Subject: Cu Digest, #5.64
From: Cu-Digest <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1993 23:45:21 CDT

Computer underground Digest    Sun  Aug 22 1993   Volume 5 : Issue 64
                           ISSN  1004-042X

       Editors: Jim Thomas and Gordon Meyer ([email-masked])
       Archivist: Brendan Kehoe
       Shadow-Archivists: Dan Carosone / Paul Southworth
                          Ralph Sims / Jyrki Kuoppala
                          Ian Dickinson
    Copy Ediot: Etaoin Shrdlu, III

CONTENTS, #5.64 (Aug 22 1993)
File 1--Has the EFF SOLD OUT?!?
File 2--EICAR '93 conference / members' meeting
File 3--Re SKIPJACK Review (CuD 5.60)
File 4--CuNews  ("Smart Kards," Comp Snooping at IRS/FBI, & more)
File 5--CuNews -- ("Hackers need not Apply" & more)
File 6--Table of Contents for Volume #1 (of P/H Msg Bases)
File 7--Graduate Paper Competition for CFP-'94

Cu-Digest is a weekly electronic journal/newsletter. Subscriptions are
available at no cost electronically from [email-masked]. The
editors may be contacted by voice (815-753-0303), fax (815-753-6302)
or U.S. mail at:  Jim Thomas, Department of Sociology, NIU, DeKalb, IL
60115.

Issues of CuD can also be found in the Usenet comp.society.cu-digest
news group; on CompuServe in DL0 and DL4 of the IBMBBS SIG, DL1 of
LAWSIG, and DL1 of TELECOM; on GEnie in the PF*NPC RT
libraries and in the VIRUS/SECURITY library; from America Online in
the PC Telecom forum under "computing newsletters;"
On Delphi in the General Discussion database of the Internet SIG;
on the PC-EXEC BBS at (414) 789-4210; and on: Rune Stone BBS (IIRG
WHQ) (203) 832-8441 NUP:Conspiracy; RIPCO BBS (312) 528-5020
CuD is also available via Fidonet File Request from 1:11/70; unlisted
nodes and points welcome.
EUROPE:   from the ComNet in LUXEMBOURG BBS (++352) 466893;
          In ITALY: Bits against the Empire BBS: +39-461-980493

ANONYMOUS FTP SITES:
  UNITED STATES:  ftp.eff.org (192.88.144.4) in /pub/cud
                  etext.archive.umich.edu (141.211.164.18)  in /pub/CuD/cud
                  halcyon.com( 202.135.191.2) in /pub/mirror/cud
                  aql.gatech.edu (128.61.10.53) in /pub/eff/cud
  AUSTRALIA:      ftp.ee.mu.oz.au (128.250.77.2) in /pub/text/CuD.
  EUROPE:         nic.funet.fi in pub/doc/cud. (Finland)
                  ftp.warwick.ac.uk in pub/cud (United Kingdom)

COMPUTER UNDERGROUND DIGEST is an open forum dedicated to sharing
information among computerists and to the presentation and debate of
diverse views.  CuD material may  be reprinted for non-profit as long
as the source is cited. Authors hold a presumptive copyright, and
they should be contacted for reprint permission.  It is assumed that
non-personal mail to the moderators may be reprinted unless otherwise
specified.  Readers are encouraged to submit reasoned articles
relating to computer culture and communication.  Articles are
preferred to short responses.  Please avoid quoting previous posts
unless absolutely necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views represented herein do not necessarily represent
            the views of the moderators. Digest contributors assume all
            responsibility for ensuring that articles submitted do not
            violate copyright protections.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1993 20:23:18 CDT
From: Jim Thomas <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 1--Has the EFF SOLD OUT?!?

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has been co-opted by the
telecommunications conglomerates and has, as a consequence, lost it's
integrity and credibility. Or so some critics would have us believe.
Especially since the re-organization of The EFF, allegations that they
have "sold out" by accepting contributions from telephone
companies--or worse, that EFF now is implicitly in the employ of
telephone companies--persist.  This allegation seems not only
unfounded, but does a disservice to the cybercommunity by falsely
maligning the integrity of one of the two (CPSR being the other) most
active and effective organizations working to establish and preserve
the rights of the electronic realm.

Because I am a dues-paying member of EFF and have recently sent my
subscription fee to CPSR, I am not a dispassionate observer. Both
groups are effective, and--even when in disagreement, I respect the
goals and strategies chosen by each group. Therefore, as a member of
EFF, I'm troubled by some of the public commentary I've read on
Usenet, BBSes, and public access systems that continue to
irresponsibly tarnish the integrity of EFF with false allegations.

