Subject: Cu Digest, #5.74 - More on Moby Crypto
From: Cu-Digest <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1993 23:51:51 CDT

Computer underground Digest    Wed  Sep 22 1993   Volume 5 : Issue 74
                           ISSN  1004-042X

       Editors: Jim Thomas and Gordon Meyer ([email-masked])
       Archivist: Brendan Kehoe
       Shadow-Archivists: Dan Carosone / Paul Southworth
                          Ralph Sims / Jyrki Kuoppala
                          Ian Dickinson
    Cookie Editor: Etaoin Shrdlu, III

CONTENTS, #5.74 (Sep 22 1993)
File 1--Phil Zimmerman Comments on Encryption Flap
File 2--NEW State Dept FLASH on Moby Clipper (Grady Ward)
File 3--"Secret Science"
File 4--Comment on Elansky BBS/Conn. Law
File 5--Fingerprinting Welfare Recipients
File 6--Gov't Computer Databases & Right to Privacy (Thesis Abst)
File 7--Revised WH E-mail FAQ

Cu-Digest is a weekly electronic journal/newsletter. Subscriptions are
available at no cost electronically from [email-masked]. The
editors may be contacted by voice (815-753-0303), fax (815-753-6302)
or U.S. mail at:  Jim Thomas, Department of Sociology, NIU, DeKalb, IL
60115.

Issues of CuD can also be found in the Usenet comp.society.cu-digest
news group; on CompuServe in DL0 and DL4 of the IBMBBS SIG, DL1 of
LAWSIG, and DL1 of TELECOM; on GEnie in the PF*NPC RT
libraries and in the VIRUS/SECURITY library; from America Online in
the PC Telecom forum under "computing newsletters;"
On Delphi in the General Discussion database of the Internet SIG;
on the PC-EXEC BBS at (414) 789-4210; and on: Rune Stone BBS (IIRG
WHQ) (203) 832-8441 NUP:Conspiracy; RIPCO BBS (312) 528-5020
CuD is also available via Fidonet File Request from 1:11/70; unlisted
nodes and points welcome.
EUROPE:   from the ComNet in LUXEMBOURG BBS (++352) 466893;
          In ITALY: Bits against the Empire BBS: +39-461-980493

ANONYMOUS FTP SITES:
  UNITED STATES:
                  halcyon.com( 202.135.191.2) in /pub/mirror/cud
                  aql.gatech.edu (128.61.10.53) in /pub/eff/cud
                  etext.archive.umich.edu (141.211.164.18)  in /pub/CuD/cud
                  ftp.eff.org (192.88.144.4) in /pub/cud
  AUSTRALIA:      ftp.ee.mu.oz.au (128.250.77.2) in /pub/text/CuD.
  EUROPE:         nic.funet.fi in pub/doc/cud. (Finland)
                  ftp.warwick.ac.uk in pub/cud (United Kingdom)

COMPUTER UNDERGROUND DIGEST is an open forum dedicated to sharing
information among computerists and to the presentation and debate of
diverse views.  CuD material may  be reprinted for non-profit as long
as the source is cited. Authors hold a presumptive copyright, and
they should be contacted for reprint permission.  It is assumed that
non-personal mail to the moderators may be reprinted unless otherwise
specified.  Readers are encouraged to submit reasoned articles
relating to computer culture and communication.  Articles are
preferred to short responses.  Please avoid quoting previous posts
unless absolutely necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views represented herein do not necessarily represent
            the views of the moderators. Digest contributors assume all
            responsibility for ensuring that articles submitted do not
            violate copyright protections.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 05:36:08 GMT
From: [email-masked](Hugh Miller)
Subject: File 1--Phil Zimmerman Comments on Encryption Flap

Phil asked me to forward this to the Digest.  It points up the
problems of keeping _ANYTHING_ secret in the electronic world (unless,
of course, it is SECURELY encrypted \;-}).

