Subject: Cu Digest, #5.73 --MOBY CRYPTO Under Attack by Feds
From: Cu-Digest <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1993 23:29:28 CDT

Computer underground Digest    Sun  Sep 19 1993   Volume 5 : Issue 73
                           ISSN  1004-042X

       Editors: Jim Thomas and Gordon Meyer ([email-masked])
       Archivist: Brendan Kehoe
       Shadow-Archivists: Dan Carosone / Paul Southworth
                          Ralph Sims / Jyrki Kuoppala
                          Ian Dickinson
    Cookie Editor: Etaoin Shrdlu, III

CONTENTS, #5.73 (Sep 19 1993)
File 1--U.S. Gov't Begins Attack on Moby Crypto
File 2--Phil Zimmermann's Comments on the Moby Crypto Incident
File 3--Crypto Witchhunt?
File 4--PRESS RELEASE--Clinton Appoints Sci/Tech Czars (satire)
File 5--Libertarian Responsibility of The Cyberpunk Movement (Reprint)
File 6--CuNews
File 7--Summary of Boys in front of Computers (Thesis)
File 8--UPDATE #30-AB1624: Gov Has Until Oct.10th
File 9--NETSYS.COM - Public Access availability

Cu-Digest is a weekly electronic journal/newsletter. Subscriptions are
available at no cost electronically from [email-masked]. The
editors may be contacted by voice (815-753-0303), fax (815-753-6302)
or U.S. mail at:  Jim Thomas, Department of Sociology, NIU, DeKalb, IL
60115.

Issues of CuD can also be found in the Usenet comp.society.cu-digest
news group; on CompuServe in DL0 and DL4 of the IBMBBS SIG, DL1 of
LAWSIG, and DL1 of TELECOM; on GEnie in the PF*NPC RT
libraries and in the VIRUS/SECURITY library; from America Online in
the PC Telecom forum under "computing newsletters;"
On Delphi in the General Discussion database of the Internet SIG;
on the PC-EXEC BBS at (414) 789-4210; and on: Rune Stone BBS (IIRG
WHQ) (203) 832-8441 NUP:Conspiracy; RIPCO BBS (312) 528-5020
CuD is also available via Fidonet File Request from 1:11/70; unlisted
nodes and points welcome.
EUROPE:   from the ComNet in LUXEMBOURG BBS (++352) 466893;
          In ITALY: Bits against the Empire BBS: +39-461-980493

ANONYMOUS FTP SITES:
  UNITED STATES:
                  halcyon.com( 202.135.191.2) in /pub/mirror/cud
                  aql.gatech.edu (128.61.10.53) in /pub/eff/cud
                  ftp.eff.org (192.88.144.4) in /pub/cud
                  etext.archive.umich.edu (141.211.164.18)  in /pub/CuD/cud
  AUSTRALIA:      ftp.ee.mu.oz.au (128.250.77.2) in /pub/text/CuD.
  EUROPE:         nic.funet.fi in pub/doc/cud. (Finland)
                  ftp.warwick.ac.uk in pub/cud (United Kingdom)

COMPUTER UNDERGROUND DIGEST is an open forum dedicated to sharing
information among computerists and to the presentation and debate of
diverse views.  CuD material may  be reprinted for non-profit as long
as the source is cited. Authors hold a presumptive copyright, and
they should be contacted for reprint permission.  It is assumed that
non-personal mail to the moderators may be reprinted unless otherwise
specified.  Readers are encouraged to submit reasoned articles
relating to computer culture and communication.  Articles are
preferred to short responses.  Please avoid quoting previous posts
unless absolutely necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views represented herein do not necessarily represent
            the views of the moderators. Digest contributors assume all
            responsibility for ensuring that articles submitted do not
            violate copyright protections.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1993 21:15:22 CDT
From: CuD Moderators <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 1--U.S. Gov't Begins Attack on Moby Crypto

((MODERATORS' NOTE: The following posts on the U.S. Customs Service
subpoena directed against Grady Ward and others came from a variety of
sources. We pulled together the three that seemed to best summarize
events of the past few days.  In editing them, we can't reconstruct
where they all came from, but most appeared on Usenet in the past few
days. The following was distributed on Usenet by Grady Ward)).

++++++++++

Subpoena served on Austin Code Works for
material related to Moby Crypto.

