Subject: Cu Digest, #5.66 -- Special Biblio Resource Issue
From: Cu-Digest <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1993 23:58:22 CDT

Computer underground Digest    Thu  Aug 26 1993   Volume 5 : Issue 66
                           ISSN  1004-042X

       Editors: Jim Thomas and Gordon Meyer ([email-masked])
       Archivist: Brendan Kehoe
       Shadow-Archivists: Dan Carosone / Paul Southworth
                          Ralph Sims / Jyrki Kuoppala
                          Ian Dickinson
    Copy Ediot: Etaoin Shrdlu, III

CONTENTS, #5.66 (Aug 26 1993)
File 1--SPECIAL ISSUES ON BIBLIOS AND RESOURCES
File 2--Computerization & Controversy (Biblio Resource)
File 3--40Hex is now a print magazine
File 4--"In a Different Format" (Review of gender/comp thesis)
File 5--"Smoking Dope on IRC--Play/Performance in Cyberspace"
File 6--Classifying Grad Theses & Dissertations as "private?"
File 7-- O'Reilly Internet Information Service
File 8--"The Internet Letter"--Internet's First Commercial Digest

Cu-Digest is a weekly electronic journal/newsletter. Subscriptions are
available at no cost electronically from [email-masked]. The
editors may be contacted by voice (815-753-0303), fax (815-753-6302)
or U.S. mail at:  Jim Thomas, Department of Sociology, NIU, DeKalb, IL
60115.

Issues of CuD can also be found in the Usenet comp.society.cu-digest
news group; on CompuServe in DL0 and DL4 of the IBMBBS SIG, DL1 of
LAWSIG, and DL1 of TELECOM; on GEnie in the PF*NPC RT
libraries and in the VIRUS/SECURITY library; from America Online in
the PC Telecom forum under "computing newsletters;"
On Delphi in the General Discussion database of the Internet SIG;
on the PC-EXEC BBS at (414) 789-4210; and on: Rune Stone BBS (IIRG
WHQ) (203) 832-8441 NUP:Conspiracy; RIPCO BBS (312) 528-5020
CuD is also available via Fidonet File Request from 1:11/70; unlisted
nodes and points welcome.
EUROPE:   from the ComNet in LUXEMBOURG BBS (++352) 466893;
          In ITALY: Bits against the Empire BBS: +39-461-980493

ANONYMOUS FTP SITES:
  UNITED STATES:  ftp.eff.org (192.88.144.4) in /pub/cud
                  etext.archive.umich.edu (141.211.164.18)  in /pub/CuD/cud
                  halcyon.com( 202.135.191.2) in /pub/mirror/cud
                  aql.gatech.edu (128.61.10.53) in /pub/eff/cud
  AUSTRALIA:      ftp.ee.mu.oz.au (128.250.77.2) in /pub/text/CuD.
  EUROPE:         nic.funet.fi in pub/doc/cud. (Finland)
                  ftp.warwick.ac.uk in pub/cud (United Kingdom)

COMPUTER UNDERGROUND DIGEST is an open forum dedicated to sharing
information among computerists and to the presentation and debate of
diverse views.  CuD material may  be reprinted for non-profit as long
as the source is cited. Authors hold a presumptive copyright, and
they should be contacted for reprint permission.  It is assumed that
non-personal mail to the moderators may be reprinted unless otherwise
specified.  Readers are encouraged to submit reasoned articles
relating to computer culture and communication.  Articles are
preferred to short responses.  Please avoid quoting previous posts
unless absolutely necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views represented herein do not necessarily represent
            the views of the moderators. Digest contributors assume all
            responsibility for ensuring that articles submitted do not
            violate copyright protections.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1993 23:12:45 CDT
From: CuD Moderators <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 1--SPECIAL ISSUES ON BIBLIOS AND RESOURCES

CuD has been a bit remiss this year in running bibliographic items and
research-related resources for scholars and others studying
Techno/computer-culture. Over the next two weeks, we will run several
special issues, beginning with this one, listing bibliographic items
and summarizing resources that might be of interest to researchers. We
will try to keep the bulk of the items confined to the special issues
so that those who are not interested in such things can delete the
entire issue.

