Subject: Cu Digest, #5.70
From: Cu-Digest <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 23:54:43 CDT

Computer underground Digest    Wed  Sep 8 1993   Volume 5 : Issue 70
                           ISSN  1004-042X

       Editors: Jim Thomas and Gordon Meyer ([email-masked])
       Archivist: Brendan Kehoe
       Shadow-Archivists: Dan Carosone / Paul Southworth
                          Ralph Sims / Jyrki Kuoppala
                          Ian Dickinson
    Cookie Editor: Etaoin Shrdlu, III

CONTENTS, #5.70 (Sep 8 1993)
File 1--World Wide Web Newsletter Information
File 2--Big time hacker from the small town
File 3--Re: A Class Like None Other [revised]
File 4--Imaginary Government Reply to Jim Warren's Model Letter
File 5--'Zine Watch: CRYPT, GRAY AREAS and BOARDWATCH
File 6--Other BBSes Carrying CuD
File 7--Phrack now only available on the CuD shadow archives
File 8--EFF Position Opening--DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
File 9--Canadian Document Database
File 10--UK Privacy International Conference
File 11--CALIF E-ACCESS BILL (AB #1624) PASSES!!!

Cu-Digest is a weekly electronic journal/newsletter. Subscriptions are
available at no cost electronically from [email-masked]. The
editors may be contacted by voice (815-753-0303), fax (815-753-6302)
or U.S. mail at:  Jim Thomas, Department of Sociology, NIU, DeKalb, IL
60115.

Issues of CuD can also be found in the Usenet comp.society.cu-digest
news group; on CompuServe in DL0 and DL4 of the IBMBBS SIG, DL1 of
LAWSIG, and DL1 of TELECOM; on GEnie in the PF*NPC RT
libraries and in the VIRUS/SECURITY library; from America Online in
the PC Telecom forum under "computing newsletters;"
On Delphi in the General Discussion database of the Internet SIG;
on the PC-EXEC BBS at (414) 789-4210; and on: Rune Stone BBS (IIRG
WHQ) (203) 832-8441 NUP:Conspiracy; RIPCO BBS (312) 528-5020
CuD is also available via Fidonet File Request from 1:11/70; unlisted
nodes and points welcome.
EUROPE:   from the ComNet in LUXEMBOURG BBS (++352) 466893;
          In ITALY: Bits against the Empire BBS: +39-461-980493

ANONYMOUS FTP SITES:
  UNITED STATES:  ftp.eff.org (192.88.144.4) in /pub/cud
                  etext.archive.umich.edu (141.211.164.18)  in /pub/CuD/cud
                  halcyon.com( 202.135.191.2) in /pub/mirror/cud
                  aql.gatech.edu (128.61.10.53) in /pub/eff/cud
  AUSTRALIA:      ftp.ee.mu.oz.au (128.250.77.2) in /pub/text/CuD.
  EUROPE:         nic.funet.fi in pub/doc/cud. (Finland)
                  ftp.warwick.ac.uk in pub/cud (United Kingdom)

COMPUTER UNDERGROUND DIGEST is an open forum dedicated to sharing
information among computerists and to the presentation and debate of
diverse views.  CuD material may  be reprinted for non-profit as long
as the source is cited. Authors hold a presumptive copyright, and
they should be contacted for reprint permission.  It is assumed that
non-personal mail to the moderators may be reprinted unless otherwise
specified.  Readers are encouraged to submit reasoned articles
relating to computer culture and communication.  Articles are
preferred to short responses.  Please avoid quoting previous posts
unless absolutely necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views represented herein do not necessarily represent
            the views of the moderators. Digest contributors assume all
            responsibility for ensuring that articles submitted do not
            violate copyright protections.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1993 19:13:48 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: File 1--World Wide Web Newsletter Information

+++++++++++ ELECTRONIC PRESS RELEASE +++++++++++
SEPTEMBER 1 1993

The World Wide Web Newsletter brings you Desktop Global Networking

Now you can plug in to an endless world of people and information: the
fastest growing global event, with room and resources for everyone.
Al Gore dubbed it the "information superhighway"   now everyone from
the President of the United States to the grungiest cyberpunk is out
there, roaming the highways. The WORLD WIDE WEB NEWSLETTER is a unique
source of news, information, help, addresses and ideas from and about
the new global networks. If you want to know about the cyberspace
you need to read the World Wide Web Newsletter.

The WORLD WIDE WEB NEWSLETTER is proud to introduce Desktop Global
Networking (DGN) for all. Anyone who has an interest in communication;
anyone who is thinking about utilising the power of desktop global
networking; anyone who should know what is happening out there; anyone
interested in the range of resources and products that make up the
World Wide Web has to read The World Wide Web Newsletter.

The World Wide Web is a metanetwork of interconnected computers, known
variously as the Internet, the Matrix and Cyberspace. The World Wide
Web Newsletter is your navigation system to the greatest free resource
and communication system in the history of the world.

