Subject: Cu Digest, #5.86
From: Cu-Digest <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1993 17:29:22 CST

Computer underground Digest    Sun  Nov 14 1993   Volume 5 : Issue 86
                           ISSN  1004-042X

       Editors: Jim Thomas and Gordon Meyer ([email-masked])
       Archivist: Brendan Kehoe
       Shadow-Archivists: Dan Carosone / Paul Southworth
                          Ralph Sims / Jyrki Kuoppala
                          Ian Dickinson
    Copy Eatitor: Etaoin Shrdlu, III

CONTENTS, #5.86 (Nov 14 1993)
File 1--Details on Phiber Optik Sentencing (Newsbytes Reprint)
File 2--Sentencing in Elansky Case set for Nov. 19
File 3--BCS Community Technology Publication Available
File 4--NII Call for Action
File 5--On-Line Access to Gov't Info in Texas
File 6--CPSR NII Call for Action
File 7--DOS 6.2 BUG!!!

Cu-Digest is a weekly electronic journal/newsletter. Subscriptions are
available at no cost electronically from [email-masked]. The
editors may be contacted by voice (815-753-0303), fax (815-753-6302)
or U.S. mail at:  Jim Thomas, Department of Sociology, NIU, DeKalb, IL
60115.

Issues of CuD can also be found in the Usenet comp.society.cu-digest
news group; on CompuServe in DL0 and DL4 of the IBMBBS SIG, DL1 of
LAWSIG, and DL1 of TELECOM; on GEnie in the PF*NPC RT
libraries and in the VIRUS/SECURITY library; from America Online in
the PC Telecom forum under "computing newsletters;"
On Delphi in the General Discussion database of the Internet SIG;
on the PC-EXEC BBS at (414) 789-4210; and on: Rune Stone BBS (IIRG
WHQ) (203) 832-8441 NUP:Conspiracy; RIPCO BBS (312) 528-5020
CuD is also available via Fidonet File Request from 1:11/70; unlisted
nodes and points welcome.
EUROPE:   from the ComNet in LUXEMBOURG BBS (++352) 466893;
          In ITALY: Bits against the Empire BBS: +39-461-980493

ANONYMOUS FTP SITES:
  AUSTRALIA:      ftp.ee.mu.oz.au (128.250.77.2) in /pub/text/CuD.
  EUROPE:         ftp.funet.fi in pub/doc/cud. (Finland)
  UNITED STATES:
                  aql.gatech.edu (128.61.10.53) in /pub/eff/cud
                  etext.archive.umich.edu (141.211.164.18)  in /pub/CuD/cud
                  ftp.eff.org (192.88.144.4) in /pub/cud
                  halcyon.com( 202.135.191.2) in /pub/mirror/cud
                  ftp.warwick.ac.uk in pub/cud (United Kingdom)

COMPUTER UNDERGROUND DIGEST is an open forum dedicated to sharing
information among computerists and to the presentation and debate of
diverse views.  CuD material may  be reprinted for non-profit as long
as the source is cited. Authors hold a presumptive copyright, and
they should be contacted for reprint permission.  It is assumed that
non-personal mail to the moderators may be reprinted unless otherwise
specified.  Readers are encouraged to submit reasoned articles
relating to computer culture and communication.  Articles are
preferred to short responses.  Please avoid quoting previous posts
unless absolutely necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views represented herein do not necessarily represent
            the views of the moderators. Digest contributors assume all
            responsibility for ensuring that articles submitted do not
            violate copyright protections.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 19:33:37 EST
From: [email-masked](John F. McMullen)
Subject: File 1--Details on Phiber Optik Sentencing (Newsbytes Reprint)

  ** This article appeared on Newsbytes, an international commercial
   service. It is copyright and is re-printed here with the express
   permission of the authors. **

Phiber Optik Sentenced To Prison -  11/08/93
NEW YORK, NEW YORK, U.S.A..(NB) 110893 -- Mark Abene, known
also by the hacker handle "Phiber Optik" has been sentenced in federal
court to one year and one day in federal prison for activities related to
computer intrusion. Abene will surrender himself on Friday, January 7,
1994 to authorities to begin his sentence.

Abene pled guilty on July 2, 1993 to two counts of computer related crime.
Count One involved conspiracy with 4 other individuals to commit computer
crime while Count Two involved breaking into a computer belonging to
Southwestern Bell Telephone Company. The four other persons named on the
conspiracy indictment, Elias Ladopoulous ("Acid Phreak"), Paul Stira
("Scorpion"), Julio Fernandez ("Outlaw"), and John Lee "("Corrupt") , had
pled guilty prior to Abene and, with the exception of Fernandez, are all
currently serving sentence. A federal prosecutor told Newsbytes that date
will be set shortly for Fernandez's sentencing..

Justice Louis Stanton, presiding over Abene's case, began the proceeding
by asking whether there were any objections to the report prepared by the
probation department concerning Abene. Paul Ruskin, attorney for Abene,
stated that he believed that the report seems "unreasonably harsh".
Stanton replied that, while that may be the case, it was just one of the
items that he would consider in determining sentence. He added that he had
received more correspondence concerning this case than for "any that he
could remember".