At 10:30 PM EDT  Thursday, 16 Sept 1993 Theodore R. Siggins, special
agent for the Department of Treasury, U.S. Customs Service office of
enforcement for Austin, TX (512) 482-5502 served the following
subpoena:

United States District Court
Northern District of California

TO:

Custodian of Records
Austin Code Works
11100 Leafwood Lane
Austin, TX
(512) 258-0785

SUBPOENA TO TESTIFY BEFORE GRAND JURY
documents of object(s)

PLACE

U.S. Courthouse & Federal Building
280 South First Street
San Jose, CA  95113

Grand Jury Room 2115
September 22, 1993  9:00 AM

YOU ARE ALSO COMMANDED to bring with you

Any and all correspondence, contracts, payments, and record,
including those stored as computer data, relating to the
international distribution of the commercial product "Moby
Crypto" and any other commercial product related to PGP and RSA
Source Code for the time period June 1, 1991 to the present.

CLERK

RICHARD W. WIERKING
by deputy  clerk (illegible)

This subpoena is issued on application of the United States of America
Michael J. Yamaguchi
United States Attorney

Assistant U.S. Attorney
William P. Keane
280 S. First St., Suite 371
San Jose, CA  95113
(408) 291-7221
s/a Robin Sterzer, Customs
93-1348(SJ) 93-1(SJ)

9 September 1993

served by

Theodore R. Siggins
special agent
Department of Treasury
U.S. Customs Service
Office of Enforcement
P.O. Box 99
Austin, TX 78767

(FTS) 770-5502
(512) 482-5502

+-------------------------- BACKGROUND ----------------------------

The day before yesterday I faxed the following to the NSA:

Grady Ward
3449 Martha Ct.
Arcata, CA  95521
(707) 826-7715
[email-masked]

Charlotte Knepper
National Security Agency
301 688 7834
FAX 301 688 8183

Sep 93

Re:  Moby Crypto and the Austin Code Works

Recently you phoned Maria Guthery at the Austin Code Works
(512-258-0785) to voice your concern about the publication for export
of my product 'Moby Crypto'.

As the editor and author of the compilation I made sure not to include
any executable code -- only the algorithmic description in C source
code that can be found (and exported) from scores of books and
journals from the US distributed throughout the world.

I believe that this material qualifies for the 'public domain'
technical documentation exception under the current DTR rules.  It
seems to me that proscribing the publication of material because it is
conveyed on a magnetic media rather than paper pulp is an NSA
initiative that is both destructive to our basic freedom of expression
and to the trade renaissance that Vice President Al Gore and the
Clinton Administration are trying to foster.

Even the Supreme Court recognizes the role of the computer media in
protecting our freedom; beginning this 1993 calendar year all
decisions will be provided in electronic form. Further, as you may
know, it was recently decided that White House records in electronic
form must be protected as a permanent archive of our government.
Clearly, magnetic media must be treated as a logical extension of the
power and fundamental right of the print media.

Please phone, fax, e-mail or post your ideas or any literature to me
that you think useful if I have misapprehended the situation.

Of course if you wish I will send you a gratis copy of the software
(about nine megabytes of sources for DES, RSA, IDEA, Lucifer, PGP,
SHA, and so on) for your advice and comments.

Very truly yours,

GRADY WARD

+-------------------- WHAT YOU SHOULD DO ---------------------

NSA and the US Treasury has started a new, aggressive campaign to
prevent the spread of cryptographic ideas, algorithms, sources, and
documentation.  The subpoena was served on the ACW in the night
because they MIGHT have sold a copy of source code, already available
worldwide, to a foreign national.

If you value the freedom to disseminate ideas on both paper and
magnetic and electronic media, you should immediately preserve your
right to have such knowledge by obtaining a copy of the source to
Pretty Good Privacy and all other cryptographic materials before a
possible complete blackout of such material is attempted by the US
authorities.