The WORLD WIDE WEB NEWSLETTER   is designed with the non-specialist in
mind - you don't need a degree in computer networking to read us. We
aim to bring you clear, informative, helpful, exciting insights into
the most useful communication and information system that you will
ever use.

This World Wide Web   the Internet, the Matrix, the Cyberspace   is a
huge interconnected system of networked computers. It is estimated
that fifteen million people a day use the system and that the system
is growing at ten percent a month.  The Web will change our lives. As
access to it becomes widespread, so knowledge of how it works, what is
in it, how to make use of it and what will happen next becomes of
prime importance to more and more of us.

The global network is so huge that newcomers and old hands alike find
it difficult to keep tabs on the needles in this haystack. The WORLD
WIDE WEB NEWSLETTER brings you the best of the global networks every
other month:  News; Features; UK access information; network
multimedia; a-z of the Internet; Frequently Asked Questions; common
problems, common solutions; Reviews - books, software, hardware,
services and systems; non-Internet systems and how they connect;  how
individuals use the global networks.
Resource and Listings sections will provide ready references to resources
on the Internet, from those you use everyday to the obscure depths that you
may never otherwise find.

The September/October issue of The WORLD WIDE WEB NEWSLETTER

+ UK Networking: how to; where to; who to and a full listing of UK Internet
access providers.
+ Powermail   The wonderful world of mailing lists: how to exploit the
power of e-mail.
+ Cello - Full featured Internet software for Windows reviewed by Neville
Wilford
+ Awesome Sites: Virtual Tourism   the John S. Makulowich Column
+ NetNews   latest news from the global networks
+ Off Internet   Hardware and software developments outside and around the
Internet
+ Internet a-z: Astronautics   How to become an astronaut and other
frequently asked questions
+ Plus information on software and hardware developments; resource lists;
publications; Internet Multimedia and much more.

If you don't read The WORLD WIDE WEB NEWSLETTER, you'll never know what you
are missing - or who's missing you.

The WORLD WIDE WEB NEWSLETTER
Editor: Ivan Pope

ISSN 1350 - 2263

Individual issues  3 +  1 p&p
 24 for 6 issues including postage in the UK and Europe.
 42 (US$60) elsewhere including airmail postage
Payable to Art Computers

CIS: 100135,1673
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT THE EDITOR IVAN POPE ON
+44 81 533 0818
or
[email-masked]
or
FAX ON THE ABOVE NUMBER

Published by: Art Computers, 13 Brett Rd, London E8 1JP UK
Ivan Pope
Editor
[email-masked]

The World Wide Web Newsletter               +44 (0)81 533 0818
13 Brett Rd                            Fax: +44 (0)81 533 0818
London  E8 1JP                              [email-masked]
UK
+++++++++++++
-
The World Wide Web Newsletter (WWWN). The WWWN is a monthly subscription
newsletter that covers the new global networks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1993 07:55:04 EST
From: Chip Seymour  <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 2--Big time hacker from the small town

This article appeared in "The Bolton Common" Vol. V, No.251 dated
Friday, August 27, 1993, after somehow being overlooked by the larger,
more prolific newspapers.

Let me set the scene. The town of Bolton (Massachusetts), population
4,000 (on a good day) strides Interstate 495 about 40 miles west of
Boston and 15 miles north of Worcester, and boasts one and one-half
traffic lights, two orchards, and three churches. Period.

The Common's 'Police News' column mentions that "At about 7:30
Saturday morning, August 14, police received a report of a peacock on
the loose at the intersection of Harvard Road and Main Street."

Mayberry, right?     NOT!

"POLICE NAB OBSCENE CALLER" by Bill Latimer (reprinted without asking)

"A Bolton police and New England Telephone Company investigation of
threatening and obscene telephone calls to a Bolton family may have
uncovered a computer hacker network capable of wreaking havoc on New
England's power distribution system. Regardless of any wider
implications, says Police Chief Warren Wilson, the investigation has
put an end to the calls that terrorized a local family since July 21
and put its members in fear for their lives. Police believe a
13-year-old Gardner (Massachusetts) boy is responsible for the calls.
The police department has evidence of the youth's calls, evidence that
the US Secret Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are
interested in examining, says Wilson.

"Bolton police have not charged the youth with any crime, Wilson said
at press time, because of the 'multi-jurisdictional aspects of the
case.' In addition to federal interest in the case, Acton and
Fitchburg (Mass.) police believe the youth terrorized victims in those
towns from his home using sophisticated computer equipment, says
Wilson. Bolton's reports are being forwarded to the Worcester County
district attorney's office.