Some of the basis for criticism rests on rumors. Perhaps some derives
from malice. But, the bulk may simply be a lack of information about
EFF's funding sources and an imperfect understanding about the
relationship between funders and recipients and the obligations that
relationship entails. I see nothing *inherently* improper about EFF
(or any organization) accepting funds from organizations whose goals,
ideology or practices may not overlay perfectly with those of the
recipients.  Let's look at a few issues.

1. HOW MUCH DOES EFF RECEIVE FROM TELECOS?  According to EFF sources,
roughly eight percent of their $1.6 million operation budget comes
from telecom sources, with no more than five percent coming from a
single source.  Fiscal ratios change, and whether the exact sum is
seven or 11 percent matters nil.  This is a useful chunk of resources,
but hardly substantial. It is certainly not a sufficient amount to
cause a crisis if it were withdrawn. The remainder of EFF's resources
are reported to derive from private donors, membership fees, and
revenue-generating activities (such as sales of t-shirts).  Both in the
Usenet discussion group (comp.org.eff.talk) and in its newsletters,
EFF has been open about its funding sources and has never concealed or
minimized contributions by corporate donors, including telecos.
Therefore, EFF's alleged ethical malfeasance does not lie in failure
to conceal its funding resources.  Nor does it lie in a dependency
relationship with the donors.

2. WHAT OBLIGATIONS DOES EFF OWE THE TELECOS? The broader question
here centers on what obligations a donor might expect from the
recipient. It is hardly unusual for organizations to accept funds from
contributors whose interests overlap. Examples include contributions
by R.J. Reynolds tobacco and The Playboy Foundation to the ACLU to--as
a personal example--my own former funding by the National Institute of
Justice.  Does the ACLU support freedom of speech because it is funded
in part by those with a commercial interest in protecting it?  Should
the ACLU abstain from taking a position on smokers'/non-smokers'
rights because of funding sources?  Should I have refused federal
funding lest I be accused (as I once was) of being little more than a
paid lackey of federal police and social control interests? Criticism
of EFF for its funding sources and suspicion of the strings that might
be attached extend into the lives of many of us.  However, it is rare
that general donations require any substantive changes in the behavior
or principles of recipients. It is also common for well-endowed donors
to spread their largess to a variety of groups with ends often
(seemingly) antithetical to each other and even to the donor.

There is no evidence whatsoever that EFF has changed its direction to
satisfy donors. In fact, the recent re-organization at EFF, however
much some of us might be disappointed by the emphasis, is fully
consistent with their original policy statement. In fact, a careful
reading of the founding EFF statement and its recent public policy
formulations indicate that the re-organization was primarily
structural rather than the reflection of a new philosophy. As the
CPSR/EFF/ACLU coalition in the 2600 Magazine Washington Mall incident
of 1992 suggest, the EFF continues to involve itself with those types
of issues that led to its founding. And, as Mike Godwin's continued
involvement with EFF and his willingness to help those in need of
legal advice attest, EFF remains the first resource most of us think of
when we seek computer-related legal assistance.  Those who know Mike
and EFF founders John Barlow and Mitch Kapor cannot, in their wildest
fantasies, imagine even the most generous donor influencing their
behavior or principles.

3. WHAT ARE THE ETHICAL/LEGAL OBLIGATIONS OF RECIPIENTS?  Federal and
state statutes, as well as various professional codes of ethics,
specify obligations that might lead to a conflict of interest. The
attorneys amongst us can elaborate on these.  However, there is
absolutely no evidence that the EFF approaches even the strictest
conflict of interest threshold. Its coincidental interests with
telecos involve policy and legislation affecting primarily the
development of an "information highway" and the attendant technology.
The EFF is not litigating on behalf of any telecos, it is not
(according to EFF sources and their documents) serving in a client
relationship with them, and it is engaged in no activity that--at
least by any apparent logic--could be construed to place the EFF in a
conflict of interest situation.  EFF's initiative and perseverance in
the Steve Jackson Games litigation would seem prima facie evidence
that the EFF is committed to principle and not to funding expedience.

There is room for considerable intellectual disagreement over the
focus, goals, and organization of EFF, CPSR, and, I suppose, even CuD.
But the one issue that is indisputable is the integrity, commitment,
and credibility the EFF possesses.  Because there is nary a soupcon of
evidence to to suggest cooptation, it's time to end this unnecessary
and destructive bickering about EFF's funding sources.