    It is more or less self-explanatory.  Let me square his remark at
the end, though: whatever happens, Phil is facing some pretty vast
legal bills.  Now is the time for all of us who favor crypto for the
masses to pony up and put our wallets where our mouths are.  I pledge
$100 NOW, and challenge every one of you to match or exceed me.  I'll
keep it up until Phil's out of the hole.  ($100 on a regular basis is
a lot of money on an assistant professor's salary with 3 kids.)

    Examine your conscience and write that check.  Pronto.

    Hugh Miller
    Asst. Prof.
    Dept. of Philosophy
    Loyola University Chicago

++-------------------
Date--Sun, 19 Sep 1993 13:38:44 -0500
From--Philip Zimmermann <[email-masked]>
Subject--Zimmermann statement on PGP investigation

Some of you may have received my Internet message of a couple of days
ago about the ongoing U.S. Customs investigation of the exportation
of PGP, which has now progressed to the level of Federal Grand Jury
subpoenas.  This earlier message was intended by me for distribution
to a very small group of friends who previously communicated their
concern about me and the investigation and asked to be kept
informed.  I did not send the message to anyone outside this group.
Unfortunately, I did not adequately assert my desire that the message
not be further disseminated.  It appears that the message has gone
completely public.  This was not my intention.

My lawyer, Phil Dubois, has been in touch with the Assistant U.S.
Attorney (William Keane) assigned to the investigation.  We have no
reason to believe that Mr. Keane is anything other than a professional
and reasonable person.  He made it clear that no decision has been
made regarding any prosecution of anyone for any offense in this
matter.  Such decisions will not be made for some time, perhaps
several months.  Mr. Keane also made clear his willingness to listen
to us (me and my lawyer) before making any decision.  It appears that
both Mr. Keane's mind and the lines of communication are open.

My fear is that public dissemination of my message will close the
lines of communication and put Mr. Keane into an irretrievably
adversarial position.  Such a result would not serve any of our
interests.  My lawyer tells me that nothing irritates a prosecutor
more than being the subject of what he perceives to be an
orchestrated publicity campaign.  He also tells me that his
nightmares involve FOAs (Friends Of the Accused), invariably people
with good intentions, doing things on their own.  I understand that
the issues involved in this investigation are of the greatest
importance and transcend my personal interests.  Even so, I would
rather not turn an investigation into a full-scale federal
prosecution.  I ask that everyone keep in mind that the government's
resources are limitless and that mine are not.

Speaking of resources, many of you have offered help, and I am
grateful.  Those wishing to contribute financially or otherwise
should contact either me or Philip L. Dubois, Esq., at [email-masked]
or by phone at 303-444-3885 or by mail at 2305 Broadway, Boulder, CO,
80304.  Mr. Dubois has just got on the Internet and is still learning
how to use it.  Donated funds will be kept in a trust account, and all
contributions will be accounted for.  If this whole thing somehow goes
away with money left in the account, the balance will be refunded to
contributors in proportion to the amounts of their contributions.

This message can be widely circulated on public forums.

Philip Zimmermann
[email-masked]
303 541-0140

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 21:13:17 GMT
From: Grady Ward <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 2--NEW State Dept FLASH on Moby Clipper (Grady Ward)

(please edit follow-ups)

In a fresh (to me, stunning) development, the Austin Code Works
received a letter today (Tuesday 9/21/93) from the State Department,
Bureau of Politico Military Affairs, Office of Defense Trade Controls
advising them, in part, of their need to register as an International
Arms Trafficker *even if* their crypto material is intended solely for
*domestic* publication, regardless of whether they are selling
executables, source, descriptions, algorithms of any crypto (and
presumably viral detection) software or documentation, as defined by
ITAR.

This requirement literally implies that a Cereal manufacturer is
required to register as an arms trafficker if it wants to include a
secret de/coder ring in the box, has a cardboard outline of a de/coder
printed on the box, or even a description how to construct or use a
de/coder ring.