"Wilson provided the Common with a broad outline of the investigation
and law enforcement agencies' suspicions. Bolton Officer Bill Blewett
began an investigation after a local family notified police on July 21
that they had received several obscene calls, some of which threatened
murder. With the help of New England Telephone, police installed a
phone trap on the victims' phone, which gave authorities the phone
numbers from which all calls to the victims originated. Several more
of the obscene, threatening calls -- sometimes with more than one
voice on the line -- were traced back to Mount Wachusett Community
College and Heywood Memorial Hospital, both in Gardner (Mass, about 20
miles west of Bolton). Because both have elaborate phone systems,
officials there could not say who might have made the calls.

Police then concentrated on the other phone numbers from which people
placed legitimate calls to the victims.

A Bolton number appeared frequently, often at about the same time as
the obscene calls, and Blewett went to that house to interview the
residents.  Information gathered there in an interview with a young
Bolton resident --Wilson refused to be more specific -- led police to
the home of the Gardner youth.

"With a search warrant from Gardner District Court in hand, officers
went through the Gardner home and seized a computer 'with more power
than anything we've got at the station,' says Wilson.

"'The computer contains much evidence of illegal activity,' says
Wilson, 'including voice data, which we have listened to, constituting
harassing and obscene telephone calls.' One custom program in the
computer is named 'Harass.'

"The Gardner boy was allegedly a member of a nationwide computer
hackers' network, whose members can access the phone systems at large
institutions, such as the college and hospital, and charge thousands
of dollars worth of phone calls to the institutions. The seized
computer contains records of thousands of phone calls, says Wilson,
many of them one-minute or less.  These are indicative of computer
hackers trying to gain access to other computer systems, Wilson says.

"The hackers' network may have had the capability 'to penetrate the
New England [electric] power structure,' Wilson says he learned when
the federal agencies became involved. 'The computer contents are being
held for analysis by the Secret Service at their request.' The Common
has learned from a source close to the case that the group may have
attempted to access the computer system at at least one nuclear power
plant in Massachusetts.

The victims, whom Wilson declined to identify, have expressed
'tremendous relief' that the caller has been identified. The dozens of
phone calls, some at 2 and 3 a.m., had shaken the family so badly that
they were about to hire special duty police officers to guard their
home at night. The 13-year-old suspect did not know his victims, says
Wilson. 'It was not a personal vendetta.'

"Wilson summed up the progress of the wider investigation: 'More to
come.'

And now, back to Mayberry.

"A domestic rabbit was found on Old Shirley Road on August 20. Anyone
missing a rabbit should call police ... "

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1993 18:28:32
From: [email-masked](Jonathan Bell)
Subject: File 3--Re: A Class Like None Other [revised]

((MODERATORS' NOTE: For parsimony, we reproduce here only the first
and last two paragraphs of Johnathan Bell's paper, which summarize
his central themes. His points are well-argued, and the copious
footnotes should be of value to scholars. The entire paper can be
obtained from the CuD ftp archives. We recommend it)).

 A CLASS LIKE NONE OTHER:  HOW THE TRADITIONAL MEDIA CLASSIFICATIONS
              FAIL TO PROTECT IN THE ELECTRONIC FRONTIER

                           by Jonathan Bell

August 4, 1993
Mass Communications Law and Ethics
Dwight Teeter - Summer 1993

Imagine the mass communications functions of publisher, distributor,
broadcaster, advertiser and utility rolled into one and you might find
that the beast before you is being operated out of your own home -- or
at least that of a friend or neighbor.  The computer bulletin board
(BBS) offers a variety of services to its users: shopping, electronic
mail, public discussion of hot topics, free software, free advice,
news. All that may sound idealistic but it is here. The only thing
endangering BBS' and their system operators' (sysops') ability to run
them is a legal system unclear and uneducated about the First
Amendment held dearly by those who keep them going, whether they are
the users or the operators.

Exactly where BBS' stand in the legal structure has not been
definitively decided by anyone. Getting sysops to agree has yet to be
accomplished, users see things differently and lawyers and government
often have views widely divergent from the thoughts of the other two.
The simple fact that the proper status of bulletin boards has yet to
be answered reasonably opens up the dire need for a new media
classification system. No one sees eye to eye, and assurances that the
right thing will always be done do not work.

                      *************************

It may seem shocking for users today to learn that more than ever they
are responsible for what they write and what they distribute. The
ability to have your voice heard is unprecedented but so is the
capability to harm. The media lessons of copyright, privacy and
defamation still are being taught on the networks today. They will
continue as more people log on to the networks at hand, spreading
their personage electronically.

Education can answer many of the problems facing the electronic world
today. But no puzzles are solvable until computer information systems
and bulletin boards are granted the highest degree of First Amendment
rights and freedom from liability necessary to keep the waves of
public exchange coming throughout the future.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Sep 93 03:04 PDT
From: [email-masked](John Higdon)
Subject: File 4--Imaginary Government Reply to Jim Warren's Model Letter

((MODERATORS' NOTE: While we often share John's cynicism, which he
expresses satirically below, it appears that Jim Warren's idealism and
belief in collective action were *not* misplaced.  A few minutes ago,
CuD learned that Jim Warren's (and others') efforts to pass the
California electronic access bill that would increase availability of
public documents to the public were rewarded. Warren's model letters
and other strategies were instrumental in today's final passage of the
legislation. See File #11, below)).