It is not yet against the law to possess source code to PGP, the
world's foremost encryption application in the United States.  Source
is available for a variety of platforms including MS-DOS, Unix, and
Macintosh from the following sites:

soda.berkeley.edu
ghost.dsi.unimi.it
nic.funet.fi
ota.ox.ac.uk
van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

and many other sites

For more information about PGP,
send a blank mail message to:
[email-masked]

 --
Grady Ward                                         [email-masked]
3449 Martha Ct.                           compiler of Moby lexicons
Arcata, CA  95521-4884            e-mail or finger [email-masked]
(707) 826-7715  (voice/24hr FAX)               for more information

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1993 22:29:54 CDT
From: CuD Moderators <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 2--Phil Zimmermann's Comments on the Moby Crypto Incident

On Tuesday, 14 September 93, Leonard Mikus, president of ViaCrypt,
also known as LEMCOM Systems, in Phoenix, Arizona, was served a
Subpoena to Testify Before Grand Jury, to produce documents.  The
subpoena was issued by the US District Court of Northern California,
by Assistant US Attorney William P. Keane in San Jose, as part of an
investigation from the San Jose office of US Customs, conducted by
Special Agent Robin Sterzer.  The US Attorney above Keane is Michael
J. Yamaguchi.

ViaCrypt is the company that will be selling a fully licensed
commercial version of PGP, starting in November.  ViaCrypt has a
license from PKP to sell products that embody the patents held by PKP.
That includes PGP, using the RSA algorithm.

The subpoena, dated 9 September, orders the production of "Any and all
correspondence, contracts, payments, and records, including those
stored as computer data, involving international distribution related
to ViaCrypt, PGP, Philip Zimmermann, and anyone or any entity acting
on behalf of Philip Zimmermann for the time period June 1, 1991 to the
present."  The date specified for the production of documents is 22
September 93.

The written agreement between ViaCrypt and myself explicitly states
that US State Department cryptographic export controls will be adhered
to.

The implications of this turn of events are that this US Customs
investigation has escalated to the level of a Federal Grand Jury and a
US Attorney.  US Customs says that this change was precipitated by a
ruling recently handed down from the State Department that PGP is not
exportable.  Other subpoenas and/or search warrants are expected.

I am the principal target of the investigation.  I have advised EFF,
CPSR, and my other attorneys of the situation.  A legal defense fund
will be set up by my lead attorney (Phil Dubois, 303 444-3885) here in
Boulder.

This case raises some serious public policy questions regarding First
Amendment rights to publish, rights to privacy as affected by
widespread availability of cryptographic technology, the equivalence
of electronic publication with paper publication, the availability of
lawful domestic cryptographic technology in the face of export
controls, and certain other Constitutional rights.  This may turn into
the test case for these issues.

   Philip Zimmermann

------------------------------

Date:  Fri, 17 Sep 1993 11:21:17 -0700
From:  [email-masked] (Shari Steele)
Subject: File 3--Crypto Witchhunt?

To the 'net community:

EFF is very concerned about the Customs Department-initiated grand
jury investigation into encryption export violations.  Two U.S.
companies have been subpoenaed to produce documents related to the
"international distribution" of commercial products utilizing PGP and
RSA source code.  Neither of these companies are engaged in the
international distribution of any illegal materials.  EFF is working
with the concerned parties and is trying to find out the scope of the
grand jury investigation.  Unfortunately for us in this case, grand
jury investigations are secret, so learning the scope is proving to be
quite difficult.

What we do know is this:

Austin Code Works, a software publisher in Austin, Texas (heavy sigh),
has been planning to publish a code document written by Grady Ward
called Moby Crypto.  Grady describes Moby Crypto as simply containing
descriptive source code, not executable object code, describing many
cryptographic routines that are freely available around the world.
Most of this material has been released in print form already.  The
important distinction seems to be that Moby Crypto will be released in
machine-readable format.  Austin Code Works has told Customs Agents
that it does not intend to release Moby Crypto outside of the U.S.,
yet the company has been subpoenaed to release all documents related
to this product.  (Incidently, if Moby Crypto contains no executable
code, it should be exportable under ITAR, just as textbooks containing
such materials are exportable.)

ViaCrypt, a Phoenix, Arizona,-based (heavy sigh again -- man, does
this ring familiar) software producer that has a license to sell
software products that use the RSA algorithm, was issued a similar
subpoena.  ViaCrypt has recently contracted with Phil Zimmermann,
creator of the PGP encryption code, to sell a commercial version of
PGP.  ViaCrypt only distributes its products containing the RSA
algorithm within the United States, since RSA is not exportable under
ITAR.