Complete text of the letter follows:

(State Department Seal)
United States Department of State

Bureau of Politico-Military Affairs
Office of Defense Trade Controls

Washington, D.C. 20522-0602

AUG 31 1993

Austin Code Works
11100 Leafwood Lane
Austin, TX  78750-3587

Dear Sir:

It has come to the attention of this office that your company is
making cryptographic source code and technical data available
for commercial export claiming a technical data exemption
from the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Cryptographic software, including source code, is a munitions
article as defined in 22 CFR # 120.1, category XIII(b).  Further,
the exemptions listed in 22 CFR # 125.4 for technical data do
not apply to cryptographic software and source code.  A valid
Department of State license is required to export cryptographic
source code.  As such, it would be a violation of the
International Traffic in Arms Regulations to export
cryptographic source code without a valid Department of State
export license.

We take this opportunity of advise you that any company or
individual who engages in the United State in the business of
either manufacturing or exporting defense articles or
furnishing defense services is required to register for a fee
with the Office of Defense Trade Controls (DTC) pursuant to 22
U.S.C. # 2778(b)(1)(A) and 22 C.F.R. Part 122.  Furthermore, the
export of such defense articles and related technical data must
be licensed by the Department of State in accordance with 22
U.S.C # 2778(b)(1)(B)(2) and 22 D.F.R. Parts 120-130
(International Traffic in Arms Regulations).  A booklet entitled
"REGISTRATION: The First Step in Defense Trade" is enclosed.

If you are unsure whether an article is on the U.S. Munitions
List, you may send five (5) copies of descriptive literature
about the product and request a commodity jurisdiction
determination from this office according to 22 C.F.R # 120.5 of
the ITAR.

If you have any questions regarding the matters discussed in
this letter, please do not hesitate to contact this office at (703)
875-6650.

Sincerely,

(signed) Clyde G. Bryant, Jr., Chief
Compliance and Enforcement Branch

++++++++++++++++

I guess this means that all FTP sites who implement the GET command
and have anything to do with crypto or viral detection, including
RFCs, overviews or discussions of specific techniques or algorithms,
etc. must be registered as International Arms Traffickers *even if*
they disallow all but domestic FTP connections.

What to do now.

My advice to this new twist of the NSA and State Department regulating
activities *within* the United States is twofold:

(1) GET and FAMILIARIZE yourself with PGP sources or other crypto
options NOW and upload it to your local BBS (if you deem it still
legal for you to do these things) and

(2) Consider supporting the Electronic Freedom Foundation.

PGP sites:

        black.ox.ac.uk          (129.67.1.165)
        src.doc.ic.ac.uk        (146.169.2.1)
        ftp.demon.co.uk         (158.152.1.65)
        ghost.dsi.unimi.it      (149.132.2.1)
        nic.funet.fi            (128.214.6.100)
        soda.berkeley.edu       (128.32.149.19)

Electronic Freedom Foundation
1001 G Street, NW
Suite 950 East
Washington, D.C.  20001
202/347-5400 voice
202/393-5509 FAX
FTP  ftp.eff.org

------------------------------

Date: 22 Sep 93 19:05:22 EDT
From: Urnst Kouch <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 3--"Secret Science"

((MODERATORS' NOTE: Urnst Kouch is editor of Crypt Newsletter, a
periodic 'Zine of tech information and political satire and
commentary)).

     "In 1989 the Pentagon classified as secret a set of
     rocks -- Russian rocks gathered by Americans, with Moscow's
     approval -- from below the surface of Soviet territory.
     [According to the classification memorandum] '. . .Those
     who want them must be government-certified to handle
     secret rocks.' Soviet officials said they were ordinary
     rocks . . ."
         --from Herbert N. Foerstel's "Secret Science:
         Federal Control of American Science and Technology,"
         (1993, Praeger Publishers)

CuD readers following the National Security Agency's attack on Phil
Zimmerman and the cryptography algorithms involved in Pretty Good
Privacy might want to stroll over to their favorite library and browse
Herbert N. Foerstel's "Secret Science," an interesting book which
reviews the increasingly smothering and anti-democratic government
control over technology and science in the US. Foerstel is the head of
the University of Maryland's Engineering & Physical Sciences Library
and his book expends quite a bit of effort documenting the National
Security Agency's efforts to control and classify any technology -
usually cryptography - which falls within its sphere of interest.