Those who have taken the trouble to follow the public policy
statements and read the EFF electronic and hardcopy newsletters, will
find nothing new in my comments. Those who do not receive the
newsletter and do not follow CuD's periodic summaries of the
activities of groups such as the EFF and CPSR might have been
influenced by rumors and misinformation. Those of us who are concerned
about the future of "cyberspace" should remember our debt to these
groups. Part of that debt means that we squelch false rumors that risk
irreparably tarnishing the reputations and subverting the effectiveness
of groups from whose actions we all benefit.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 93 09:46:16 GMT
From: Anthony Naggs <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 2--EICAR '93 conference / members' meeting

                         EICAR '93 Conference

    At a recent meeting the board of EICAR (European Institute for
    Computer Anti-Virus Research), decided to cancel the planned
    London conference this year.  I understand this is due to low
    participation in other computer security / anti-virus events this
    year.

    However, there will instead be a Members' Meeting in Hamburg
    (Germany), the proposed agenda is:
        25 November 1993
                14:00   Working Group 3 (Legal Questions) meeting
                16:00   Working Group 1 (Antivirus Technologies) meeting
                18:00   Joint Dinner

        26 November 1993
                09:00   Discussion of the Working Groups results
                11:00   Members Meeting
                13:00   Lunch

EICAR '94 Conference

    The next EICAR conference is proposed to be from 14 to 16 November
    1994 in the vicinity of London.

(Disclaimer; I am not an official spokesman for EICAR).

 +++
Anthony Naggs                 Email:                  Paper mail:
Software/Electronics Engineer [email-masked] PO Box 1080, Peacehaven
& Computer Virus Researcher                    East Sussex  BN10 8PZ
Phone: +44 273 589701                                 Great Britain

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1993 16:15:47 CST
From: [email-masked](Roy M. Silvernail)
Subject: File 3--Re SKIPJACK Review (CuD 5.60)

In comp.society.cu-digest #5.60:

> Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1993 15:23:28 -0400 (EDT)
> From: [email-masked](Dorothy Denning)
> Subject--File 5--SKIPJACK Review  (Encryption Background and Assessment)

>     LEAF decoders that allow an authorized law enforcement official to
>     extract the device identifier and encrypted session key from an
>     intercepted LEAF.  The identifier is then sent to the escrow
>     agents, who return the components of the corresponding device
>     unique key.  Once obtained, the components are used to reconstruct
>     the device unique key, which is then used to decrypt the session
>     key.

This is the first time I've heard anyone clarify that point.  One of my
main objections to the Clipper proposal was that once a legal tap had
been authorized, all further communications with that Clipper chip were
compromised unless the court order only released the session key.  LE
has NO NEED for the unique device key.  They legitimately need only the
session key for the lawfully intercepted communications.

> 5.   Secrecy of the Algorithm
>
> The SKIPJACK algorithm is sensitive for several reasons.  Disclosure of
> the algorithm would permit the construction of devices that fail to
> properly implement the LEAF, while still interoperating with legitimate
> SKIPJACK devices.  Such devices would provide high quality
> cryptographic security without preserving the law enforcement access
> capability that distinguishes this cryptographic initiative.

> However, while full exposure of the internal details of SKIPJACK would
> jeopardize law enforcement and national security objectives, it would
> not jeopardize the security of encrypted communications.  This is
> because a shortcut attack is not feasible even with full knowledge of
> the algorithm.  Indeed, our analysis of the susceptibility of SKIPJACK
> to a brute force or shortcut attack was based on the assumption that
> the algorithm was known.

These sections actually makes me feel better about SKIPJACK in general.
I kind of suspected that the real reason for secrecy was to protect LE
access.  (I'd still prefer the algorithm be made public)

Now, anyone care to speculate about the security of the LEAF itself?
This whole discussion centered upon SKIPJACK security, but I don't
recall whether the LEAF is _actually_ encrypted by SKIPJACK.  A SKIPJACK
key and a Clipper key are both 80 bits, but that doesn't mean you have
to crypt them the same way.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 12:19:00 BST
From: [email-masked]
Subject: File 4--CuNews  ("Smart Kards," Comp Snooping at IRS/FBI, & more)

Smart Kards Are Coming
======================
A group of corporations, including MasterCard, Visa, Citicorp, Amex,
IBM, AT&T, Microsoft, and Apple, have formed the Smart Card Forum.
The cross-industry group will promote the use of smart-card technology
for payment, transit, health care, identification, and security
applications.
(Information Week August 9, 1993 pg 10)

Computer Snooping at the IRS and FBI
====================================
The Internal Revenue Service is implementing a $23 billion computer
modernization project that will give it online access to taxpayer
information.  In the midst of this, the GAO has revealed that as
many as 350 employees in the IRS's Southeast Region (Atlanta) have
been snooping into taxpayer records. So far, 154 have been
disciplined.