+++++++

Jim Warren presented a substantial argument in his "Model Letter" to
John Burton. But it is entirely based upon the premise that anyone in
the California state government gives two hoots or a holler about the
citizenry. Therefore I appoint myself official (tongue-in-cheek)
spokesperson for our state legislature and answer each of Mr. Warren's
arguments against the charging of fees for on-line access to state
documents. (My apologies for anything that seems true enough to be
mistaken for seriousness.)

Mr. Warren writes:

> I ask that you reconsider your demand for fees, for at least ten reasons:
>
> 1.  BAD PRECEDENT -- FREE FOR OLD-FASHIONED PAPER VS. FEES FOR MODERN ACCESS

Mr. Warren, you obviously think that any of us here in Sacramento give
a damn about how much anything in government costs. The money comes out
of your pocket, not ours. We collect it from you in taxes. We even will
track you down after you retire in another state to make sure we get
our pound of flesh. I hope that answers your concern regarding costs.

> 2.  CREATES TWO CLASSES OF PUBLIC ACCESS BASED ON WEALTH AND POSITION

Mr. Warren, where on earth have you been all of your life. Of course
people with money and position have the power. We have campaign
contributions to work off here. Actually, there are several issues at work.
Newspapers are our friends. They give us mindless, unquestioning access
to the public with our press hand-outs and print what we make
convenient. On the other hand, people who are too poor to pay fees for
on-line document access are probably radical trouble makers. We don't
need that kind of riff-raff examining what we do here in Sacramento.

> 3.  YOU WOULD EXCLUDE SCHOOLS, COLLEGES, STUDENTS, LIBRARIES, HOMELESS, ETC.

Naturally. Students have always been a pain in our rear. Thankfully, as
a group, their voting record stinks. The last thing we want to do is
incite these children into recklessly exercising their rights. And for
heaven's sake, why on earth would we want a bunch of homeless bums to
know what is going on in Sacrmento? And the beard and glasses types
that frequent libraries--well, need I say more?

> 4.  BUREAUCRACY AND FEES WOULD DETER MOST LOW-COST PUBLIC ACCESS

No shit Sherlock! Did someone lead you to think that we had some desire
to make our silly shenanigans public?

> 5.  IMPOSSIBLE TO ENFORCE; WOULD INCITE WIDESPREAD VIOLATION OF YOUR LAW

Did you ever consider that maybe money is not the issue here, but
rather denial of access? Give us some credit. But a nice bonus in
having fees built into the system is the fact that we know perfectly
well that people will ignore the law. This gives us carte blanche to
"round up all the usual suspects" should we decide that someone has
spoken the wrong thing at the wrong time. When we want to "put someone
away", it is most useful to have some trumped up charge. Not paying
fees is made to order.

> 6.  A TECHNICAL NIGHTMARE -- WHO PAYS?  HOW MUCH SURVEILLANCE OF USERS?

Mr. Warren, we KNOW that. In addition to the above, we are provided
with a great excuse to monitor and search and seize to our hearts'
content.

> 7.  SUPPORT -- DON'T SUPPRESS -- DEVELOPMENT OF HIGH-TECH SMALL BUSINESS

Don't get us wrong--we support high-tech. But only in big corporations.
These garage operations, "loose cannons" if you will, scare the bloody
crap out of us. The idea that ordinary people can, unsupervised and in
private, create, develop, and manipulate data seen and read by other
ordinary people--using high-tech means, no less--strikes at the very
core of our benevolent purpose. That purpose is to protect you and
other citizens from unnecessary contact with data and devices that you
need not know anything about. We, and our corporate contributors--er, I
mean the corporations who are under our thumb--oops, rather the high
tech industry will handle everything and take care of you.

> 8.  FREE LAND-FILL PAPER VS. FEES FOR RECYCLABLE ELECTRONS

Green stuff is only for serving our agenda. Do not try to use that
"green" nonsense on us. We invented the hype so we could raise your
taxes. We are pleased that it has been effective. But do not attempt to
con your government. We invented the practice.

> 9.  PRECEDENTS FOR ELECTRONIC SPEECH, ELECTRONIC ASSEMBLY, ELECTRONIC PRESS
>   I understand you plan to exclude subscription newspapers from your fee-for-
> fee mandate.

Mr. Warren, as I explained earlier, the mindless newspapers are our
friends. Your rabble-rousing "electronic publishers" say things we
don't like, and have a "readership" that we would just as soon not see the
material. Remember the key word "access". Access is something that all
of us in government would just as soon you and all the other bozo
constituents NOT have.