Completely beyond public oversight, the NSA operates almost entirely
behind the curtain of "deep black" classification, despite, in recent
years, a cynical facade of public relations efforts and "friendly"
review of cryptography research.

Foerstel's book recounts the relentless campaign by the NSA to control
cryptographic research funding through the National Science Foundation
and efforts to wrest all independence from the scientific community
through the idea of voluntary prior restraint.  What this translates
to, according to "Secret Science," is that all scientists engaged in
cryptographic research should be gentlemen and funnel all findings to
the NSA for oversight or the agency will use executive mandates to
intimidate and quash those in non-compliance.

Foerstel does not candy-coat the story, pointing out when he thinks it
appropriate, the self-serving agendas and illogic of government
leaders.

For example, Foerstel writes:

"Many in business and government point out the impossibility of
controlling cryptographic software.  Indeed, the U.S. has agreed to
let its allies decontrol mass market software with encryption
features, and foreign companies, unencumbered by munitions-type
restrictions are bringing encrypted software and related services to
the international market.  The British have stated publicly that they
are permitting the uncontrolled export of such software, but US
software manufacturers are prevented from selling their products
abroad."

Foerstel also compares the price of a brute force solution to the
current dumbed down NSA compliant DES key: $5,000 as opposed to _$200
septillion_ using the original IBM 128-bit key.

The conclusion he draws is simple and ugly:  Our government is
determined to impede the development and dissemination of
sophisticated cryptographic tools in the private sector, mainly
because it wants to reserve the right to break the privacy of American
citizens when deemed necessary. The rationalization that national
sensitive technology must be kept from foreign hands is a sham.

It's hard to emphasize how good a read "Secret Science" is!  In
addition to amusing stuff on the above passage dealing with "secret
rocks," the book covers the explosion of classification during the
Reagan administration, the drive to lock up general scientific
material in libraries thought to be sensitive even _after_ widespread
international publication and the FBI's continuing campaign to comb
public libraries for imagined revolutionaries, troublemakers,
foreigners or anyone with foreign-sounding names who accesses the
technical literature.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1993 18:05:26 -0400
From: Doug Luce <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 4--Comment on Elansky BBS/Conn. Law

<In CuD 5.72, the CuD moderators cite Connecticut laws under
which Michael Elansky is being charged>:

> (a) A person is guilty of inciting injury to persons or property
> when ... he advocates, encourages, justifies, praises, incites or
> solicits ... any assault upon ... the police force of this or any
> other state ....

Public decentralized computer networks are an assault on what we call
the police force.  These information systems furnish easily accessible
facts and opinions on drugs, criminal acts, criminal psychology,
police practices, and government policy.  They are a new medium which
disseminates high-quality data currently unfettered by state or mass
media controls.  They force close public examination of the power
constructs of the government of the United States.

There isn't a more acute or potentially destructive threat to law
enforcement agencies as they are today.  It is to the advantage of the
police to round up and permanently detain the people responsible in
any way for the operation of the networks.  Bad publicity generated by
this effort will be far outweighed by the benefit of nullifying this
destructive potential.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 19:09:57 EDT
From: [email-masked](Joseph Christie)
Subject: File 5--Fingerprinting Welfare Recipients

A further update. Last week the Suffolk County Legislature voted to
implement a fingerprinting system for welfare recipients. The plan is
being forwarded to NY State, who hasn't said that Suffolk can not do
this but they did authorize fingerprinting on a test basis in two
upstate counties and not in Suffolk. Suffolk County says they don't
need State approval and the State refuses to comment until they
formally receive and review the official policy statement from
Suffolk.

Opponents claim that the county should go after provider fraud as this
is a big ticket item whereas recipient fraud is a small ticket item.

On another note, the Sept. 13th issue of Communications Week mentions
that ViaCrypt, a division of Lemcom of Phoenix, is preparing to market
a public key encryption program. They have obtained a sub-license from
PKP.  According to ViaCrypt's president, "What we're going to do is
marry our family of encryption engines to selected parts of PGP code."
Further "(It) will be covered by the PKP patent license but from the
outside will look like PGP."