The GAO (Government Accounting Office) has also said that access to
the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) databases has
been systematically abused by law enforcement workers and associates.
Cases cited as examples include an officer using NCIC to track down
his ex-girlfriend (he later killed her), a terminal operator checking
customers for her drug-dealing boyfriend...just to be sure they
weren't undercover agents, and a dispatcher running background checks
on her fiance's political opponents. The FBI declines comment, but
the GAO has recommended that Congress make it a criminal offense to
access the network for private use.
(Information Week. August 9, 1993. pg 13)

Wipe Before Discarding
======================
A Canadian citizen, who purchased a used hard drive from a local
computer store, found himself in possession of a goldmine of personal
data and information.

The used drive contained the personnel records of every employee in
the Alberta land title offices in Edmonton and Calgary. It included
salaries, social security numbers [presumably the Canadian equivalent],
and performance evaluations. It also held lengthy, confidential memos
about plans to turn over the land title department to a private
agency.
(Information Week August 9, 1993 pg 60)

Pay Your Rent
=============
Speaking of Edmonton, Alberta...  A landlord's association there has
formed a group to share information about tenants. The online database
can be searched with little more than a name or driver's license
number.  The landlords say the primary purpose is to keep track of
people who skip out on rent payments, or damage property. They answer
concerns about discrimination by saying that anyone caught abusing
the system will be forbidden from using it in the future.
(Information Week August 9, 1993 pg 66)

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 00:23:00 BST
Subject: File 5--CuNews -- ("Hackers need not Apply" & more)

If It's Blurry You Shouldn't Be Watching
========================================
A patented digital technology from VideoFreedom Systems (San Diego,
CA) may be the key to getting an intrusive Congress off their
censorship bandwagon. The technology would allow television (and movie
theatres!) to blur objectionable scenes and sounds. Much the same way
the news programs can distort the voice and image of a confidential
source who wishes to remain that way. The technology would allow those
viewers who want to see "the good parts" to clean-up the image to
their tastes.  (Information Week August 16, 1993 pg 10)

Hackers Need Not Apply
======================
Information Week magazine recently conducted a "fax vote"
self-selected survey of readers. The questions asked about policies,
thoughts, and practices regarding hiring ex-hackers to help out with
computer security.  Of the those who choose to respond, 15% said they
had been approached for a job by a hacker. Only 6% said they had ever
hired a hacker to test security.  Of their concerns about doing so,
over half said "they might compromise security". About 35% expressed
concerns over "legal problems".

Some of the write-in comments included:

"Their crimes are difficult to prove and almost impossible to
prosecute.  Not only do they go unpunished, but hiring them makes
crime pay."

"What happened to our idea of ethics and morality? I don't believe
only felon hackers are smart enough to foolproof our computer
systems."

"They could sell ideas back to your competitor. These people will do
anything for a buck".

Refer to Information Week, August 16, 1993 pg 29 for full details.

This Tag Line Meets Corporate Standards
=======================================
Duke Power Company (Charlotte, NC) has issued a memo to supervisors
and managers that forbids employees from expressing their religious or
political opinions over the company's Email, voice mail, or fax
machines. The company says the memo arises out of problems with people
using 'tag lines' (short sentences at the end of messages) on the
company's Profs mail system. The company did not forbid tag lines, but
issued guidelines for their content.  According to the company few of
its 18,000 employees see the rules as a restriction of free speech.
(Information Week. August 16, 1993 pg 60)

Woodstock for Hackers and Phreaks
=================================
Newsweek magazine (Aug 16, 1993 pg 47) features a story on the End of
The Universe conference in the Netherlands. According the Information
Week's summary, the Newsweek article reports that attendees had at
least one thing in common with the Woodstock guests....they believe
that rules were meant to be broken.  (IW's summary is on pg. 64,
August 16, 1993)

Don't Copy That (Microsoft) Floppy!
===================================
Information Week reports that an article in the San Francisco paper
THE REVOLVER (Aug 9, pg 1) says some lawyers claim that Microsoft
might enjoy too much influence over federal prosecutors. It seems that
an unusually high number of cases against software pirates are
launched on Microsoft's behalf. The number is higher compared with
Lotus or WordPerfect for example.  (Information Week. August 1, 1993.
pg 64)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 93 22:48:47 EDT
From: lodcom (LOD Communications)
Subject: File 6--Table of Contents for Volume #1 (of P/H Msg Bases)

((MODERATORS' NOTE: In CuD #5.39, we reviewed the BBS Message Base
File Archive Project compiled by LODCOM. We were impressed by the
comprehensiveness of the project and favorably reviewed it as a
valuable set of documents for scholars and curious readers who are
interested in BBS "underground" culture of the 1980s.  The collection
has been expanded, and the current offerings are described below)).