As some know, CuD also tries to keep track of student theses and
dissertations related to computer culture. If you know of grad student
works broadly related to computer culture, please let us know so that
we can add them to our files and, on occasion, put folks in contact
with each other. We're also interested in receiving copies of
completes works (articles, conference papers, conference transcripts)
that we can place in the ftp archives.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1993 15:17:11 -0700
From: Rob Kling <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 2--Computerization & Controversy (Biblio Resource)

                   Computerization and Controversy:
                  Value Conflicts and Social Choices

         Charles Dunlop         and    Rob Kling (Editors)
     Univ. of Michigan - Flint        Univ. of California - Irvine

Many students, professionals, managers, and laymen are hungry for
honest, probing discussions of the opportunities and problems of
computerization.  This anthology introduces some of the major social
controversies about the computerization of society. It highlights some
of the key value conflicts and social choices about computerization.
It helps readers recognize the social pro-cesses that drive and shape
computerization, and to understand the paradoxes and ironies of
computerization

Some of the controversies about computerization covered in this
collection include:
*    the appropriateness of utopian and anti-utopian scenarios
     for understanding the future
*    whether computerization demonstrably improves the
     productivity of organizations
*    how computerization transforms work
*    how computerized systems can be designed with social
     principles in view
*    whether electronic mail facilitates the formation of new
     communities or undermines intimate interaction
*    whether computerization is likely to reduce privacy and
     personal freedom
*    the risks raised by computerized systems in health care
*    the ethical issues when computer science researchers accept
     military funding
*    the extent to which organizations, rather than "hackers,"
     are significant perpetrators of computer abuse

The authors include Paul Attewell, Carl Barus, Wendell Berry, James Beninger, Jo
hn Bennett*, Alan Borning, Niels Bjorn-Anderson*, Chris
Bullen*, Roger Clarke, Peter Denning, Pelle Ehn, Edward Feigenbaum, Linda Garcia
, Suzanne Iacono, Jon Jacky*, Rob Kling, Kenneth
Kraemer*, John Ladd, Kenneth Laudon, Pamela McCorduck, Jan Mouritsen, David Parn
as, Judith Perrolle*, James Rule, John Sculley, John
Shattuck, Brian Smith, Clifford Stoll, Lindsy Van Gelder, Fred Weingarten, Josep
h Weizenbaum, and Terry Winograd.
           (*'d authors have contributed new essays for the book.)

Each of the seven sections opens with a 20 page analytical essay
which identifies major controversies and places the articles in
the context of key questions and debates. These essays also point
the reader to recent additional research and debate about the
controversies.

Published by Academic Press (Boston). 758 pp.    1991.   $39.95
(North America)

ISBN: 0-12-224356-0    Phone: 1-800-321-5068  Fax: 1-800-235-0256

            See Below for Ordering Information

8/18/91

                                To Order
                    Computerization and Controversy:
                   Value Conflicts and Social Choices
               by Charles Dunlop and Rob Kling (Editors)

                            In North America

Individuals may purchase copies directly from Academic Press for
$39.95 + tax and shipping by calling 1-800-321-5068, faxing 1-800-235-0256
or by writing to:

          Academic Press Ordering
          Academic Press Warehouse
          Order Dept.
          465 S. Lincoln
          Troy, Missouri 63379

Faculty who offer courses about social issues in computing may order
examination copies from Academic Press. Write on university letterhead
or enclose a business card, and include the following information
about your course: class name and number, department, # of students,
books used in the past, adoption deadline. Send your requests for
examination copies to:

          Amy Yodannis
          College and Commercial Sales Supervisor
          Academic Press
          1250 Sixth Avenue
          San Diego, CA 92101
          Tel: 619-699-6547        Fax: 619-699-6715

                      Outside North America

Please contact your local Academic Press/Harcourt Brace Jovanovich office,
including:

           Harcourt Brace Jovanovich,  Ltd (Western Europe and UK)
           24-28 Oval Rd.
           London NW1 7DX  U.K.
           Telephone: 44-71-267-4466  Fax: 44-71-482-2293
           Telex: 25775 ACPRESS G  Cable: ACADINC LONDON NW1

           Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Group Pty, Ltd
          (Australia/New Zealand)
           Locked bag 16
           Marrickville, NSW 2204  Australia
           Telephone: (01) 517-8999  Fax: (02) 517-2249

           Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Japan Inc.
           Ichibancho Central Bldg
           22-1 Ichibancho,
           Chiyoda Ku, Tokyo 102 Japan

------------------------------

Subject: File 3--40Hex is now a print magazine
From: fortyhex (geoff heap)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 93 17:19:02 EDT

     40Hex, the world's most popular underground virus magazine is now
available in two versions -- the familiar online magazine and a new
printed magazine.

     In the past two and a half years, 40Hex has become the most popular
virus magazine in the underground.  The new printed magazine (dubbed
40Hex Hardcopy) is intended for anyone who wishes to learn as much as
they can about computer viruses -- from the source, the virus writers.

     Each issue will contain --

        o A complete virus disassembly, fully commented in the 40Hex
          tradition,

        o Detailed programming articles, intended for those fluent in
          assembly,

        o Introductory articles intended to help those on all levels of
          ability, and

        o Interviews with virus writers and virus researchers.