They expect to market the MS-DOS version in early Nov. Mac and UNIX
versions to follow. Cost $199.95 per user but will sell for half price
through the end of this year.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 12:31:54 CDT
From: CuD Moderators <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 6--Gov't Computer Databases & Right to Privacy (Thesis Abst)

                               ABSTRACT

              Computerized Governmental Database Systems
                   Containing Personal Information
                                 And
                         The Right to Privacy
                                  by
                   Lewis William Oleinick, M.P.Af.
               The University of Texas at Austin, 1993
             SUPERVISORS: Chandler Stolp and Philip Doty

     This report identifies and examines the potential threats to
individual privacy created by the collection, aggregation, and
dissemination of personal information by governmental agencies and the
role computer systems play in potentiating such threats.  Computer
matching, computer profiling, the national criminal justice database,
and portfolio creation via data aggregation of personal information
are the governmental activities stipulated to be potentially
threatening to personal privacy.  These four activities are forms of
"dataveillance."  Dataveillance poses dangers to the security of civil
liberties in a free society.

     To carry on an intelligible discussion about privacy and how the
collection, aggregation, and dissemination of personal information by
governmental agencies may threaten individual privacy it is necessary
to first define privacy and personal information.  Independence,
autonomy, dignity, and respect create a conceptual framework upon
which privacy may be defined.

     Privacy is a culturally defined norm.  As such a discussion of
the American cultural tradition of privacy is necessary to understand
both how Americans have defined privacy over time and the roles
privacy has played in American society in 1) "starting over," 2) in
interpersonal relationships, and 3) in maintaining the "balance of
power" with the State.  Privacy is held to be as important as the
unalienable rights of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" by
the majority of the American public.  Americans have become more and
more concerned with their privacy as intrusive technologies have
evolved.  Many Americans fear that computers allow the U.S. Government
too much power over the average citizen.
     Privacy has been protected in the United States by

precedents set in court cases, by legislation and by executive act.
The breadth of cases pertaining to privacy precludes the examination
of all cases.  Supreme Court cases provide a historical overview of
the evolution of the right to privacy as the questions presented to
the Court have become more complex with the introduction of new
technologies into the law enforcement process.

     Congress has attempted to address the public's concerns of the
government's collection, aggregation, and dissemination of personal
information by passing legislation designed to protect individual
privacy.  The four major pieces of legislation passed by Congress for
the protection of the citizen's right to privacy are the Freedom of
Information Act, the Privacy Act, the Computer Security Act of 1987,
and the Computer Matching and Privacy Protection Act of 1988.  The
Office of Management and Budget has produced regulations designed to
enforce the intent of the legislation promulgated by Congress.  These
regulations are contained in OMB Circular A-130 which details federal
information policy.

     This report concludes by suggesting the need for the
implementation of a Privacy Protection Board at the national level.
Such a board would be based on the model suggested by David Flaherty.

     The primary conclusion that should be drawn from this report is
that society as a whole must re-evaluate the existing paradigm of who
should be in control of personal information; i.e., should it be the
agency who collects it or should the power of control remain with the
individual about whom the information was collected.  This report
suggests that a certain modicum of control over the disclosure of
personal information should revert to the individual about whom the
information was collected.

------------------------------

Date:         Sat, 4 Sep 1993 18:41:02 EST
From:         Dave Banisar <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 7--Revised WH E-mail FAQ

  Revised WH E-mail FAQ
     WHITE HOUSE ELECTRONIC PUBLICATIONS AND PUBLIC ACCESS EMAIL
                      FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

                        Updated August 30, 1993

                          Table Of Contents

        I.    Signing up for Daily Electronic Publications.
                A.  Widely Available Sources.
                B.  Notes on Widely Available Sources.
                C.  Direct Email Distribution

        II.   Searching and Retrieving White House documents.
                -  WAIS
                -  GOPHER
                -  FedWorld BBS

        III.  Sending Email to the White House.
                -  Internet Direct
                -  Forwarding From Other Networks

I.  HOW DO I SIGN UP FOR ELECTRONIC PUBLICATIONS BY THE WHITE HOUSE?

The White House Communications office is distributing press releases
over an experimental system developed during the campaign at the MIT
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.