++++

   Volume I of the Hack/Phreak BBS Message Base File Archive Project
has been completed. This file is 19 KB in length and contains the
Table's of Contents for each of the 20 Message Base Files. Volume II
is being compiled and is expected to be completed and sent out to
those who have ordered the Set sometime in September. Volume III is
expected to be completed in November 1993.  Should any additional
material come our way, a fourth and final Volume will be made.

   The newest version of the Order Form File will be sent to you
sometime in the next week. Should you find the following TOC's
interesting and you want to order the files do so with the NEW order
form. If you have already ordered using the old order form that is
fine, as the price change is retroactive since it is to YOUR benefit.
As you will note when you see the new order form and information file,
ALL the volumes created will cost $39.00 personal, $99.00 commercial.
That is, for the above price you receive ALL the volumes, not just one
volume. The price change was made due to the good response to the
initial order form.

   When Volume #2 is completed a file similar to this one with its
TOC's will be mailed to you. If you wish to be taken off this mailing
list just say so.  If not, Lodcom will continue to keep you up to date
on the projects' progress.  Disseminate this File as you see fit.

   If you have any questions feel free to email us anytime.

VOLUME #1 CONTENTS:
+++++++++++++++++++

 LOD Communications (c) 1993: VOLUME #1 List of Hack/Phreak BBS Message Bases
 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 BBS NAME           A/C  SYSOP(S)        # MSGS   DATES      KBYTES   PROPHILE
 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 Alliance BBS       618  Phantom Phreaker  113    2/09/86 -   215       YES
                         Doom Prophet      G,P    6/30/86

 Black Ice Private  703  The Highwayman    880    12/1/88 -   560       YES
                                           P,U    5/13/89

 Broadway Show/     718  Broadway Hacker   180    9/29/85 -   99        YES
 Radio Station BBS                                12/27/85

 CIA BBS            201  CIA Director      30     5/02/84 -   30         NO
                                                  6/08/84

 C.O.P.S.           305  Mr. Byte-Zap      227    11/5/83 -   196        YES
                         The Mechanic      G,R,U  7/16/84

 Face To Face       713  Montressor        572    11/26/90 -  400        YES
                         Doc Holiday              12/26/90

 Farmers Of Doom    303  Mark Tabas        41     2/20/85 -   124        YES
                                           G      3/01/85

 Forgotten Realm    618  Crimson Death     166    3/08/88 -   163         NO
                                                  4/24/88

 Legion Of Doom!    305  Lex Luthor        194    3/19/84 -   283        YES
                         Paul Muad'Dib *   G,P    11/24/84

 Metal Shop Private 314  Taran King        520    4/03/86 -   380        YES
                         Knight Lightning  P,R,U  5/06/87

 OSUNY              914  Tom Tone          375    7/9/82 -    368        YES
                         Milo Phonbil *    G,U    4/9/83

 Phoenix Project    512  The Mentor        1118   7/13/88 -   590        YES
                         Erik Bloodaxe *   G,R    2/07/90

 Plover-NET         516  Quasi Moto        346    1/14/84 -   311        YES
                         Lex Luthor *      G      5/04/84

 Safehouse          612  Apple Bandit      269    9/15/83 -   251        YES
                                           G,U    5/17/84

 Sherwood Forest I  212  Magnetic Surfer   92     5/01/84 -    85        YES
                                           P,U    5/30/84

 Sherwood Forest ][ 914  Creative Cracker  100    4/06/84 -    200       YES
                         Bioc Agent 003 *  G      7/02/84

 Split Infinity     408  Blue Adept        52     12/21/83 -   36        YES
                                                  1/21/84

 Twilight Phone     ???  System Lord       17     9/21/82 -    24         NO
                                                  1/09/83

 Twilight Zone/     203  The Marauder      108    2/06/85 -   186        YES
 Septic Tank             Safe Cracker *    G,U    7/24/86

 WOPR               617  Terminal Man      307    5/15/84 -   266        YES
                         The Minute Man *  G,U    1/12/85
 _____________________________________________________________________________

