Net have been high-level
legislative staffers and two currently hold powerful appointments
outside the Legislature.)

I THINK I WAS WRONG I am now reasonably convinced that I was wrong;
that I did Legi-Tech and State Net and some of their principals a
dis-service.

  I was led to believe that they were opposing the bill because a
legislator had reportedly said their lobbyist had contacted him/her,
opposing the bill.  I now believe that was either an incorrect
impression by that legislator, or the communication was inaccurately
reported to me - by the time it passed through several parties.

STATE NET AND LEGI-TECH ARE "ON THE RECORD" BASICALLY SUPPORTING AB1624
  Their only on-the-record public statements were at the May 24th
Assembly Rules Committee hearing.  There, the President of State Net
explicitly said (1) they supported public access and the intent of the
bill; (2) their only concern was that it not preclude their continuing
to have the access they currently have - for which they have and would
continue to pay (i.e., via overnight magtape copies for
outrageously-excessive state fees); and, (3) if they eventually use
the online access proposed in AB1624, they did not want to be charged
for that use if others were getting/using the access/data for free.
An imminently-reasonable position.

  At that time, the director of Legi-Tech explicitly agreed that this
was also exactly their position.

Before and since then, I have had conversations with Legi-Tech folks,
and more-recently [finally] with State Net volks.  I shoulda called,
earlier (o' course - heh! - they also have phones and could get my
number :-).

IN SUMMARY - ASSUME THEY'RE NOT OPPOSING AB1624
  In spite of the possibility that I'm being misled [now, rather than
earlier], my operating assumption now is that (1) I was wrong; (2) my
earlier source was wrong; (3) Legi-Tech and State Net are *not*
opposed to AB1624 and are *not* working against it; and, (4) their
positions are exactly as publicly stated in that May Committee
meeting.  Not a problem.

SO - WHO *IS* THE PROBLEM?  (WHY HASN'T AB1624 SAILED THRU THE
  LEGISLATURE?) I am now convinced that the *only* problems are coming
  from two (and perhaps three) of the Legislature's top [unelected]
  administrators - who *clearly* want to charge for at least some
  users of electronic public records and who *may* be opposed to
  "loosing control" of "their" public data.  The known problemvolks -
  as evidenced by their writings and/or statements by them, directly,
  or by their staff are:
1.  Chief Legislative Counsel Bion Gregory, in charge of the Legis.Data Ctr.
2.  Assembly Chief Administrative Officer Bob Connelly.
[May have more to say after I speak with the third person, if and when he
returns my call.]

I apologize for [probably] misleading you and [probably] misrepresenting
Legi-Tech and State Net.  With telepathy and perfection, I will not make
such [probable] errors again.

--jim
Jim Warren, columnist for MicroTimes, Government Technology &
BoardWatch [email-masked]  -or-  [email-masked]

P.S. - I have prominently reported that Legi-Tech and State Net
collected ~$285,000 in 1992 for "distributing legislative information"
to state agencies, and another $300K or so from cities, plus another
~$300K from counties, for the same service.

  From two different sources - one of them independent of these
companies - I have heard estimates that only 5% to 10% of the data
they sell is directly public records covered by AB1624; that the large
majority of what they sell are a variety of value-added services.

  I have no way of checking it - especially relative to sales to state
and local agencies, as opposed to sales to corporations, lobbyists,
etc.

  But, I *am* certain that much of the data those companies peddle is
in value-added services and information beyond that covered by AB1624
- indexing, cross-referencing, automatic notification, hand-keyed
reports, customized information, political-contributor data, etc.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1993 15:18:03 -0700
From: Rob Kling <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 5--Digital Library Use (DLU) Project Information

                        --------
                Digital Library Use (DLU)
                      Project
               ___________________________

           University of California, Irvine
                   August 1993

DLU Focus

The expanding Internet is rapidly evolving into a pervasive
national infrastructure which supports "digital libraries,"
among other key services. Digital libraries include an array of
commercial and public on-line information services which provide
citations, abstracts and full texts of diverse materials
including newspaper and magazine articles, journals, books,
reports and similar materials. Learning from current experiences
with electronic libraries would help technologists, scholars,
policy-makers and other interested parties make the best use of
scarce human resources and equipment. The main alternative to
learning from experience is the much riskier and more costly
strategies of technological push and informational imperialism
(using the assumption that more information is necessarily
better).