Stanton then said that the parties should understand that he was not
considering in his decision an incident involving New York City television
station WNET where computer intruders interrupted the use of a computer
system - Abene had denied involvement and The U.S Attorney's letter of
October 29th to Judge Stanton concerning Abene's sentencing said "The
Government does not have any information that Mr. Abene was actually
responsible for the destruction of WNET's information. It is clear that
Mr.  Abene's co-conspirators were responsible."

The judge then asked for statements from the attorneys and Abene. Paul
Ruskin, representing Abene, said the teenager that committed the acts to
which Abene pled guilty to is not the person sitting in court and that
Abene hopes to use his computer skills for the benefit of society to atone
for his actions. Ruskin mentioned a letter sent to Judge Stanton by
ex-military intelligence officer Robert Steele, offering to secure Abene a
position with a government agency to fulfill community service. Ruskin
asked that the judge consider that as an alternative to incarceration.

Abene then spoke, saying that he apologized for his actions and was "sorry
that they were misconstrued malicious."

Assistant U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman said that he found it difficult to
believe that Abene's actions disconnecting the phone service of rival
hackers was not malicious. He also said that Abene "does not show
contrition even today for his actions."

He also said "Hacking crimes constitute a real threat to the expanding
information highway. A message must be sent that breaking into other
people's computers is a serious crime and will be treated as serious"

Stanton then began his sentencing by reviewing some of the issues, saying,
in part, "One argument concerning the defendant's actions is that they
took place when he was young, from seventeen to twenty. At that age,
people excited by things may do reckless things. .... The objectives of
punishment are both to change the behavior of the person (sentenced) and
to deter others from similar actions. .. Invasion of computers is
seductive to the young both because of the intellectual challenge and the
risk. A message must be sent that it is serious. .. The defendant stands
as a symbol because of his own efforts; therefore, he stands as a symbol
here today."

Stanton then imposed the sentence.
- 12 months and 1 day of incarceration in federal prison
- 600 of community service with the hope that it will involve the use of
Abene's computer skills
- 3 years supervised probation
- $100 special assessment.

Stanton said that he was imposing no fine, other than the required special
assessment, because it was clear that Abene has no real assets. He said
that he was imposing no restitution to the victims of Abene's actions
because it was not evident what expenditures could be traced directly to
his actions rather than to needed security improvements and because the
victims had not been able to clearly show what services of theirs that
Abene had used and to what extent. He added that he had been tempted to
impose a longer sentence but decided that this was sufficient.

Berman told Newsbytes "the government feels that the sentence was
appropriate. Judge Stanton clearly understands the issues and his use of
this knowledge in determining the sentence was extremely important."

Berman added "Abene was the most culpable of MOD (ed. the hacker group
named in the indictment). He was the only member of the conspiracy active
for the entire life of the conspiracy. Agents seized highly incriminating
documents from him in 1990. His response was not to walk the straight and
narrow; it was rather to continue his illegal actions. He has shown no
contrition for his acts and has continually portrayed himself as one of
the top computer hackers in the country. The sentence is important because
it sends a message that it is a crime to intrude in public data networks.
MOD was one of the biggest hacking organizations in the country. The case
was very significant."

Abene's attorneys. Lawrence Schoenbach and Paul Ruskin also spoke to
Newsbytes after the verdict. Schoenbach said "While I'm disappointed that
Mark is going to jail, I recognize the judge's concern for deterring this
type of crime -- this is the crime of the "next century". Mark has always
been the message bearer for computer  hacking. When it was for hacking,
he was the leader; now he is the in the punishment -- The Leona Helmsley
of computer hacking."

Paul Ruskin said "The government and the court is taking the position that
it is better to deter in this area by punishment rather than deterring
through effective use of technology."

Mike Godwin, staff counsel for the Electronic Foundation, commented on
the sentence to Newsbytes, saying "The sentence is harsher than I had
hoped for bit I'm pleased that the judge gave a lot of attention to the
underlying issues involved in such a case"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 08:28:32 EST
From: IIRG <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 2--Sentencing in Elansky Case set for Nov. 19

((MODERATORS' NOTE: The following edited summary was provided by
Mercenary of the IIRG in Briston, Conn.)).

                 SENTENCING IN COMPUTER CASE NOV. 19 (From The
              Hartford Courant, Nov 11, 1993)
                           By John M. Moran

     A West Hartford man, jailed after police found bombmaking recipes
     on his computer bulletin board, will spend at least another nine
     days behind bars--and possibly much longer.

     In Hartford, Superior Court Judge Thomas Miano, who is about to
     sentence Michael Elansky, said at a pre-sentencing hearing
     Wednesday ((Nov. 10)) that he is not convinced the 21-year old
     fully realizes his mistakes.

(The article describes the judge's comments to Elansky, in which he
felt that Elansky should "wake up" and fully admit "wrong-doing" as a
step toward "rehabilitation.")

     Elansky has been held at the Hartford Correctional Center since
     his arrest in August on charges of illegally keeping bomb-making
     instructions on his computer bulletin board.