You can obtain copies of all the press releases from a wide variety of
on-line services or discussion groups devoted to either national
politics in general or President Clinton in particular.  These are
listed in sections I and II.

Section Ic explains how you can sign up to receive press releases
directly from the experimental MIT system by using an automated email
server.  The present system was not designed to handle high levels of
message traffic. A more powerful system will become available in due
course, and in the meantime, it would be appreciated if you used this
service sparingly.  One appropriate current use is secondary
redistribution and archiving. If you use it, you will be carried
forward when the more powerful system that replaces it.

A. WIDELY AVAILABLE SOURCES

1.  On USENET/NETNEWS, electronic publications are found on a variety
    of groups:

        Direct Distribution

                alt.politics.clinton
                alt.politics.org.misc
                alt.politics.reform
                alt.politics.usa.misc
                alt.news-media
                alt.activism
                talk.politics.misc

        Indirect Distribution

                misc.activism.progressive
                cmu.soc.politics
                assocs.clinton-gore-92

2.  On CompuServe: GO WHITEHOUSE

3.  On America Online: keyword WHITEHOUSE or THE WHITEHOUSE or CLINTON

4.  On The WELL: type whitehouse

5.  On MCI: type VIEW WHITE HOUSE

6.  On Fidonet: See Echomail WHITEHOUSE

7.  On Peacenet or Econet: See pol.govinfo.usa.

B. NOTES ON WIDELY AVAILABLE SOURCES

2.      CompuServe's White House Forum (GO WHITEHOUSE) is devoted to
        discussion of the Clinton administration's policies and
        activities. The forum's library consists of news releases and
        twice daily media briefings from the White House Office of
        Media Affairs. CompuServe members can exchange information and
        opinions with each other in the 17 sections in the forum's
        message area. The message board spans a broad range of topics,
        including international and United Nations activities,
        defense, health care, the economy and the deficit, housing and
        urban development, the environment, and education and national
        service.

3.      On America Online the posts are sent to the White House Forum,
        located in the News & Finance department of the service and
        accessible via keywords "white house" and "clinton."  The
        White House Forum on America Online contains the press
        releases from the White House, divided into the categories
        "Press Briefings," "Meetings & Speeches," "Foreign Policy,"
        "The Economy," "Technology," "Health Care," and
        "Appointments." The area features a message board so you can
        discuss the releases with other AOL members, and a searchable
        database for easy retrieval of releases in the topic that
        interests you.

4.      MCI Mail users can access daily information on the administration's
        programs provided by the White House through MCI Mail bulletin
        boards.  The available boards are: WHITE HOUSE ECONOMIC, WHITE
        HOUSE FOREIGN, WHITE HOUSE SOCIAL, WHITE HOUSE SPEECHES and
        WHITE HOUSE NEWS.  A listing of these boards can also be
        obtained by simply typing VIEW WHITE HOUSE at the COMMAND
        prompt.

C. DIRECT EMAIL DISTRIBUTION

If you don't have access to the these accounts or if you would prefer
to receive the releases via email, then the next section details how
to sign up for this service.  The server is not set up to answer
email letters, comments or requests for specific information. To
reach this MIT server, send email:

                To: [email-masked]
                Subject--Help

The server works by reading the subject line of the incoming message
and taking whatever action that line calls for. If you want to sign up
to automatically receive press releases, then your subject line would
begin with the word RECEIVE.  You can then specify what kind of
information you are interested in receiving. The categories of
information are:

ECONOMIC POLICY
                Get releases related to the economy such as budget
                news, technology policy review, etc.

FOREIGN POLICY
                Get releases related to foreign policy such as
                statements on Bosnian airdrop, Haitian refugee status,
                etc.

SOCIAL POLICY
                Get releases related to social issues like National
                Service (Student Loan) program, abortion, welfare
                reform, etc.

SPEECHES
                All speeches made by the President and important
                speeches made by other Administration officials.