     Also included is an editorial column, which will provide a forum
for discussions about any virus related issue.  Submissions from both
sides of the argument are welcome, and will be given an equal voice.

     Subscriptions --

The price for 40Hex Hardcopy is $35 per year for individuals, $50 per
year for corporations.  The magazine is bimonthly (six issues per year).

The online magazine is available free of charge from many privately
operated BBSs.  You may receive a disk with the latest issue from us for
$5.  Please send a note specifying whether you would like a 5 1/4 or a 3
1/2 inch disk.

     Correspondence --

Subscription requests should be addressed to
        Subscriptions
        40Hex Magazine
        PO Box 252
        New City, NY, 10956

Article submissions should be addressed to
        Articles
        40Hex Magazine
        PO Box 252
        New City, NY, 10956

Letters to the editors should be addressed to
        The Editors
        40Hex Magazine
        PO Box 252
        New City, NY, 10956

if you have access to internet E-Mail, you can send a note to
        [email-masked]

note: manuscripts will not be returned to the sender unless they are
accompanied by postage.  All submissions must be marked "manuscript
submitted for publication."

     The online magazine will still be published, and will remain
separate from the new hardcopy magazine with no article overlap.

+++

                                        Leni Niles
                                        Co-Editor, 40Hex Hardcopy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1993 00:58:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked](sabina)
Subject: File 4--"In a Different Format" (Review of gender/comp thesis)

  Review of IN A DIFFERENT FORMAT: CONNECTING WOMEN, COMPUTERS, AND
                 EDUCATION USING GILLIGAN'S FRAMEWORK
       (Author: Joan Carmeichael; A Thesis in the Department of
     Educatinal Studies, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec,
                        Canada, January, 1991.
           Reviewed by Sabina Wolfson, New York University

        In reference to women's different voice, Ada
        Lovelace draws on woman's experience and woman's
        `voice' to describe an abstract mathematical process
        by using a weaving analogy: "We may say most aptly
        that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraic patterns
        just as the Jacquard-loom waves flowers and
        leaves."  This quote does not mean that only women
        were weavers, but that perhaps only a woman would
        compare algebra to flowers (Carmeichael, 1991).

Joan Carmeichael's _In a Different Format: Connecting women, computers
and education using Gilligan's framework_ presents a new way of
viewing women, computers, and education based on Carol Gilligan's
conceptual framework.  Gilligan's framework is an ethic of caring --
a interconnected web of concepts based on cooperation, relationships,
responsibility, and networking rather than, as is customary in a
framework of morality, separation and competition.

The first and last section of Carmeichael's thesis focus specifically
on Gilligan's framework and Carmeichael's application of it, while the
rest of the thesis provides a broad(?) and and thoughtful historical
reviews of women & technology, women & science, and women & education.
These historical reviews substantiate Carmeichael's suggestion that
"women are not equal participants and do not heave equal power in the
hierarchally organised industrial workplace, nor will they
automatically become equal partners in the new information workplace
based on computers."  This lack of equal power is examined through
historial reviews of women & science, women & technology, and women &
education.

* Women & science presents four women scientists, their work, and the
problems they faced, followed by a review of modern science, the male
bias of science, and how women have been and continue to be excluded.

* Women & technology discusses the rise of computers and the
Information Age, the myth that computers are `boy's toys', and how
Gilligan's framework can be applied to technological developments and
how new technology will be used.

* Women and education discusses the problems girls and women face
within the education system, the introduction of computers into
schools, how mathematics is used as a `critical filter' limiting
women's access to computers and science in general.  Carmeichael also
examines the attitudes held about women and by women: that "male
experience is...the norm, the yardstick against which any female
experience that is different is found to be deviant",the `we can, but
I can't' paradox, and others.

Bringing together history, computers, and women, Carmeichael writes:

        Women have been working with technology in the workplace
        for over a hundred years.  The first technological
        revolution in the office took place from 1880 to 1920 and
        saw the development and consolidation of the mechanical
        office and the entry of large numbers of women into the
        paid-labour force.  In the then newly organized office,
        women could hold clerical jobs - new, deskilled positions
        - as long as it was clear they could not advance to
        managerial positions.  There are two lessons to be
        learned from the first technological revolution.  One is
        that the feminization of office work did not change
        women's position in society, and, secondly, there is no
        automatic liberating quality to new technology. (Bernard,
        1984)

Carmeichael concluded her thesis by discussing how Gilligan's
framework can be applied to education and the work place.  Carmeichael
suggests that the traditional teaching style generally reflects a
`boy's style' of learning rather than a typically `girl's style' of
learning (based on cooperation and inclusion). " When we continue to
use strategies and classroom techniques predicated on competition
rather than cooperation, we preserve a macho perspective and fail to
view females on their own terms." (Lewis, 175 cited in Carmeichael,
1991)  In the workplace, Gilligan's framework can be applied by move
away from a hierarchical workplace towards a workplace of cooperation
(teams, networks, etc.) which is a viable alternative particularly in
an information-intensive environment.