There are rich enough digital library sources available in the
major universities from which to learn about the conditions that
foster their effective use and their value and costs as seen by
the institution and end users. These services include journal
and news files on commercial services like Dialog, abstracting
services like Eric, and distributed information archives like
the rapidly expanding Internet Gophers. We will use a variety of
assessment criteria in  addition to measures of the amounts of
information available, numbers of people who have potential
access, and simple usage statistics. The DLU project will
examine the use of specific digital library facilities in
specific academic communities to identify and understand their
value to and effective use by different groups.

DLU Project

The DLU Project will consist of several substudies of
digital library use:

% A description of groups and subgroups of faculty
and graduate students who are aware of and make use
of digital text sources.

% An examination of the ways that scholars and
students use digital library sources in the context
of specific activities, and relative to their
working conditions, availability of other source
materials, their skills, and computing support.

% An assessment of what kind of information is
wanted and accessed through digital networks.

% An analysis of criteria of usefulness and
effectiveness of potential and actual specific
kinds of systems and their relationship to
teaching, study and scholarship.

Surveys of the faculty and graduate students in a university
will be helpful to learn about scholar's awareness, exploratory
use, and routine uses of specific digital library services.
Intensive interviews and observations of a small, but diverse
group of faculty and students will help learn about the ways
that conceptualize digital libraries, find them relevant to
their work, use them, and have computing resources to support
effective use. By developing sound methods to examine these
issues, we hope to inform both users and the system planners
about effective use of emerging information services. We also
hope to better understand how the expansion of online
information services will affect our changing society.

DLU Participants

The DLU Project is being conducted by faculty and students from
UCI's Department of Information and Computer Science. Professor
Rob Kling is coordinating the project which will be administered
by UCI's Center for Research on Information Technology and
Organizations. We are currently seeking research support.

For more information about the DLU project, contact
Professor Rob Kling Department of Information and
Computer Science, University of California, Irvine, CA
92717. Telephone (714) 856-5160/5955. Fax (714)
856-8091. Internet: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1993 23:12:31 EDT
From: Nikki Draper <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 6--CPSR's 1993 Annual Meeting

           COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS FOR SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
                            ANNUAL MEETING

                              October 16 - 17, 1993

                  University of Washington, South Campus Center
                             Seattle, Washington, USA

                             Envisioning the Future:
                             A National Forum on the
             National Information Infrastructure and Community Access

          Co-sponsored by the American Society for Information Science
                       Pacific Northwest Chapter (ASIS-PNC)

************************************************************************
Saturday, October 16th

8:00 - 9:00  Registration/Coffee & Tea

9:00 - 9:15   Welcome to the CPSR Annual Meeting  -  Aki Namioka

9:15 - 10:15  Keynote Address - Bruce McConnell,
                                Office of Management and Budget

           "Shaping National Information Infrastructure Policy"

    Bruce McConnell, Chief of Information Policy at the Office of
    Information and Regulatory Affairs in the Office of Management and
    Budget (OMB), will present his views on the major NII issues now
    facing the administration.  He has been with OMB since 1985 and
    became head of Information Policy in 1992.  He now chairs the
    inter-agency task force responsible for developing federal
    information policy for the Information Infrastructure Task Force.

10:15 - 10:45  Break

10:45 - 12:15  Panel Discussion - Moderated by Eric Roberts

                      "Public Access to Internetworks"

    Public access to the Internet (and other major networks) is a critical
    issue in any discussion about an "electronic highway".  Panelists
    representing a wide variety of perspectives, including representatives
    from the Pacific Northwest, will present their views.

  Panelists:
    Phil Bereano
    Craig Buthod, Deputy City Librarian and Chief Operating Officer,
                  Seattle Public Library
    Kenneth Kay, Computer Science Policy Program
    Laura Breeden, FARnet

12:15 - 1:45  Lunch break

1:45 - 3:00   Panel Discussion - Moderated by Andrew Gordon

                   "Municipal Information Infrastructure"

    City and other government agencies are exploring possibilities for
    developing municipal networks.  In this panel a city official as well as a
    representative from the state regulatory agency and a representative of
    commercial interests will offer their insights and interests.

  Panelists:
    Joe Hommel - Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission
    Jane Noland - Seattle City Council

3:00 - 4:30   Panel Discussion - Moderated by Douglas Schuler

                       "Networking in the Community"

    Community networks exist and are being developed all over the U.S.
    Panelists from various community networks will present their
    perspectives on the state of community networking now and in the future.