               Alliance BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  Alliance BBS Pro-Phile written by the Sysop (Phantom Phreaker)
  III. 103 Messages From the Alliance BBS Message Base
  IV.  10 Messages From the Alliance Sub-Board on The Metal Shop BBS
  V.   G-Philes by the System Operators
         1. Busy Line Verification (BLV) [Phantom Phreaker]
         2. An Overview of the Teradyne 4Tel System [Doom Prophet]
         3. Automatic Number Identification (ANI) [Phantom & Doom Prophet]
         4. The Facility Assignment and Control System (FACS) [Phantom]
         5. Step By Step Switching System Notes [Phantom Phreaker]
         6. Automatic Message Accounting (AMA) [Phantom Phreaker]
         7. Telephone Signalling Methods [Doom Prophet]
 _____________________________________________________________________________

            Black Ice Private BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files (File 1)
  II.  Black Ice Private BBS Pro-Phile by Erik Bloodaxe (File 1)
  III. 231 Messages from the General Sub-Board (File 1)
       96 Messages from the Telenet [now called SprintNet] Sub-Board (File 1)
  IV.  48 Messages from the Tymnet Packet Switching Network Sub-Board (File 2)
       54 Messages from the 'Other Networks' Sub-Board (File 2)
       99 Messages from the UNIX Sub-Board (File 2)
       57 Messages from the VAX/VMS Sub-Board (File 2)
       17 Messages from the PRIMOS Sub-Board (File 2)
       36 Messages from the 'Other Operating Systems' Sub-Board (File 2)
  V.   45 Messages from the Vocal Hacking [Social Eng.] Sub-Board (File 3)
       100 Messages from the Advanced Telecom Sub-Board (File 3)
       97 Messages from the SPCS/OSS Sub-Board (File 3)
  VI.  Black Ice Private BBS Userlist as of Mid-May 1989 [Estimated] (File 3)

       880 Messages Total
 _____________________________________________________________________________

             BroadWay Show BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.    General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.   Broadway Show BBS Pro-Phile
  III.  Portions of the Broadway Show Message Base
  IV.   Portions of The Radio Station Message Base

  There are approximately 180 Messages within this File.
 _____________________________________________________________________________

                  CIA BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  30 messages from the CIA BBS Message Base

 _____________________________________________________________________________

               C.O.P.S. BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  C.O.P.S. BBS Pro-Phile written by Lodcom with help from the Co-Sysop
  III. 227 messages from the COPS Message Base (Including Sub-Boards)
  IV.  G-Philes by the System Operator
         1. How to Crash your Favorite BBS's
         2. MCI Access Numbers
         3. ITT Served Area Codes by State
         4. 'Notes on the Network' Technical Info
         5. Mini-Directory to Compuserve
         6. COPS Apple Tips
         7. Interesting Scanner Frequencies

 _____________________________________________________________________________

              Face to Face BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files (File 1)
  II.  Face to Face BBS Pro-Phile written by Doc Holiday [Co-Sysop] (File 1)
  III. 196 Messages from the Face to Face [General] Sub-Board (File 1)
  IV.  64 Messages from the In the News Sub-Board (File 2)
       88 Messages from the Conferences & Seminars Sub-Board (File 2)
       30 Messages from the Internet Sub-Board (File 2)
       48 Messages from the Operation SunDevil Sub-Board (File 2)
       47 Messages from the UNIX OS Sub-Board (File 2)
       31 Messages from the Telecom Sub-Board (File 2)
       62 Messages from the Hacking Sub-Board (File 2)
       6 Messages from the Private Sector Sub-Board (File 2)

       572 Messages Total

 _____________________________________________________________________________

             Farmers Of Doom! BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  FOD BBS Pro-Phile written by the Sysop (Mark Tabas)
  III. 41 messages from the FOD Message Base
  IV.  Phreak Philes by the System Operator
         1. Equal Access and the American Dream
         2. Better Homes and Blue Boxing, Parts i, ii, and iii.