Overall Carmeichael's thesis provides a strong(?) historical look at
women and science/technology/computers/education.  Carmeichael's use
of Gilligan's framework "fits" into the history she presents, but no
empirical research was conducted.

An aspect of woman and computing that Carmeichael did not discuss, but
which would fit in well with her thesis, is women and computer
mediated communication (CMC).  An emphasis on cooperation and
inclusion has been identified by Dehorah Tannen as a more typically
female method of verbal communication, and Susan Herring's research
suggests that this method of communication might persist into CMC.
Herring research suggests, as Carmeichael noted, that new technology
doesn't alter established inequalities:

        Rather than being democratic, academic CMC is power-based
        and hierarchical.  This state of affairs cannot however
        be attributed to the influence of computers communication
        technology; rather, it continues pre-existing patterns of
        hierarchy and lame dominance in academic more generally,
        and in society as a whole."

On the other hand, some research does suggest a egalitarianism in CMC.
Egalitarianism is only part of democratization.  Democratization also
implies equal access to computers and no prevention (internal or
external coercion) of participation in discussions.  There is much
research to suggest that neither of these requirements are met.
However, egalitarianism simply implies that, once individual are
participating in discussion, they do so equally.  In my ongoing
research, examining gender differences and similarities in Usenet
postings, it appears that CMC is egalitarian.  Specifically, my
research suggests that:

        (1) The average woman and man post a similar number of
            articles.
        (2) The average woman and man post articles of similar
            length.
        (3) The ratio of overall participation by gender (7% for
            women and ??% for men) appears to be similar to the
            ratio of new topic initiators by gender.  In addition,
            the amount of "follow up" discussion does not appear to
            correlate with the gender of the topic initiator.

Thus, in the public aspects of Usenet, discussions appear to be
egalitarian, though, since women only post 7% of the articles, Usenet
is clearly not democratizing.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1993 22:40:09 +200 (WET)
From: brenda danet <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 5--"Smoking Dope on IRC--Play/Performance in Cyberspace"

((MODERATORS' NOTE: The following is excerpted from a longer paper
that will be available from the CuD archives soon. The authors
feedback on the project)).

+++++

   "SMOKING DOPE" ON INTERNET RELAY CHAT: A CASE STUDY OF PLAY AND
                 PERFORMANCE IN A TEXTUAL CYBERSPACE

             Brenda Danet, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
                    <[email-masked]>
       Yehudit Rosenbaum-Tamari, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
                           <ksuyr@hujivm1>
                Lucia Ruedenberg, New York University
                    <[email-masked]>

     Like Richard Schechner (1988) we believe that play, not "work" or
"serious real life," is the ground of all of the multiple realities
(Schutz, 1977) in which we live. We are rediscovering this basic fact
of human existence in postmodern times: computers and
computer-mediated communication offer new possibilities for play, and
are altering common-sense perceptions of what constitutes "play" and
"work." We may be reverting from a stage in the history of play in
which leisure has been demarcated as a separate sphere of life
(Turner, 1974, 1986), to one in which the "playful" and the "serious"
are intertwined in ways which at least partially resemble those of
traditional cultures.

Playfulness is a prominent feature of hacker culture (Raymond, 1991;
Barlow, 1990; Meyer and Thomas, 1990), and of computerized writing of
all kinds. Its prominence grows as we move from basic word-processing
of author-absent texts (Heim, 1987; Bolter, 1991), to interactive
fiction, or hypertext (Delany and Landow, 1991; Bolter, 1991, chap.
8), and electronic mail and discussion groups (Danet and Ruedenberg,
1992), to interactive modes (Blackman and Clevenger, 1990; Reid, 1991;
Rosenbaum-Tamari, 1993; Curtis, 1992), in which writing is most
intensively experienced as "talking," and the distinction between
process and product of communication breaks down
(Kirshenblatt-Gimblett, 1976, Introduction).

 We are engaged in a case study of "deep play" (Geertz, 1972, 1991) on
Internet Relay Chat (IRC), in which the participants simulate *smoking
marihuana.* To borrow the title of a book by Victor Turner (Turner,
1967), the text we analyze is a "forest of typographic symbols."  Our
approach textual and micro-sociolinguistic, and draws heavily on the
anthropology of play and performance.