NEWS
                Transcripts of press conferences released by the White
                House Communications office, as well as the
                President's remarks in photo ops and other Q&A
                sessions.

ALL             All of the above

So, if you wanted to sign up to get releases related to the economy
your email message would look like this:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject--RECEIVE ECONOMY

When you send a signup message to the clinton-info server, it sends
you back a status message letting you know what distribution streams
you are signed up for. If you ever want to check on what groups you
are signed up for send the following message:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject--STATUS

You can stop receiving email releases by sending a REMOVE message to
the clinton-info server. The word REMOVE would be followed by whatever
distribution stream you wanted to drop. If you wanted to stop
receiving message about the ECONOMY then your mail would look like
this:

        To: [email-masked] Subject--REMOVE ECONOMY

You could substitute SOCIAL, FOREIGN, SPEECHES, NEWS or ALL for
ECONOMY in the above message and you would be dropped from that
distribution list. If you send the subject line REMOVE ALL, then you
will be taken off the email distribution system all together and will
not receive further releases of any kind.

You can also ask for help from the automated server.  Send an email
query as follows:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject--HELP

The server will respond by sending you a detailed form that will guide
you through the process of signing up for the various distribution
streams.  As you will quickly discover, there is a automatic form
processing interface that parallel the quick and easy subject line
commands discussed here. More detailed help is available by sending
an email query as follows:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject--Please Help!

Finally, if you want to search and retrieve documents, but you do not
have access to the retrieval methods discussed in section II, you can
do this via email through the MIT server. You can obtain the WAIS
query form by sending an email query as follows:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject--WAIS

Once you have identified the documents that you want, be careful not
to request them all at once, because you may be sent a message
containing all the documents and this message may be too big for some
mail delivery systems between the email server and you.

II.  HOW DO I RETRIEVE WHITE HOUSE PUBLICATIONS FROM INTERNET ARCHIVES?

Various sites are archiving the press releases distributed .  What follows
is an
incomplete list of some of the sites containing the documents that
have been released to date.  This FAQ will be updated to reflect new
sites as they become known.

         SITE                           DIRECTORY

1. SUNSITE.UNC.EDU
pub/academic/political-science/whitehouse-papers
2. FTP.CCO.CALTECH.EDU          /PUB/BJMCCALL
3. FTP MARISTB.MARIST.EDU
4. CPSR.ORG                     /CPSR/CLINTON
5. FedWorld Online System       703-321-8020  8-N-1  or:
                                Telnet fedworld.doc.gov

Notes:  The following are notes on how to log in and get
        information from the above sites.

1.      Office FOR Information Technology at University of
        North Carolina Maintains the full collection of White
        House electronic release available for search with WAIS and
        also accessible via Gopher and FTP.
1.a        WAIS
        (:source
        :version 3
        :database-name "/home3/wais/White-House-Papers" :ip-
                address "152.2.22.81"
        :ip-name "sunsite.unc.edu"
        :tcp-port 210
        :cost 0.00
        :cost-unit :free
        :maintainer "[email-masked]"

        :description "Server created with WAIS release 8 b5 on
        Feb 27 15:16:16 1993 by [email-masked] These are the
        White House Press Briefings and other postings dealing with
        William Jefferson Clinton and Albert Gore as well as members
        of the President's Cabinet and the first lady Hillary Rodham
        Clinton, Chelsea, Socks and others in Washington DC. Dee Dee
        Meyers and George Stephanopoulos.  Other good words:
        United States of America, Bill Al Tipper Democrats USA
        US These files are also available via anonymous ftp
        from sunsite.unc.edu The files of type filename used in
        the index were:
        /home3/ftp/pub/academic/political-science/whitehouse-
         papers/1993 ")

        Folks without WAIS clients or gophers that act as WAIS
        clients may telnet to sunsite.unc.edu and login as swais
        to access this information via WAIS.

1.b        GOPHER is a distributed menuing system for information access on
the
        Internet developed at the University of Minnesota. gophers are
        client-server implementations and various gopher clients are
        available for nearly any computing platform.  You may now use
        gopher clients to access the White House Papers and other
        political information on SunSITE.unc.edu's new gopher server.
        You may also add links from your local gopher server to
        SunSITE for access to the White House Papers.