> 10.  YOUR PRECEDENT FOR THE PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO PETITION THEIR GOVERNMENT

Hey, if we had our druthers, we would turn that off in a minute. All we
have between us and you clowns is a mountain of paperwork and
procedures. Are you seriously asking us to strip that away? You think
we WANT to hear from you between elections? Get real, son.

(End of comments as tongue-in-cheek government spokesperson.)

While the above may be pulling at the corners just a little, it is my
personal opinion that there is contained more truth than fiction. There
are two things to always remember about government bureaucrats: cost is
never an issue; and none wants you to know what really goes on in
government. After all, you pay the bill and what you don't know won't
hurt you.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 17:41:21  CDT
From: CuD Moderators <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 5--'Zine Watch: CRYPT, GRAY AREAS and BOARDWATCH

CRYPT NEWS LETTER

The Crypt Newsletter is an electronic document which delivers deft
satire, savage criticism and media analyses on topics of interest to
the editor and the computing public.  The Crypt Newsletter also
reviews anti-virus and security software and republishes digested news
of note to users of such.  The Crypt Newsletter ALSO supplies analysis
and complete source code to many computer viruses made expressly for
the newsletter. Source codes and DEBUG scripts of these viruses can
corrupt - quickly and irreversibly - the data on an IBM-compatible
microcomputer - particularly when handled imperfectly. Ownership of
The Crypt Newsletter can damage your reputation, making you unpopular
in heavily institutionalized settings, rigid bureaucracy or
environments where unsophisticated, self-important computer user
groups cohabit.

Files included in the latest issue (#17):

CRPTLT.R17 - this electronic document
TEST.PAK - Aristotle's PAK "device" bomb demonstrator
TREKWAR.ASM - TREKWAR source code
YB-X.ASM - YB/Dick Manitoba virus source code and analysis
CLUST.ASM - TridenT Cluster virus, advanced stealth example, and analysis
VECTOR.ASM - Kohntark's interrupt vector lister utility, in source code
YB-X.SCR - scriptfile for YB
TREKWAR.SCR - scriptfile for TREKWAR
CLUST.SCR - scriptfile for CLUSTER
VECTOR.SCR - scriptfile for Kohntark's vector lister

To obtain a subscription or more information, contact Urnst
Kouch at:
[email-masked]

********************************************************************

GRAY AREAS

The Fall (Vol 2, #3), 1993,  issue of Gray Areas is out and looks even
better than before. This time there's a review of DEFCON I, an
interview with the head of the Recording Industry Association of
America's piracy unit (complete with photos of busts of record
counterfeiters), articles on drug laws in Amsterdam and the U.S., an
interview with a woman who performed phone sex, an interview with the
leader of the Church of the SubGenius, Ivan Stang, more on UFOs and
photos of a KKK rally.

  This issue of Gray Areas builds on previous themes of intellectual
property rights and copyright ownership. There are two pieces of
exclusive communication from the Grateful Dead's legal counsel as well
as two pieces of exclusive communication from people who sell
unauthorized, bootleg Grateful Dead video tapes and unauthorized,
counterfeit Grateful Dead T-shirts. Photos of other T-shirts which
show cartoon characters using drugs and which spoof the Jurassic Park
logo are also shown and discussed.

  Other criminals come forward too. There is correspondence printed
from someone who broke into drugstores to steal prescription drugs,
someone who sneaks into cemeteries at night and a software pirate
confesses why he does it.

  Gray Areas is doing a tremendous job uniting criminals and deviants
with those who enforce the law and who follow it to the letter. Gray
Areas prints all points of view and is careful to be fair to all
sides.

  The issue is available from: Gray Areas, Inc. P.O. Box 808,
Broomall, PA 19008-0808. It is $5.00 (ask for #4) or $18 for four
issues (you may start with #1 at no extra charge if you specify you
are a CuD reader). Please note that Gray Areas is a paper magazine
with no newsgroup or on-line mailing list. They welcome submissions
from the computer underground and may be reached on-line at:
[email-masked]

********************************************************************

BOARDWATCH MAGAZINE

Boardwatch specializes in BBS news and notes, and covers everything
from BBS law and policy to personalities and software.
We found three articles in the September issue of Boardwatch of
exceptional interest. First is the list of the "Readers' Choice" for
the top 100 BBSes in the US; second is an indepth article on the modem
price wars and tips on finding the best values for the buck; third is
a nifty story on genealogical research on-line.  As always, Lance
Rose's column, "Legally Online" is priceless.  This month, Lance
describes the power of online communication in union activities as a
Hollywood writer's union squabble concludes more-or-less amicably.
Subscriptions to Boardwatch are $36 a year and available at:
Boardwatch Magazine 8500 W. Bowles Ave, Suite 210 Littleton, CO 80123

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1993 15:31:05 CDT
From: CuD Moderators <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 6--Other BBSes Carrying CuD

Date--Sat, 17 Jul 93 09:24:00
[email-masked](Victor Volkman)

In regards to your recent issue (BBSes which carry CUD):

I run a BBS with dialup access from 1200 to 14400 baud which carries the
CU-DIGEST newsgroup.  I also have some back issues archived off in file
directories.  The BBS is free to the public and can be reached on
+1 313 663 4173 or 663 3959.  A total of six v.32bis phone linews are
available.