 This interaction is a form of play because (1) it offers a "flow
experience" fusing action and awareness (Csikszentmihalyi, 1977); (2)
it is dominated by the frame of "make-believe" (Bateson, 1972;
Goffman, 1974; Handelman, 1976); and thus (3) takes place in the
subjunctive mode of possibility and experimentation (Turner, 1974,
1986), thereby reducing accountability for action (Handelman, 1976;
Honigmann, 1977; Ben-Ari, 1989). Like sports and other forms of
competitive play such as verbal dueling (Huizinga, 1955; Abrahams,
1973; Dundes, 1970; Labov, 1972; Gossen, 1976), this sequence also
contains prominent elements of contest, or competition in the
demonstration of skill (Huizinga, 1955; Caillois, 1961). Among the
features fostering playfulness are the medium's ephemerality, speed,
and near-instant interactivity (Rafaeli, 1988), the masking of
identity (Kiesler, et al,, 1984; Blackman and Clevenger, 1990;
Honigmann, 1977), the influence of hacker culture (Raymond, 1991), and
the frontier-like quality of cyberspace (Barlow, 1990; Meyer and
Thomas, 1990; Melbin, 1987)--not only fully three-dimensional
cyberspace (Benedikt, 1991; Rheingold, 1992; Lanier and Biocca, 1992)
but even "primitive," two-dimensional textual cyberspace.

 Features previously thought to characterize oral, as opposed to
written, performance, are strikingly in evidence, even in some
non-synchronous modes of computer-based writing, but *especially* in
synchronous ones (Bolter, 1991: 59).  Verbal and typographic art are
important; communication is highly stylized (Reid, 1991). Participants
are conscious of their audience and pay special attention to the
display of communicative competence, to how their messages are
packaged (Bauman, 1975). Thus, the poetic function of communication is
dominant (Jakobson, 1960). The need to say in writing what we have
been used to saying in speech calls attention to the communicative
means employed in formulating the message.  The reduced transparency
of language heightens meta-linguistic awareness, and leads us to treat
graphic symbols as objects and to play with them (Cazden, 1976).

 In our analysis, we identify and describe an extraordinarily rich
variety of forms of play with identity, language, and typography, as
well as with the frames of interaction themselves. Play is at its
deepest and most complex when the participants not only simulate
smoking marihuana but communicate messages about the virtuosity of
their performance. They struggle to create a sense of "place," despite
the abstractness of cyberspace, simulate experiences of all the five
senses, and luxuriate in playing with the forbidden.

 In the last chapter of the monograph we discuss play on IRC as a
newly emerging form of popular culture. We compare it to jazz,
graffiti, comics, and improvisational theater. We elaborate on Mark
Poster's claim that "computer writing is the quintessential postmodern
linguistic activity" (Poster (1990: 128). Analysts of hacker culture
see hackers as pioneering explorers at the normative edge of society,
rather than dangerous anarchists (Barlow, 1990; Meyer and Thomas,
1990). Similarly, we see participants on IRC as pioneers exploring a
new communicative frontier, rather than immature computer science
students wasting institutional resources by "fooling around" when they
should be "working."

                              REFERENCES

Abrahams, Roger D. 1973. Playing the Dozens. In Mother Wit from the
Laughing Barrel: Readings in the Interpretation of Afro-American
Folklore. Ed. Alan Dundes, 295-309. Englewood Cliffs, NJ.

Barlow, John. 1990. Crime and Puzzlement. Electronic manuscript, also
published in Whole Earth Review, 1990, 45-57.

Bateson, Gregory. 1972. A Theory of Play and Fantasy. In Steps to An
Ecology of Mind. Ed. Gregory Bateson, 177-193.  New York: Ballantine.

Ben-Ari, Eyal. 1989. Masks and Soldiering: the Israeli Army and the
Palestinian Uprising. Cultural Anthropology 4, 4:  372-389.

Benedikt, Michael, Editor. 1991. Cyberspace: First Steps.  Cambridge,
MA: M.I.T.

Blackman, Bernard I., and Theodore Clevenger, Jr. 1990.  On-Line
Computer Messaging: Surrogates for Nonverbal Behavior. Paper presented
at the International Communication Association, Dublin, Ireland, June
24-29, 1990.

Bolter, Jay David. 1991. Writing Space: the Computer, Hyptertext, and
the History of Writing. Hillsdale, NJ:  Lawrence Erlbaum.

Caillois, Roger. 1961. Man, Play and Games. Glencoe, IL: Free Press.

Cazden, Courtney B. 1976. Play with Language and Meta-linguistic
Awareness: One Dimension of Language Experience.  Play--Its Role in
Development and Evolution. Ed. Jerome S.  Bruner, Elison Jolly and
Kathy Sylva, 603-608. New York:  Penguin.