        For gopher server keepers and adventurous clients to access
        SunSITE you need only know that we use the standard gopher
        port 70 and that our internet address is SunSITE.unc.edu
        (152.2.22.81). Point there and you'll see the references to
        the Politics areas.

        For folks without gopher clients can telnet to sunsite.unc.edu
        to try out gopher access. You need to have access to internet
        telnet and:

                        telnet sunsite.unc.edu
                        login: gopher

        The rest is very straight forward. Browsing options end with a
        directory mark (/), searching options end with an question mark (?).
        There's plenty of on-line help available.

2.      No special instructions.

3.      The CLINTON@MARIST log files which contain all the official
        administration releases distributed through the MIT servers
        are available via anonymous FTP. These logs contain in
        addition to the official releases, the posts that comprise the
        ongoing discussion conducted by the list subscribers.
        To obtain the logs:
        FTP MARISTB.MARIST.EDU - the logs are in the CLINTON directory
        and are named CLINTON LOG9208 thru CLINTON LOGyymm where yymm
        stands for the current year and month. Problems should be
        directed to my attention: [email-masked] or
        [email-masked].
        Posted by Lee Sakkas - owner, CLINTON@MARIST

4.      Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility is
        providing all Clinton documents on technology and privacy
        at the CPSR Internet Library, available via
        FTP/WAIS/Gopher at cpsr.org /cpsr/clinton (and in other
        folders as relevant). For email access, send a message
        with the word "help" at the 1st line of text to
        [email-masked].

5.      The FedWorld Computer System, operated by the National Technical
        Information Service, archives White House papers in a
        traditional BBS type file library.  Connect to FedWorld by
        calling (703) 321-8020.  No parity, eight data bits and one stop
        bit (N-8-1).  FedWorld accommodates baud speeds of up to 9,600.
        It is also possible to Telnet to FedWorld at FedWorld.doc.gov.
        White House papers are located in the W-House library of files.
        To access this library from the main FedWorld menu,
        enter <f s w-house>.  Files are named with the first four digits
        being the release month and day (e.g. 0323XXX.txt).  Some
        standard abbreviations after the date include:

                rem - Remarks by the President
                pc  - Press Conference transcript
                pr  - Press Release
                AM  - AM Press Briefing
                PM  - PM Press Briefing
                sch - The President's public schedule
                spch- Text of major speeches.

        These files are saved in ASCII format.  Files can be viewed
        online by requesting to download a file and then selecting
        (L)ist as the download protocol.   This will display the file a
        screen at a time.  White House papers are kept in the above
        format for up to two months.  Papers more than two months old
        are compressed using Pkzip into a single file that contains all
        of the files for that month (e.g.  0193.zip contains all papers
        released during January 1993).  In addition to White Documents,
        FedWorld also provides a gateway to more than 100 government
        funded BBSs and computer systems.

III.  HOW DO I SEND EMAIL TO THE WHITE HOUSE?

We are pleased to introduce this new form of communication into the
White House for the first time in history.  As we work to reinvent
government and streamline our processes, this electronic mail experiment
will help put us on the leading edge of progress.  Please remember,
though, this is still very much an experiment.

The White House email system is under construction.  This is a new
project and suffers from all of the problems common to a startup
operation.  The Communications office is currently working on defining
what this system will do, as well as trying to come up with equipment
and staffing to make sure that it works.

Nobody wants this new venture to work more than the staff that has
devoted so many hours to getting it up and running.  But much time and
effort will be required before the system is truly interactive.  In the
mean time, they will need a little patience from the electronic
community.

When you send to the White House you will receive an immediate
acknowledge that your message has been received. Email messages are
currently being printed out and responses are being sent out via US
Mail, so if you send a message to the White House, please include a US
Post office address for replies.

        You can send email to the following addresses:

Internet Direct:        [email-masked]
                        [email-masked]

Please send corrections, deletion and additions to this FAQ to:

                        [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of Computer Underground Digest #5.74
************************************