******************************************************************

Date--Mon, 19 Jul 93 19:49:18 EST
[email-masked](James R. Graham)

I just wanted to inform you that The Portal Dolmen BBS
at (812)334-0418 in Bloomington, Indiana is now carrying
Computer Underground Digest.

It is available for download from the file area "Computer Underground
Digest".

Thanks,
Jim Graham
Sysop

*******************************************************************

From--South of Hell BBS

  South of Hell has over 4000 ANSi art, 300 VGAs/Intros, and art
from virtually EVERY art group in the Underground art scene.  It
just added some H/P sections.  Its an affiliate of iCE, ACiD, and
CHAOS.  It is the Southern HeadQuarters of UNiSON, GwAr, MAJiCK,
and TDX.  We distribute for CuD, SWaT, SCi, DoM, and SPEED.   So
for ALL the latest grafix, call South of Hell, 305-360-0575.
Also a large Virtual Reality .GIF section.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 15:47:32 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Brendan Kehoe)
Subject: File 7--Phrack now only available on the CuD shadow archives

 PLEASE NOTE: Issues of Phrack Magazine are now ONLY available on the
mirror sites.  The main archive in /pub/cud on ftp.eff.org can no
longer house them.  In the past few months, the Phrack archives alone
have constituted a startling percentage of the bandwidth used by the
EFF's net connection.  This is definitely unacceptable, since they are
donating the space, system resources, and network connectivity to the
CuD archives.

 There are a number of shadow sites which have the issues of Phrack
available; please look to one of them.  To avoid future problems on
those sites, I urge people to retrieve the Index first, and then get
the issues that have the information you need.  One part of the
problem with Phrack's bandwidth is directly attributable to people who
would retrieve ALL of the issues at once---that is 3Mb of traffic to
you and me.  Please remember that your actions on the Net do have an
effect, however indirect they may appear to be.

 Anyway, the shadow sites are:

  UNITED STATES:  etext.archive.umich.edu (141.211.164.18)  in /pub/CuD/cud
                  halcyon.com( 202.135.191.2) in /pub/mirror/cud
                  aql.gatech.edu (128.61.10.53) in /pub/eff/cud
  AUSTRALIA:      ftp.ee.mu.oz.au (128.250.77.2) in /pub/text/CuD.
  EUROPE:         nic.funet.fi in pub/doc/cud. (Finland)
                  ftp.warwick.ac.uk in pub/cud (United Kingdom)

 I would personally like to thank the EFF for their continued support
and very patient handling of this matter.  Also, the folks who
maintain the shadows of the main archive continue to be invaluable in
the upkeep and widespread availability of the CuD archives.

Brendan Kehoe
CuD Archivist

((MODERATORS NOTE---We share Brendan's gratitude to EFF for providing
archive space. But, Brendan's efforts over the years, while invisible
and thankless, have been invaluable for those utilizing the files that
he as diligently maintained.  We've often wondered where he found the
time to write his useful guidebook: Zen and the Art of the Internet)).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, Sep 6 1993: 12:21:55 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: File 8--EFF Position Opening--DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS

Position Announcement

The Electronic Frontier Foundation

DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, based in Washington, DC, is a
public interest organization that brings together legal, technical,
and policy expertise to address the democratic potential and social
impact of new computer and communications technologies.  EFF has
rapidly expanded its influence in the national public policy arena,
helping to find common ground among the concerns of government,
industry, and the public interest.  EFF promotes the broad social and
economic benefits offered by new information and communication
technology while safeguarding principles of freedom, openness,
competitiveness, and the civil liberties of individual citizens.

EFF is seeking an experienced Director of Communications to articulate
and communicate EFF's messages to a range of audiences.  The Director
of Communications will work closely with the Membership Coordinator,
who will implement plans for membership development, and an Online
Activist, who will be responsible for getting EFF 's message out on
electronic networks.

We're looking for an experienced wordsmith and ideasmith who can write
and edit a range of policy, press and promotional materials, help
develop a communication and membership strategy, define audiences, and
develop themes that speak to those audiences through the electronic,
broadcast, and print media.  You must be an energetic, hands-on, team
member who loves to write on a range of topics with style, depth, and
political sensibility, and you should be comfortable with public
speaking.  Knowledge of public policy, technology issues, and
experience in a public interest setting preferred.

Applicants should be computer literate and have experience managing
multiple projects, deadlines, and collaborations.  Minimum B.S./B.A.
plus 5 years professional experience in a related field such as
journalism, politics, advertising, business communications, news or
public relations.  A sense of humor is required.  Excellent salary and
benefits, and lively, committed coworkers.