Csikszentmihalyi, Mihalyi. 1977. Beyond Boredom and Anxiety.  San
Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

Curtis, Pavel. 1992. Mudding: Social Phenomena in Text-Based Virtual
Realities. Intertrek 3, no. 3: 26-34.

Danet, Brenda, and Lucia Ruedenberg. 1992. "Smiley" Icons:  Keyboard
Kitsch or New Communication Code? Paper presented at the Annual
Meeting, American Folklore Society, Jacksonville, Florida, October,
1992.

Geertz, 1991 [1972]. Deep Play. In Rethinking Popular Culture. Chandra
Mukerji and Michael Schudson, eds., pp.239-277. Berkeley: University
of California Press. Reprinted from Daedelus, 101, 1, 1972.

Goffman, Erving. 1974. Frame Analysis: An Essay on the Organization of
Experience. New York: Harper & Row.

Gossen, Gary H. 1976. Verbal Dueling in Chamula. In Speech Play:
Research and Resources for the Study of Linguistic Creativity. Ed.
Barbara Kirshenblatt-Gimblett, pp.121-146.  Philadelphia: University
of Pennsylvania Press.

Handelman, Don. 1976. Play and Ritual: Complementary Frames of
Meta-Communication. In It's a Funny Thing, Humour. Ed.  A.J. Chapman
and H. Foot, pp. 185-192. London: Pergamon.

Heim, M. 1987. Electric Language: A Philosophical Study of Word
Processing. New Haven: Yale University Press.

Honigmann, John. 1977. The Masked Face. Ethos 5: 263-280.

Huizinga, Jan. 1955. Homo Ludens. Boston: Beacon.

Kiesler, Sara, J. Siegel, and T.W. McGuire. 1984. Social Psychological
Aspects of Computer-mediated Communication.  American Psychologist 39:
1123-1134.

Kirshenblatt-Gimblett, Barbara, Editor. Speech Play: Research and
Resources for the Study of Linguistic Creativity.  Philadelphia:
University of Pennsylvania Press.

Labov, William. 1972. Rules for Ritual Insults. Studies in Social
Interaction. Ed. David Sudnow, 120-169. New York:  Macmillan.

Lanier, Jaron, and Frank Biocca. 1992. An Insider's View of the Future
of Virtual Reality. Special issue on "Virtual Reality: A Communication
Perspective," Ed. Frank Biocca.  Journal of Communication 42, no. 4:
150-172.

Melbin, Murray. 1987. Night as Frontier. New York: Free Press.

Meyer, Gordon, and Jim Thomas. 1990. The Baudy World of the Byte
Bandit: a Postmodernist Interpretation of the Computer Underground.
Electronic manuscript; also published in F.  Schmalleger, ed.,
Computers in Criminal Justice, Bristol, Indiana: Wyndham Hall, 1990,
pp. 31-67.

Poster, Mark. 1990. The Mode of Information:  Poststructuralisms and
Contexts. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Rafaeli, Sheizaf. 1988. Interactivity: from New Media to
Communication. Sage Annual Reviews of Communication Research, vol. 16,
Ed. Robert B. Pawkins, John M. Wiemann, and Suzanne Pingree, Advancing
Communication Science: Merging Mass and Interpersonal Processes, pp.
110-133. Beverly Hills, CA:  Sage.

Raymond, Eric S., Editor. 1991. The New Hackers' Dictionary.  With
assistance and illustrations by Guy L. Steele, Jr.  Cambridge, MA:
M.I.T. Press.

Reid, Elizabeth. 1991. Electropolis: Communication and Community on
Internet Relay Chat. Adapted from a B.A. Honors thesis, Dept. of
History, University of Melbourne, Australia.  Electronic manuscript.

Rosenbaum-Tamari, Yehudit. 1993. Play, Language and Culture in
Computer-Mediated Communication. Ph.D. dissertation proposal, Dept. of
Sociology & Anthropology, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

Schechner, Richard. 1988. Playing. Play and Culture 1, 3: 3-19.

Schutz, Alfred. 1977. Multiple Realities. Rules and Meanings.  Ed.
Mary Douglas, pp. 227-231. Hammondsworth, Middlesex:  Penguin.

Turner, Victor. 1967. The Forest of Symbols. Ithaca: Cornell
University Press.

______________. 1974. From Liminal to Liminoid: An Essay in
Comparative Symbology. Rice University Studies 60: 53-92.

______________. 1986. The Anthropology of Performance. New York: PAJ
Publications.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1993 13:49:43 CDT
From:  Trudy McCarty <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 6--Classifying Grad Theses & Dissertations as "private?"