 _____________________________________________________________________________

           Forgotten Realm BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  13 Messages from the Packet Switching Networks Sub-Board
       40 Messages from the Unix/Bell Computer Systems Sub-Board
       56 Messages from the Telecom International Sub-Board
       23 Messages from the Preferred User Sub-Board

       132 Messages Total

 _____________________________________________________________________________

           Legion of Doom! BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  LOD BBS Pro-Phile
  III. LOD Main Menu Commands
  IV.  132 Messages from the LOD Main Msg Base, 'Trashing', & Local Sub-Boards
  V.   62 Messages from LOD and LOH Group (Private) Sub-Boards
  VI.  LOD Internal Phreak/Hack Philes
         1. Social Engineering an ESS (Paul Muad'Dib)
         2. South Fla. COSMOS Wire Centers (Unknown Soldier & Gary Seven)
         3. The TEL-TEC Long Distance Service (Lex Luthor)
         4. Jiffy Scan V1.2 Telenet Node Scanning Pgm (Gary Seven)
         5. The History of ESS (Lex Luthor)
         6. CNA Listing as of 9/84 (Sharp Razor and X-Man)
         7. Hacking Bell's CAROT System (Lex Luthor)
         8. Hacking the HP3000 (Gary Seven)
         9. Credit Bureau Incorporated (Lex Luthor)
        10. Hacking Burroughs Computers (Blue Archer)
        11. IBM's JCL - Job Control Language (Master of Impact)
        12. Hacking Primos (Carrier Culprit)
 _____________________________________________________________________________

        Metal Shop Private (MSP) BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files (File 1)
  II.  Metal Shop BBS Pro-Phile by Taran King & Knight Lightning (File 1)
  III. MSP General Menu Commands Including the MSP USERLIST (File 1)
  IV.  166 Messages from the Phreak, Hack, and MS-Elite Sub-Boards (File 1)
       25 Messages from the Social Engineering Sub-Board (File 1)
       44 Messages from the New User Sub-Board (File 1)
       6 Messages from the Royal Court Sub-Board (File 1)
  V.   100 Messages from the General Discussion Sub-Board (File 2)
       100 Messages from the Phrack Sub-Board (File 2)
       70 Messages from the Phreak/Hack Sub-Board (File 2)
       10 Messages from the MSP/Alliance Private Access Sub-Board (File 2)

       521 Messages Total
______________________________________________________________________________

                  OSUNY BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files (File 1)
  II.  OSUNY BBS Pro-Phile (File 1)
  III. Portions of the Osuny Message Base (File 1)
  IV.  Portions of the Osuny Message Base (File 2)
  V.   Undated OSUNY Userlist (File 2)
  VI.  OSUNY Bulletins aka G-Philes [Approximately 30] (File 2)

  Files 1 & 2 contain 375 messages from the original OSUNY Message Base.
 ______________________________________________________________________________

             Phoenix Project BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files (File 1)
  II.  Phoenix Project BBS Pro-Phile by Erik Bloodaxe (co-sysop) (File 1)
  III. Messages from the First Incarnation of the Phoenix Project:
          100 Messages from the Packet Switched Networks Sub-Board (File 1)
          58 Messages from the General Discussion Sub-Board (File 1)
          39 Messages from the 'Instructor' Sub-Board (File 1)
  IV.  Some G-Philes written by the sysop, The Mentor: (File 1)
       1. The Conscience of a Hacker (aka The Hacker's Manifesto)
       2. A Novice's Guide to Hacking (1989 Edition)
       3. A Multi-User Chat Program for DEC-10's
       4. DCL Utilities for VMS Hackers
  V.   Messages from the Second Incarnation of the Phoenix Project:
          132 Messages from the General Discussion Sub-Board (File 2)
          26 Messages from the 'We the People' Sub-Board (File 2)
          77 Messages from the Basic Telecom Sub-Board (File 2)
          58 Messages from the Hacking Sub-Board (File 2)
          46 Messages from the Phone Company Sub-Board (File 2)
          80 Messages from the SprintNet Packet Network Sub-Board (File 2)
          49 Messages from the BT Tymnet Sub-Board (File 2)

          31 Messages from the Internet Sub-Board (File 3)
          60 Messages from the Other Packet Networks Sub-Board (File 3)
          69 Messages from the UNIX Sub-Board (File 3)
          18 Messages from the VAX/VMS Sub-Board (File 3)
          28 Messages from the Primos Sub-Board (File 3)
          41 Messages from the HP-3000 Sub-Board (File 3)
          42 Messages from the Other Operating Systems Sub-Board (File 3)
          27 Messages from the Programming Sub-Board (File 3)
          27 Messages from the Social Engineering Sub-Board (File 3)
          72 Messages from the Electronic Banking Sub-Board (File 3)
          32 Messages from the Radio & Electronics Sub-Board (File 3)
          11 Messages from the PC's Sub-Board (File 3)
          35 Messages from the Altered States Sub-Board (File 3)
          59 Messages from the Security Personnel Sub-Board (File 3)
          59 Messages from the Phrack Sub-Board (File 3)
          49 Messages from the 'Friends of the Family' PVT Sub-Board (File 3)
  VI.  Directory of Downloadable Files Online (2nd Incarnation) (File 3)

       1325 Messages Total

 _____________________________________________________________________________

               Plover-NET BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.    General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.   Plover-NET BBS Pro-Phile written by the Sysop (Quasi Moto)
  III.  Approximately 346 messages from the Plover-NET Message Base
  IV.   18 of the 35 Phreak Philes that were online.