EFF has been in touch with Phil Zimmermann and his attorney, Grady
Ward, and the owner of Austin Code Works.  We have advised everyone
that there is nothing to hide and that they should abide by the
subpoenas and produce the documents requested.  We will not know what
the appropriate response should be until the grand jury makes its
determinations.  In the meantime, we want everyone to know that EFF is
committed to ensuring that the right to use and publish whatever
encryption method an individual chooses to use is protected.  Jerry
Berman, EFF's Executive Director, issued the following internal
message this morning:

>I've assured Phil that he is not alone, and I have talked with his attorney.
>If Phil is charged with export control violations based on making PGP
>available in the US on a non-commercial basis and it happens to get
>published or copied overseas, First Amendment issues indeed may be joined.
>As of now, ViaCrypt has done no "exporting" and does not intend to. I have
>the subpoena.

Indeed, EFF has copies of both subpoenas.  We will continue to keep
you informed of what's going on as we learn the facts.  EFF is deeply
concerned, and we want Phil and everyone else involved to know that
they are not alone.  As soon as it becomes clear what specifically is
being investigated, EFF will respond.
Shari
******************************************************************************

Shari Steele
Director of Legal Services
Electronic Frontier Foundation
1001 G Street, NW
Suite 950 East
Washington, DC  20001
202/347-5400 (voice), 202/393-5509 (fax)
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: 09 Sep 93 21:28:41 EDT
From: Urnst Kouch <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 4--PRESS RELEASE--Clinton Appoints Sci/Tech Czars (satire)

(MODERATORS' NOTE: Urnst Kouch is editor of the Crypt Newsletter, an
E-'Zine specializing in techno-political commentary, computer virus
information, and occasional satire)).

+++

>>The press release from Hell:

President Bill Clinton announced in late August that he would move
quickly to set up a new department, to be headed by newly appointed
science and technology czars Steven Spielberg and Michael Crichton.

"In this new age of information overload," said Clinton in a radio
address, "the United States can no longer entrust its technological
edge to scientists and engineers, alone.  For this reason, I am
appointing Steven Spielberg and Michael Crichton as heads of a
superagency empowered to do whatever it takes to keep the United
States an inter-national leader in semi-conductors, biotechnology,
multimedia, publishing, the war on drugs, cold fusion, smart nuclear
weapons, spy satellites, the war on AIDS, dinosaur revivification,
protein sequencing, information superhighway development, virtual
reality gaming and pornographic cybersystems, and all sundry
grandiloquent, meaningless entertainments."

The superagency, to be called the Department Of Ground-breaking
Science, High-technology & Intellectual Twaddle (DOGSHIT) will
revolutionize the scientific process, replacing the obsolete and
stupid approval of new ideas by careful peer review, with a leaner and
meaner more cost effective approach, claim Clinton administration
officials.

According to Crichton's information minister, Michael Eisner, the
author and Speilberg would meet for weekly barnstorming sessions in
which they would comb through current abstracts in SCIENCE and NATURE
as well as breaking developments in OMNI, POPULAR SCIENCE, SPIN,
COMPUTER SHOPPER and INFOWORLD.

"Michael and Steven will sift the wheat from the chaff every week,"
said Eisner.  "Active researchers are also invited to send electronic
press releases describing their current work to DOGSHIT's Internet
addresses.  These contributions will also be included in the gleaning
process."  DOGSHIT's Internet portals, said Eisner, are:
[email-masked]; and [email-masked].

Ideas, information and data deemed worthy of continued serious study
will be prepared by Crichton into "action memos." "Action memos" can
go any of four ways: into book projects, teleplays, merchandising or
to Speilberg's nationalized conglomerate, AMBLIN/Industrial Light and
Magic for immediate world wide implementation.

"In this manner," said Eisner, "the latest in scientific development
can be fielded with maximum benefit to the American citizen without
compromising the integrity of the scientific method.  For too long,
American minds have been the laughingstock of the industrialized
nations; archetyped as scrawny and weak pencil-necked geeks incapable
of punching their way out of virtual wet paper bags. Now, from birth
until death, every American citizen's life will become part of a
continuing educational process.  Walk into any mall and cardboard
standees bearing government approved DOGSHIT books will educate the
learning citizen, no matter his or her age, race or color.  Television
advertisements and shows will convey all manner of DOGSHIT
technological developments, 24 hours a day.  Newspapers will carry as
much DOGSHIT science and technology as willing, and will receive
government subsidies approved by the agency, for doing so. It will be
_the_ paradigm for intellectual excellence in the 21st century and in
its multi-media/multi-pronged strength-through-joy approach, Americans
will use it to conquer the stars and make this a land where, truly,
the sun never sets."