Date--Mon, 23 Aug 1993 14:18:00 EDT
From--LISA BODENHEIMER <[email-masked]>
Subject--Interesting news story
Originally from--AUTOCAT <[email-masked]>

In yesterday's Greenville (S.C.) News, there was an article with the
headline "New interpretation says theses are records, not research
tools."  To quote from the article:

"The Federal Department of Education has ruled that master's and
doctoral theses--research papers normally bound and put on the shelves
at schools nationwide--are student 'educational records,' much like
grade reports.  That means that they can not be checked out of
libraries, sent to faraway researchers, or called up through computer
databases without the author's permission, the News & Observer of
Raleigh (N.C.) reported."

The article goes on to say that making theses and dissertations
available for public use without the author's permission is a violation
of the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act.  Ways to comply with
the law include having current students sign a waiver, tracking down
former students to get permission, or taking authors' names off theses
(this last has interesting implications for cataloging!).

There are obviously many implications for libraries here.  I'd like to
know if this has been publicized elsewhere, and what thoughts people
have (aside from utter incredulity) on this.  (FYI--this was an
Associated Press story from out of Raleigh, N.C.)  Thanks.

Lisa Bodenheimer, Clemson University, Clemson, SC  bodenhl@clemson

+++++++++++++++

((MODERATORS' NOTE: The new FERPA interpretation extends "privacy
rights" beyond reasonable bounds. The implications affect CuD and
other information-oriented journals and newsletters as well as
scholars. By sealing scholarship that has correctly been considered
public documents, a significant portion of research now threatens to
become "secret."

Classifying students dissertations and theses as "student personnel
records," thereby making them subject to FERPA seems a
misinterpretation of the Act.  At virtually every school of which I'm
aware, these are considered public documents because they are 1)
defended publicly, 2) "published" as a research contribution to a
specific field (regardless of the quality of the content), 3) placed,
usually by requirement, in a public archive of some sort (eg, U.
library, departmental office, U of Mich Microfiche).  Further, those
products that are subsidized by gov't or other grants are--if I recall
my own obligations as recipient--contractually defined as public.

While it might be possible, through intellectual aerobics and and most
obscurely narrow interpretation of FERPA to redefine theses and
dissertations as "personnel records" (and I'm not convinced that it
is), such an interpretation certainly violates the fundamental
principle of advanced-degree research by imposing restrictions that
subvert academic integrity and violate long-established principles
of free-flowing scholarly information.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1993 18:19:02 CDT
From: Brian Erwin <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 7-- O'Reilly Internet Information Service

                THE GLOBAL NETWORK NAVIGATOR
            An Internet-based Information Center
                 O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
        Free Subscription (send mail to [email-masked])

          Next month, we will launch a new experiment in online
publishing, _The Global Network Navigator_ (GNN), a free Internet-
based information center that will initially be available as a
quarterly.  GNN will consist of a regular news service, an online
magazine, The Whole Internet Interactive Catalog, and a global
marketplace containing information about products and services.

Keep Up with News of the Global Network
          The Global Network News provides a continuously updated
listing of interesting news items by and about the users of the
Internet, including announcements of new information services.

Discover New Interests in GNN Magazine
          Each issue will present articles developed around a common
theme, such as government or education.  Regular columns will cover
such topics as how to provide information services on the Internet or
help for new Internet users.  It will have several innovative
departments, such as Off The Wall Gallery, that exhibits in digital
form the works of new artists, and Go Find Out, a section containing
reviews of the Internet's most interesting resources.

How to find resources on a particular subject
          One of the most popular features of O'Reilly's _The Whole
Internet User's Guide and Catalog, by Ed Krol, is the catalog of
information resources on the Internet.   GNN features an expanded,
interactive version of this resource catalog that can be used online
to navigate to the Internet servers containing those resources.
The Online Whole Internet Catalog organizes Internet resources in the
following categories:

     - The Internet             - Arts
     - Current Affairs          - Libraries, Reference & Education
     - Science                  - Government and Politics
     - Technology               - Business
     - Humanities               - Work and Play

          In the Online Whole Internet Catalog, subscribers can not
only read about these resources, they can actually connect to them with
a click of the button.

Participate in the GNN Marketplace
          Getting good information from a company about their products
or services is almost as valuable as the product or service itself.
The Global Marketplace provides referrals to companies providing this
kind of information online through the Internet.  The Global Marketplace
also contains commercial resource centers in which subscribers may
find white papers, product brochures or catalogs, demo software or
press releases for the companies advertising in GNN Marketplace.