This position is in Washington, DC.  No phone calls, please.  To
apply, send resume, brief writing sample, cover letter and salary
requirements by September 27 to our recruiter:

Lisa Breit & Associates
54 Rich Valley Road
Wayland, MA  01778

You may apply by e-mail (ASCII only please).  Address to:
[email-masked]

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Sep 93 11:50:49 EDT
From: [email-masked](#Usenet News)
Subject: File 9--Canadian Document Database

The Department of Industry and Science, Government of Canada, is
pleased to announce the launch of an on-line document database.
This pilot project currently makes nine telecommunications-related
documents available in both official languages, English and French.

****  ftp access
All documents are available in ASCII format, uncompressed via
anonymous ftp from:
debra.dgbt.doc.ca  pub/doc/
for the most recent index of files retrieve "00readme"

***   Listserv access
These files are also available via Listerserv for people with e-
mail access only.  The address is
[email-masked]
To retrieve the most recent index of documents available send the
following command alone in the body of the message:
get isc 00readme
******
Titles available:
     A Guide for the radiotelephone operator
     1986,  English 56 p / French 58 p
     Decoding the Law on Decoding
     1991,  English 13 p / French 13 p
     Convergence, Competition and Cooperation
     1992, English 287 p / French 311 p
     Telecommunications in Canada: An overview of the Carriage
     Industry  1992,  Eng 36 p / French 38 p
     Telecommunications: New Legislation for Canada
     1992, Eng 25 p / French 28 p
     New Media New Choices
     1992,  English 43 p / French 47 p
     Telecommunications Privacy Principles
     1992,  English 8 p / French 8 p
     A Spectrum Policy Framework for Canada
     1992, English 29 p / French 30 p
     Digital Radio: the sound of the future
     1993,  Eng 29 p / French 31 p
  +----------------------------------------------------------
Industrie et Sciences Canada, du gouvernement du Canada, a le
plaisir d'introduire une base de donnees des documents.  Cette base
du dinnees du project pilote comprend prisentement neuf documents
relies aux telecommunications, dans les deux langues officielles du
Canada, francias et anglais
***  Aces par ftp
Tous les documents sont accessibles en format ASCII non comprime,
par "anonymous ftp" a:
debra.dgbt.doc.ca  pub/isc/
pour obtenir l'index le plus recent prendre le fichier "00lisez"
***  Aces par Listserv
Ces fichiers sont egalement accessibles par Listerserver aux
personnes munies de l'acces par courrier electronique seulement.
L'adresse est la suivante :
[email-masked]
Pour obtenir l'index le plus recent des documents disponibles
envoyez la commande suivante isolement dans le corps du message :
get isc 00LISEZ
****
Fichiers disponible
     Guide du radiotelephoniste
     1986, Anglais 56 p./francais 58 p.
     Comment decoder la legislation sur le decodage
     1991, Anglais 13 p./francais 13 p.
     Convergence, concurrence et cooperation
     1992, Anglais 287 p./francais 311 p.
     Les telecommunications au Canada : Survol de l'industrie de
     la distribution, 1992, Anglais 36 p./francais 38 p.
     Les telecommunications : nouvelle legislation canadienne
     1992, Anglais 25 p./francais 28 p.
     Nouveaux medias ... Nouveaux choix
     1992, Anglais 43 p./francais 47 p.
     Principes de protection de la vie privee dans les
     telecommunications
     1992, Anglais 8 p./francais 8 p.
     Cadre de la politique canadienne du spectre
     1992, Anglais 29 p./francais 30 p.
     La radio numerique : La voie du futur
     1993, Anglais 29 p./francais 31 p.

|    Casey Barton (a guy )    [email-masked]    (613)236-7792   |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1993 16:46:06 EST
From: Dave Banisar <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 10--UK Privacy International Conference

                 UK Privacy International Conference
                             ANNOUNCEMENT

                      ONE DAY PUBLIC CONFERENCE

                INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENTS IN PRIVACY
                         AND DATA PROTECTION

                 30th SEPTEMBER, 1993, MANCHESTER, UK

       A roundtable hosted jointly by Privacy International
        and the Law School of the University of Manchester

Topics include :

  Privacy concerns with Caller ID and digital phone services

  Privacy implications of Electronic Health Care Patient Record
   Systems and medical smart cards

  Cryptography, and communications surveillance

  Implications of the European Commission data protection directive

  The establishment of guidelines for handling police files in
   emerging democracies in Central and Eastern Europe

  Weaknesses in the UK Data Protection Act

8.30 AM - 2.00 PM, Thursday 30th September  1993 Room 2.22,  The Law
School,  University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester,  M13 9PL

For more information, please contact :

Simon Davies at Privacy International in London on (44) 81 402 0737 or
fax (44) 81 313 3726 (email : Davies @privint.demon.co.uk )

      or

Dave Banisar at Privacy International in Washington on (1) 202 544
9240, fax (1) 202 547 5482 (email : [email-masked] )

------------------------------

Date:   Wed, 8 Sep 1993 15:11:06 -0700
From: Jim Warren <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 11--CALIF E-ACCESS BILL (AB #1624) PASSES!!!