According to President Clinton, Crichton and Spielberg were chosen for
their continuing advancement in all areas of key technologies;
Crichton for know-how in technology transfer issues, molecular
genetics, epidemiology, cybernetic behavior modification and making
difficult scientific concepts understandable to cabbage; Spielberg for
his work in supercomputers, optics, IR/visible spectroscopy, high
energy physics, SETI and time travel.

Crichton and Spielberg were unavailable for comment but a Japanese
man-in-the-street from the home island of Honshu, when informed of the
US's new plan for technological dominance, screamed and said before
collapsing, "We're fucked!"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1993 18:32:22 EDT
From: Cu Digest Moderators <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 5--Libertarian Responsibility of The Cyberpunk Movement (Reprint)

((MODERATORS' NOTE: The following is reprinted from the IIRG's
Newsletter _Phantasy_, #18. IIRG's homebase is the Runestone BBS
and can be contacted at [email-masked]))

++++++

       The Libertarian Responsibility of The Cyberpunk Movement
                     By Thomas Icom/Cybertek/IIRG

    With the moves that various government powers have been taking to
institute a totalitarian form of government in this country, it has
now become the responsibility of the Cyberpunk movement to take such
measures as to prevent these actions from occurring and reverse what
damage has already occurred.  When one takes into account the various
factors involved in reclaiming a democratic state from totalitarian
rule, it will be found that the Cyberpunk movement is the best
equipped to handle the task.  The movement has the necessary political
attitudes, equipment, and knowledge to prevent further government
progress into totalitarian rule and reverse the steps that have
already been taken by various government entities towards that
direction.  The Cyberpunk movement also has a personal stake in the
prevention of totalitarian rule; which has an equal footing with
altruism.  It is for these reasons that the movement should be at the
forefront of "The Second American Revolution", and contribute their
knowledge and attitudes to its success, and the restoration of a
libertarian form of government to the United States of America.

    The Cyberpunk movement has always had the libertarian attitude of
"The government which governs best, governs least.", and "Technology
belongs in the hands of the people".  These attitudes follow in the
footsteps of the country's founding fathers.  The lack of such an
attitude by those in power has been a major factor in the totalitarian
slides this country has been experiencing.  The Cyberpunk movement has
also stayed away from the forefront of politics; preferring to stay in
the background, let others "run" things, and act as "watchers";
keeping vigilant for lapses in judgement by the ruling powers.  This
attitude is precisely what is needed for those who will be at the
forefront of The Second American Revolution, for once the initial job
is done, "disinterested" parties will be needed to ensure the mistakes
of the past are not repeated.  The existence of well-equipped
Cyberpunk "Watchers" will act as a future deterrent to those wishing
to revert back to totalitarian ways.

    The Cyberpunk movement has always given a high priority to
acquiring knowledge in many different technological and other fields.
They have also been adamant about implementing the mass-distribution
of such information.  These two factors alone are qualifiers for any
group conducting low intensity conflict towards the institution of a
libertarian form of government.  In addition, the Cyberpunk movement
stresses practical "hands-on" applications of the knowledge they
collect and disseminate.  This is another factor that makes the
movement well suited for the task at hand.

    Since the Cyberpunk movement has the proper attitudes and
knowledge available to it, they are well suited for the task of
ensuring the United States regains and maintains a libertarian form of
government.  Just as the founding fathers had a responsibility to
create the United States, the freest country in the world; it is now
the responsibility of the Cyberpunk movement to restore the freedom
that this once great country lost, and to take on the responsibility
towards the operational aspects of The Second American Revolution and
the re-establishment of a libertarian form of government in this
country.  There is, however, an even more important and pressing
reason as to why the movement should act.

    Throughout history, even in benign and democratic governments,
there has been prejudice towards individuals and groups who have the
capability of self-sufficiency.  Such groups have been persecuted
severely, with their members often facing death.  This has occurred
even if such groups have had no political leanings whatsoever.  They
were simply viewed as a threat to the powers that be, and dealt with.
By taking a look around, any astute observer will be able to see this
beginning to happen with the Cyberpunk movement.  In this instance, we
have the greatest responsibility of all, the responsibility to
ourselves to ensure our survival.