GNN and The World Wide Web
          Global Network Navigator is an application of the World Wide
Web (WWW), developed at CERN in Switzerland.  Users can choose any
WWW browser, such as Mosaic (available for UNIX, Windows, and the Mac)
from the National Center for Supercomputing Applications.  In addition,
O'Reilly & Associates will make available Viola, an X-based hypermedia
software environment in which we've developed a sophisticated WWW
graphical browser.  Viola makes it possible to distribute object-oriented
documents that use formatted text, graphics, icons, and scripts.  All
World Wide Web browsers can be used to access network services such as
gopher and WAIS, independent of the Global Network Navigator.

How To Subscribe
          The Global Network Navigator is available over the Internet
as a free subscription service during its launch.  GNN will be funded by
sponsors who provide commercial information of interest to our readers
in GNN Marketplace and through advertising in GNN News, GNN Magazine and
the Online Whole Internet Catalog.
          To get information on subscribing to Global Network Navigator,
send e-mail to [email-masked].

+++
Brian Erwin, [email-masked]
O'Reilly & Associates
103A Morris Street, Sebastopol CA 95472
707-829-0515, Fax 707-829-0104

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1993 21:18:51 CDT
From: CuD Moderators <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 8--"The Internet Letter"--Internet's First Commercial Digest

The Internet Letter (ISSN 1070-9851), the first commercial newsletter
on the Internet, will premiere at INET 93 and INTEROP(r)93, and a hard
copy version will be available at Booth #1334 (InterCon Systems Corp.)
in the South Hall of the Moscone Center.

The first issue of TIL provides provides the following information
about the editor:

     The editor is Jayne Levin ([email-masked]). Levin
     was former deputy bureau chief of Institutional Investor in
     Washington, D.C., and has written on the Internet for The
     Washington Post and Infoworld. Tony Rutkowski
     ([email-masked]) is special adviser. Rutkowski is
     founder and vice president of the Internet Society and
     director of technology assessment at Sprint Corp. He was
     former editor-in-chief and publisher of Telecommunications
     magazine. Levin will be available for interviews at INTEROP.
     Contact INTEROP press relations.

The table of contents for the first issue covered a wide range
of topics. The articles were professionally written and incisive:

001) INTERNET EXPERIENCING AN INFORMATION EXPLOSION
002) COMPANIES TAP INTERNET'S POWER
003) THE TOP 150 COMMERCIAL USERS ON INTERNET -- CHART
004) CIA, US GOVERNMENT INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES DEVELOP INTERNET LINK
005) REALTY FIRM IMPROVES PRODUCTIVITY, INTERNET SPEEDS REALTY TRANSACTIONS
006) MULTIMEDIA MAGAZINE TO DEBUT ON INTERNET
007) TASK FORCE PROPOSES STANDARD TO SECURE CONTENTS OF E-MAIL
008) INTERNET MERCANTILE STANDARDS EXPLORED
009) GOPHER LICENSING FEE SPARKS DISPUTE
010) FINDING GOPHER & GN
011) FROM SOFTWARE TO MAGAZINES, BUYING ELECTRONICALLY
012) CIX LAUNCHES COMMERCIAL "INFORMATION" EXCHANGE
013) SOME COMPANIES PREFER WAIS FOR BUILDING IN-HOUSE DATABASES
014) MORE ON WAIS
015) INTERNET TO ASSIST BETHANY IN ADOPTION SERVICES
016) FAQ
017) PROVIDERS' CIRCUIT
018) CIX CONTACTS -- CHART
019) TIPS & TECHNIQUES
020) POINTERS
021) TALK OF THE NET
022) WASHINGTON
023) READ ALL ABOUT IT
024) DATEBOOK

The first issue of TIL provides the following price information:

     30-DAY INTEROP SPECIAL (good until September 30)

     40% Discount off the regular rate of $249/year

     Charter subscriptions: $149/year -- a 40% discount.
     Universities and nonprofits $95/year.

     If you not completely satified, your money will be refunded.

     You can receive The Internet Letter electronically or on paper.

Although the first issue of TIL suggests that the newsletter will of
of considerable utility to Internet travellers, the issue of
commercialization of is troublesome. CuD is opposed on principal to
such commercial endeavors. In response to CuD's query, the author
presented the other side of the argument, one that we have recently
raised as well.  Namely, the time required to publish a newsletter of
reasonable quality (and, judging from the first issue, TIL is of
exceptional quality) can be prohibitive. The time required approaches
that of a full-time journalist who is paid a living wage. Should the
Internet be a mechanism for delivering a commercial product? The
question raises too many issues to be addressed here. We are of two
minds, and find the issues too complex for an easy answer. Perhaps
readers have thoughts on the issue they could share. Meanwhile, the
first issue of TIL is free, and it's well-worth a look.

------------------------------

End of Computer Underground Digest #5.66
************************************