((MODERATORS' NOTE:  The following post from Jim Warren came in a few
minutes prior to sending out #5.70--it looks as if the inglamorous and
nitty-gritty perseverance of trench fighting paid off in passing a
signficant electronic access bill.  Although not dramatic, the bill
has significant implications for expanding cyberspace, and the
strategic model used in California should be applied elsewhere. Jim
Warren and all the others who participated in the effort should be
commended. SUPER JOB!!))

+++++

Today, AB1624 passed the Assembly 78-to-0 on the consent agenda, thus
concurring with the amendments that had been made in the Senate after
the Assembly passed it the first time.

Unless Gov. Pete Wilson vetos it within 12 days, it will become law,
taking effect Jan. 1, 1993.  Who knows, perhaps Benovelant Ol' Bion
Gregory, the Chief Legislative Counsel who's been peddling our data to
a few private distributors for years, might even make our legislative
data available to us mere citizens, before he's required by law to do
so.  Would be a nice show of good faith and efficiency.  (He's had a
1.544-megabit/sec, T-1 Internet connection since last May and has at
least one Internet host that "pinged" active, months ago.)

** FAX & CALL WILSON ASAP, PLEASE **

  In a one fax-page, tell why you want him to sign AB1624, give your
title and organizational affiliation(s), perhaps mention groups with
whom you are in touch that are interested in the bill, etc.
    GOV. PETE WILSON;  VOICE/916-445-2814;  FAX/916-445-4633
      GOVERNOR'S OFFICE, STATE CAPITOL, SACRAMENTO CA 95814

It probably wouldn't hurt to mention that you know
(a) his Deputy-Chief-of-Staff, Bill Hauck, is also Executive Vice
President of State Net, one of the two largest for-profit distributors
of this information, and
(b) Rick Brandsma - one of Wilson's appointees to the Fair Political
Practices Commission - is Senior Vice President of State Net, but
(c) State Net has clearly stated in at least two public meetings that
they do not oppose AB1624 [which I personally, happen to believe], and
(d) you hope Gov. Wilson doesn't veto AB1624 if for no other reason
that the *apearance* of conflict-of-interest this would create for
him, Hauck and Brandsma.  [I have also heard high praise for Brandsma
from several Sacramento insiders whom I respect and trust.]

WILSON'S GENERAL SERVICES DEPT SPENDS $300,000 FOR ELECTRONIC LEGIS INFO

In 1992, when Legislative Counsel received about $295,000 for sale
of our public records to State Net and Legi-Tech on magtape, Wilson'
State Dept. of General Services paid State Net and Legi-Tech about
$285,000 for electronic access to legislative info, including but not
limited to data covered by AB1624.  Cal.DGS could save at least some
of that expense by using AB1624 free access.

CITY/COUNTY/LOCAL AGENCIES PAY ANOTHER $600,000 FOR ELECTRONIC LEGIS
INFO

In 1992, State Net received about $300,000 from cities through a
master contract with the League of California Cities for providing
cities with electronic legislative data, plus another $300,000-or-so
from counties through a similar contract with the California State
Association of Counties (CSAC) - data that included and/or was based
on information that will be free in electronic form to everyone under
AB1624.

Other public agencies and districts - parks, sewers, water, district
attorneys, public defenders, etc. - undoubtedly paid still more to
access AB1624 data, especially including current codes (enacted
statutes).

SIGNIFICANT SAVINGS POSSIBLE FOR STATE & LOCAL AGENCIES - AND THEIR
TAX-PAYERS

Without cost to the tax-payer - since it uses current computers and
network connections - AB1624 can undoubtedly save state and local
agencies significant loot (if they choose to use its free Internet
access - ahhh, another issue and another fight :-).

LOOSE ENDS

As is usual with most bills, AB1624 was amended numerous times - the
last being in the Senate on Aug.30.  I don't know of an electronic
copy of its final form that is available for free across the Internet.
If I get one - or can grit my teeth long enough to rekey it from my
paper copy - I'll distribute it to this [rather huge] list.

In an earlier Update, I said the Gov had until Oct. 12th to veto the
bill.  Error:  That's only at the end of a two-year legislative
session.  This is the end of the first year; he has only 12 days to
kill the bill - and WE THUS HAVE FEWER DAYS IN WHICH TO EFFECTIVELY
URGE HIS SUPPORT.

TSK!  Several days ago, Legi-Tech reversed its publicly-expressed
position in which it didn't oppose AB1624, and filed a formal letter
opposing it.  This makes that McClatchey newspapers subsidiary the
only opponent of AB1624.  Sad.  Strange.  [If they e-send an
explanation, I'll echo it to this list.]

------------------------------

End of Computer Underground Digest #5.70
************************************