    One must remember that our responsibility to the revolution does
not imply we should organize any more than we already have.  In fact,
our activities should be kept to small groups, and be as disorganized
overall as possible, as to better stay hidden and difficult to track
down.  Twenty small groups operating on their own will be harder to
track down than one large group. If everyone just simply does there
part, there will be no problem winning this one.  Our shadowy
existence and characteristic of being "everywhere and nowhere" will
also act as a deterrent to keep the future government leaders from
acting as stupid as the ones we presently have in existence.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 93 04:28:00 BST
Subject: File 6--CuNews

Auto Rentals and Poor Drivers
=============================
More and more automobile rental companies are embracing "DriverCheck", a
database marketed by TML Information Services, Inc of Forest Hills, NY.
DriverCheck allows companies such as Hertz, National, Thrifty, Dollar,
and Enterprise (Alamo is currently testing the system) to check state
drivers licence data before renting a car to a potential customer. If
a driver has too many tickets, they may be stranded without being able
to rent a car. The system is similar to the one used by insurance companies
when issuing automobile policies.
(Information Week. Sept 13, 1993 pg15)

Health Care Fraud Database
==========================
US Representatives Stark (D-California), Schumer (D-NY), and Senator
Cohen (R-Maine) have drafted legislation to create a national database
of people guilty of health care fraud.
(ComputerWorld Sept. 13, 1993 pg14)

Cyberspace is a Goldmine for Ethnographers
==========================================
Robert Wright, in an article in the Sept 13th (pg 20) issue of The New
Republic, suggests that the Internet is a boon for anthropologists. It
presents a fascinating opportunity for observation and study of groups and
behavior.  [As the CuD moderators have been saying since 1986.]
(Information Week. Sept 13, 1993. pg54)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 93 9:36:49 MET DST
From: Jorgen Nissen <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 7--Summary of Boys in front of Computers (Thesis)

((MODERATORS' NOTE: The following thesis abstract describes Jorgen
Nissen's project. A longer version can be found in the CuD ftp
archives in /pub/cud/papers))

                               Abstract

                      Boys in front of Computers
        Young Enthusiasts in the World of Computer Technology

Link|ping Studies in Arts and Science  No. 89
Pojkarna vid datorn
Unga entusiaster i datateknikens v{rld
J|rgen Nissen

The aim of this study is to describe and to search for an
understanding of Swedish computer captivated youth. This group is
generally known as hackers, often connoting queer loners and/or
persons indulging in illegal activities.  This picture is shown not to
be a good representation of the Swedish counterpart. Several methods
have been employed; participatory observation, interviews,
questionnaires, analyses of the content of computer-mediated
communication and of computer magazines.

In the first part of the thesis theoretical concepts are discussed
such as developmental task, culture (sub-, counterculture) and
modernity. The concept microworld is launched as a research tool. The
microworld includes the activities generated around the computer as
well as the actors.

In the second part the content of the microworld is analysed. Almost
without exceptions, the inhabitants are boys and men. One chapter
addresses the history of computer interest, and three themes are
elaborated; a tendency towards political alternativism, illegal
activities and the existence of a hacker-ethic. Formal associations
and informal groups are described. The content of a so called BBS, a
computerized notice-board, was found to be ordinary. The magazines
nourish dreams about making a fortune as a professional computer game
programmer.

The third part focuses on the inhabitants of the microworld. Three
different groups are identified and presented through comprehensible
portraits. The groups can be distinguished by means of several
criteria of which two are decisive: Does the boy earn money regularly
or not on his skill? Is he or is he not well integrated into the
microworld? A questionnaire survey shows that the group of severely
computer captivated boys in Sweden is quite small.

In the final part the microworld is discussed as being partly a
counterculture.  The computer skills provide ways for the boys to
enter into adult life. The microworld also encompasses an informal
educational system. Important driving forces behind the boys intense
interest in computers is gaining social benefits and a sense of
belonging to a wider social context.

Index terms: computer-mediated communication, computer interest,
counterculture, crackers, developmental task, hackers, microworld,
modernity, subculture, Sweden, youth.

ISBN 91-7139-128-2      ISSN 0282-9800

Institute of Tema Research  Department of Technology and Social Change
Link|ping University, S-581 83 Link|ping, Sweden
Link|ping 1993

------------------------------

Date:   Fri, 17 Sep 1993 21:00:53 -0700
From: Jim Warren <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 8--UPDATE #30-AB1624: Gov Has Until Oct.10th

Sep. 17, 1993

GOV. WILSON'S PRESS OFFICE:  NO WORD ON AB1624 AS OF SEP.17th P.M.