  Panelists:
    Tom Grundner, National Public Telecomputing Network
    Parker Lindner, New Media Matters
    Evelyn Pine, CPSR/Berkeley member and former Executive Director of the
        Community Memory Project
    Roy Sahali, CLAMDYP (Computing Literacy and Access Making a Difference for
        Youth Projects)

4:30 - 4:45    Break

4:45 - 6:15  Panel Discussion - Moderated by Marc Rotenberg

             "Computers and Democracy - What's the Connection?"

    What aspects of democracy might be improved with computers?  Which ones
    probably wouldn't.  This is a concept that is in the public eye, and an
    idea that will probably be tested soon.  What can be done to promote
    wise uses of computers in this critical area?

  Panelists:
    Jeff Chester, Center for Media Education
    Jamie Love, Taxpayers Assets Project
    Leah Lievrouw, Department of Telecommunication and Film,
    University of Alabama

6:15 - 6:30  Closing Remarks - Jeff Johnson

************************************************************************

7:00 - 7:30  No host bar at banquet site

7:30 CPSR Banquet - Fundraiser
    (Vegetarian food will be available)

  + Presentation of the 1993 Norbert Wiener Award to
    The Institute for Global Communications (IGC)
    Presenter: Eric Roberts

    The CPSR Board of Directors unanimously award the 1993 Wiener
    Award to IGC to recognize the work the organization has done to
    use network technology to empower previously disenfranchised
    individuals and groups working for progressive change.  Geoff Sears,
    IGC's Executive Director, will be present to accept the award.

  + Banquet Address and Interactive Event -  Kit Galloway, Electronic
    Cafe International

    Kit Galloway of Electronic Cafe International in Santa Monica,
    California will present his innovative approach to electronic
    communication using phone lines, slow-scan television, and other
    technology.  Using videotapes and a live demonstration with CPSR
    chapters in Los Angeles and other locations, Kit will discus how the
    Electronic Cafe concept has been used in a variety of settings.
    Electronic Cafe International has staged global events with poets,
    children, and communities in France, Nicaragua, Japan, as well as a
    variety of American cities.

    Be sure to attend the banquet and participate in this provocative
    encounter with multimedia community networks !!

************************************************************************

Sunday, October 17th (preliminary schedule)

8:30 - 9:30 Coffee & Tea

9:30 - 11:30 Workshop sessions I

11:30 - 1:00 Lunch break

1:00 - 3:00 Workshop sessions II

3:00 - 3:30 Break

3:30 - 5:00 CPSR NII vision document discussion - Moderated by Todd Newman

5:00 - 5:30 Closing Remarks - CPSR NII program future - Marc Rotenberg

************************************************************************

                                 ABOUT CPSR

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility stands alone as the only
national, non-partisan, public-interest organization dedicated to
understanding and directing the impact of computers on society.  Decisions
regarding the use of this technology have far-reaching consequences that
necessarily reflect the basic values and priorities of the people who govern
their use.

Founded in 1981, CPSR has 2000 members from all over the world
and 22 chapters across the country.  Each of our members is an
important participant in the dialogue that is helping to shape the
future use of computers in the United States.  Our National Advisory
Board includes one Nobel laureate and three winners of the Turing
Award, the highest honor in computer science.

We believe that as the influence of computers continues to permeate every
aspect of our society, it is important that professionals become active
participants in formulating the policy that governs computer use and access.
CPSR welcomes any and all who share our convictions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                             Registration Form

Please pre-register by September 24 to guarantee seating.  Registrations at
the door will be accepted pending space.

Name _________________________________________________________________

Address ______________________________________________________________

City _______________________________  State _____________ Zip _________

Telephone __________________________ E-mail_____________________________

CPSR member                             $55 _______

Non member                              $75 _______

1 year CPSR membership & registration  $100 _______

Low income/student                      $25 _______

Banquet ticket                  $40 X ___ = _______

Additional donation to further CPSR's work  _______

Total enclosed                              _______

For more information contact CPSR, 415-322-3778, [email-masked],
or Aki Namioka, 206-865-3249, [email-masked].  Send completed registration
form with check to: CPSR, P.O. Box 717, Palo Alto, CA  94301

------------------------------

End of Computer Underground Digest #5..63
************************************