 _____________________________________________________________________________
              The Safehouse BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  Safehouse BBS Pro-Phile
  III. 269 messages from the Safehouse Message Base (Phreak & Merits sub's)
  IV.  The Safehouse Userlist (undated)
  V.   Some Phreak Philes that were available on The Safehouse
         1. The Fine Art of Telesearching (by The Dragyn)
         2. Compuserve Access Numbers (by The Hacker)
         3. How to Box and Not Get Caught (by The Dragyn)
         4. Moscow Phones
         5. The Best of TEL: Trashing (by The Dragyn)
         6. Secret Signals (by Texas Star)

 _____________________________________________________________________________

           Sherwood Forest I  BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  Sherwood Forest I  BBS Pro-Phile written by Lord Digital
  III. Sherwood Forest I  Userlist
  IV.  46 messages from the Phreak and Hack Sub-Boards of the Message Base
  V.   46 messages from the Knights of Shadow Phreak Group's Private Sub-Board

  Total Number of Messages in this File: 92.

 _____________________________________________________________________________

          Sherwood Forest II BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  Sherwood Forest II BBS Pro-Phile
  III. 100 Messages from the SF2 Message Base
  IV.  G-Philes by the Co-Sysop, Bioc Agent 003
         1. Hacking Morality by Big Brother
         2. The Book of Bioc
         3. Hacking Western Union's Easylink by Bioc & TUC
         4. Bioc's Basic Telecom: Parts I through VII
 _____________________________________________________________________________

           Split Infinity BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  Split Infinity BBS Pro-Phile written by Sir Francis Drake
  III. 52 Messages from the Split Infinity Phreak Sub-Board Message Base

 ______________________________________________________________________________

           Twilight Phone BBS Message Base File Table of Contents
  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  17 messages from the Twilight Phone Message Base

 _____________________________________________________________________________

           Twilight Zone BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.   General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.  Twilight Zone BBS Pro-Phile written by the Sysop
  III. Twilight Zone Userlist
  IV.  Portions of the Twilight Zone Message Base (Including Sub-Boards)
  V.   Portions of The Septic Tank Message Base
  VI.  G-Philes by the System Operator
         1. Septic Tank INWATS Database Volume I - updated 6-26-86
         2. Understanding the Traffic Services Position System (TSPS)
         3. GETPAS - RSTS/E Basic Program to Hack Passwords.
         4. Inside RSTS Volumes I through IV.
         5. Hacking RSTS/E V9.X-XX

 _____________________________________________________________________________

                    WOPR BBS Message Base File Table of Contents

  I.    General Remarks About the BBS Message Base Files
  II.   WOPR BBS Pro-Phile
  III.  307 messages from the WOPR Message Base (Including the Hack Sub-Board)
  IV.   G-Philes by the System Operator
          1. How To Use GTE Telenet
          2. Introduction to Dec-10 and Dec-20 Computers

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

   End of Volume #1 TOC File.

LOD Communications: Leaders in Engineering, Social and Otherwise ;)

Email: [email-masked]
Voice Mail: 512-448-5098
Snail Mail: LOD Communications
            603 W. 13th
            Suite 1A-278
            Austin, Texas USA 78701

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1993 18;21:43 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: File 7--Graduate Paper Competition for CFP-'94

                    STUDENT PAPER COMPETITION

Full time college or graduate students are invited to enter the
student paper competition.  Papers must not exceed 2500 words and
should address the impact of computer and telecommunications
technologies on freedom and privacy in society.  Winners will
receive a scholarship to attend the conference and present their
papers. All papers should be submitted by November 1, 1993 (either
as straight text via e-mail or 6 printed copies) to:

                      Prof. Eugene Spafford
                 Department of Computer Science
                        Purdue University
                  West Lafayette, IN 47907-2004
         E-Mail: [email-masked]; Voice: 317-494-7825

                          REGISTRATION

Registration information and fee schedules will be announced by
September 1, 1993.  Inquiries regarding registration should be
directed to RoseMarie Knight, Registration Chair, at the JMLS
address above; her voice number is 312-987-1420.

------------------------------

End of Computer Underground Digest #5.64
************************************