 I called the Gov's pressoids this afternoon.  They said the bill
probably wasn't even in the Governor's offices yet, and estimated that
his action on it - if any - might not come for several weeks.

GRRR! CORRECT STAFF CORRECTED THE CORRECTION OF THE CORRECT DEADLINE

 First I was told that Gov. Wilson had until Oct. 10th to sign, veto
or ignore AB1624 (ignoring it equals signing it; California has a
"pocket signature" as opposed to a "pocket veto").  I tol' ya so.

Then legislative staff researched it more and - the day after the bill
passed the told me that Wilson only had 12 days from that event, since
it was the first year of a two-year legislative session.  I tol' ya
so.

Now, they have researched it further - sez they:

 If the bill had passed the legislative more than 12 days before the
end of the legislative session (Sep. 10), then the Gov would only have
had twelve days.

 However, AB1624 passed on Sep. 8th, only two days before the session
ended.  Therefore -- yes! -- the Governor *does* have until Oct. 10th
to diddle de bill.

 See?  I tol' ya so.

IF YOU HAVEN'T YET CALLED OR WRITTEN SUPPORTING AB1624, PLEASE DO -
SOON!

 Covert opposition to AB1624 can prompt Wilson to veto the bill unless
he knows that, "The whole world is watching."  Well, more or less.
:-)
 Gov. Pete Wilson, State Capitol, Sacramento CA 95814

   voice/916-445-2841;  fax/916-445-4633

BOWEN'S LEGISLATIVE AIDE:  AB1624 GOT ITS SUPPORT FROM ONLINE ACTION

 Mary Winkley, the [underpaid!] workaholic aide to AB1624-author Debra
Bowen, has reiterated that our online-organized efforts and saturation
actions just before crucial votes were what kept the bill alive and
pushed it through the legislature.  NEAT!

 I am hoping to get contact-info for the 70+ organizations now
supporting the bill.  I am *nost* interested in researching what
impacts net-action had on this legislative effort.

 And - of course! - I'll write up the findings for all to see.

OVER 70 ORGANIZATIONS AND 1,200 INDIVIDUALS NOW FORMALLY SUPPORT
AB1624

  Winkley reported that there are now 74 organizations who have filed
formal notices with Bowen's office supporting AB1624.  Just a sample:
  Academic Senate of the California State University System
  American Association of Law Libraries
  American Association of University Women
  American Foundation for the Blind
  California Common Cause
  California Congress of Parents, Teachers and Students
  California Council of the Blind
  California Environmental Associates
  California Newspaper Publishers Association
  California Public Interest Research Group (CalPIRG)
  California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation\
  Council of California County Law Libraries [county-funded]
  Friends of the River
  The Fund for Animals
  HIV/AIDS Information Bulletin Board System
  Housing California
  Independent Owner/Operators Bookkeeping Association
  League of Women Voters of California
  Los Angeles Women's Legislative Coalition
  Northern California Association of Law Libraries
  Palo Alto Working Group on Civil Liberties
  Serenity Guest House
  Sierra Club
  Solano County Taxpayers' Association
  South Bay Association of Chambers of Commerce
  Tiburon Fire Protection District
  University of California
  University of Southern California
  Western Center on Law and Poverty
  Westside Center for Independent Living
  World Institute on Disabilities
and the cities of Berkeley, Los Altos and Sonoma,
and counties of Del Norte, Glenn and Santa Cruz,
plus the Computer Software Industry Association, Computer Professionals
for Social Responsibility - Berkeley Chapter, Electronic Frontier
Foundation, Government Technology Magazine,
and of course Apple, Autodesk, Internex, People's Computer Company,
Snyder Research, Sunnyside Computing, SunWorld Magazine, Wired Magazine,
etc.

  [I was told there was also a significant statewide push by the
Perotoids that generated a flood of several hundred cards and letters
supporting the bill - that show up in a list of 1200+ individual
supporters.]

And - yes! - Gov. Wilson *can* ignore these supporters and veto
AB1624, unless he and his staff are made aware that all of us really
*are* interested - and watching for his decision.  Something like that
happened last year with an effort to reform the state's open-meetings
law.

*SOMEDAY* I *WILL* CATCH UP ON WEEKS OF BACKED-UP EMAIL
  Honest.  I will.  I will.  [I need a "smiley" representing "Blush!"]

------------------------------

Date: 	Sat, 18 Sep 1993 21:00:38 -0700
From: Earle Ady <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 9--NETSYS.COM - Public Access availability

((MODERATORS' NOTE: One of the FAQs we receive is: "I don't have
Internet access. Can you tell me how I can get it?"

If you cannot obtain access through your employer or local
school/university, then the best way is to obtain an account on a
public access system. While systems such as Compuserv, GEnie, or
Prodigy are among the most popular, they do not provide the same
services as systems such as The Well, Mindvox, Netcom, and others. We
try to identify new entries that have promise. Some users find
multiple subscriptions helpful. While this may seem expensive, systems
have different personalities, specialize in particular files or
services, and off unique features not found on others. Although some
systems may be in competition with others, in general, the more
quality systems there are, then the more the cyberculture grows. As
the culture grows, the systems flourish.  BOARDWATCH Magazine runs
stories and advertisements on BBS-type systems, and remains an
excellent source of information for systems-shoppers. Some systems,
such as The Well and Mindvox, have become so well known that they need
little advertising.

One impressive new entry is netsys.com (telnet netsys.com). Services
include full Internet access, including IRC, ftp capability,
reasonable rates, and other features. We briefly described it in a
past CuD issue, and asked for additional information. The following
answers most basic questions about netsys.com))

+++

 NETSYS COMMUNICATION SERVICES  Palo Alto, California

 Netsys is a network of large Sun servers dedicated to providing
 Internet access to individuals and corporations that need solid,
 reliable Internet connectivity.

 An account on Netsys will provide members with :

 Electronic Mail: to/from the Internet and gatewayed networks.
                 (including BITNET, MILNET, and even Compuserve).

 Usenet: The worldwide networked message system that generates
         roughly 40-50 megabytes of information daily.

 Telnet: The capability to login to any remote host in any part
         of the world.

 Ftp:    The ability to send and receive documents/programs/data
         to/from any site in the world.

 Misc:   Archie,Gopher, Internet Relay Chat, and WAIS search tools.

 Support: 24 hour emergency response service.

 Dialups: Palo Alto area, High Speed (V.32 and PEP)

 Private Accounts: $20 monthly ( with file storage capacity of 5 megabytes)

                   $1 per megabyte per month over 5 megabytes.

 Commercial Accounts: $40 monthly (file storage capacity of 10 megabytes)
                      $1 per megabyte per month over 10 megabytes.

 Newsfeeds: We offer both nntp and uucp based newsfeeds , with all domestic
            newsgroups,and including all foreign newsgroups.

               SPECIAL FEATURES THAT NO ONE ELSE CAN PROVIDE

 Satellite Weather: Netsys has available real time satellite weather
                    imagery. Images are available in gif, or Sun raster
                    format. Contact us for NFS mirroring, and other special
                    arrangement. These images are directly downlinked from
                    the GOES bird. Contact Steve Eigsti ([email-masked])

 Satellite Usenet: Netsys is offering Pagesat's satellite newsfeed service

                   for large volume news distribution. Members of Netsys
                   can obtain substantial discounts for the purchase and
                   service costs of this revolutionary method of Usenet news
                   distribution.Both Unix and MS Windows software available.
                   Contact Kate Alexander ([email-masked]) for product
                   information.

 Paging Services: Netsys is offering Pagesat's Internet to Pager mail service.
                  Members of Netsys can obtain critical email to pager
                  services. Pagesat has the ability to gateway any critical
                  electronic mail to your display pager.

                      Leased Line Internet Connections

  Pagesat Inc. offers low cost 56k and T1 Internet connections all over the
  United States. Since Pagesat is an FCC common carrier, our savings on
  leased lines can be passed on to you. For further information, contact
  Duane Dubay ([email-masked]).

 We offer other services such as creating domains, acting as MX
 forwarders, and of course uucp based newsfeeds.

 Netsys is now offering completely open shell access to internet users.
 For accounts, or more information , send mail to [email-masked]

 Netsys will NEVER accept more members than our capacity to serve.

 Netsys prides itself on it's excellent connectivity (including multiple T1's,
 and SMDS) ,lightly loaded systems, and it's clientel.

 We're not your average Internet Service Provider. And it shows.

------------------------------

End of Computer Underground Digest #5.73
************************************