     At the time, Elansky was on probation for previous charges
     involving explosives and illegal credit card use. He was also
     facing an unrelated count of conspiring to burglarize Hall High
     School in West Hartford.

(The article notes that Elansky has pleaded guilty for violating
probation and that the prosecution will not press charges relating to
the high school burglary charges or the bomb recipes.  The Prosecutor,
Ass't State's Attorney Joan Alexander, argued for a prison sentence
because she felt Elansky "refuses to accept responsibility" for his
actions." Elansky's attorney, Richard Brown, disagreed. He claimed
that Elansky has learned his lesson from 90 days in jail and more
jail/prison time would be "counterproductive").

     Elansky, himself, made a tearful plea for mercy, saying he just
     wants to go back to his family and his job.

     "This place is truly hell for me, your honor," he told Miano.
     "I've had to do a lot of growing up while I've been in jail. I've
     gotten the message that only jail can deliver."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Nov 93 23:30:14 PST
From: Peter Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 3--BCS Community Technology Publication Available

Boston Computer Society Social Impact/Public Service Publication
Available
   -- ------- ------ ------------- ------- ----------- ---------

The 44-page November 1993 issue of IMPACT, the Boston Computer
Society's social impact, nonprofit assistance, and public service
publication, contains lots of community telecommunications material,
both about what's happening and from online mailings and conferences:

* Michael Stein on "Aether Madness: Nonprofits Enter Cyberspace"

* The statement of seven democratic public interest telecommunications
  principles generated by Telecommunications Policy Roundtable and the
  Center for Media Education (CME), an introduction to the principles,
  info about CME and the 66 organizations who signed on for the
  October 26th press conference.

* The Center for Civic Networking's National Vision and Strategy

* Dilbert in cyberspace, and and other print and online resources
  including a number of the EduNets.

* On IGC/PeaceNet/EcoNet winning this year's CPSR Award, and more info
  about CPSR.

Other feature articles include:

* The lead article on "TecsChange and the Caravan to El Salvador" by
  Aram Falsafi, a journey last March which saw the welcoming party for
  the materials and technology delivery turn into a nonviolent
  demonstration which closed down the National Assembly.

* "Technology and Community," Gary Chapman's keynote panel address at
  the 3rd New England Computers and Social Change Conference, an
  update of the conference, the BCS Social Impact Group monthly
  program, and the January '94 Conference at MIT on Unemployment and
  the High Tech Revolution.

* A special center insert on "Community Computing Center News and
  Notes," with information about the Playing to Win network of
  community computing centers, an edited selection from the Handbook
  for Future Center, the Community Technology Lab at Capital
  Children's Museum in Washington DC, and articles about computer
  programs and resources for the homeless in Boston.

* A summary report on projects in San Antonio, Dallas, Baltimore,
  Oakland, and Boston which won the five REACH Awards, the computer
  industry's first year acknowledgement of community technology
  programs, organized by Ziff-Davis and the Association of Personal
  Computer User Groups (APCUG), at this year's spring Comdex in
  Atlanta.

* An overview of ITRC/CompuMentor in Chicago, news from
  CompuMentor/SF, a listing of members of the Technology Resource
  Consortium, and an update on the BCS Nonprofit Assistance Program
  and other public service news.

* * * * * * * * * *

A large number of subsidized subscriptions are already supported, and
there are a limited number of additional copies available for $5 which
will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis.  Send check
made out to BCS to:

Marlene Archer
Public Service Coordinator
Boston Computer Society
1 Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA 02139
617/252-0600 x3312
[email-masked]

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*
Please repost.

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1993 12:55:44 -0800
From: Al Whaley <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 4--NII Call for Action

 Date--Mon, 1 Nov 93 14:46:22 PST
 From--Doug Schuler <[email-masked]>

+-------------------------------------------------------------
Please distribute widely to interested colleagues and friends.
+-------------------------------------------------------------

              Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

                            NII Call for Action

                                Autumn, 1993

Introduction

The Clinton administration has recently developed an "Agenda for
Action" to develop a National Information Infrastructure (NII), a very
high capacity network for communication of digital information in the
United States. While Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
(CPSR) applauds much of this effort, we feel that there are serious
concerns that must be addressed if this technology is to meet our
country's needs and our citizen's expectations into the 21st Century.

This is a critical technology that transcends entertainment,
convenience shopping, and instant polling. Communication and
information are at the core of a democratic and equitable society.  We
believe that the development of this technology has the potential to
fundamentally change the nature of community and democratic discourse
and, hence, is one of the most critical issues facing us.  We feel
that this issue deserves serious and comprehensive public
participation.

Important decisions may be made in the near future with inadequate
public participation.  This document is designed to help spur that
participation.  We urge you to contact us with your ideas for what
needs to be done, and your feedback on this call for action.

Motivation

The United States is faced with profound challenges as it prepares to
enter the 21st century.  These include wide disparities in income and
economic opportunity as well as a declining sense of community
involvement.  Many of today's children are growing up in an unsafe
environment with little hope for the future.  These problems may well
be exacerbated by a lack of access to communication and information
technology.  We believe that ensuring affordable access could help
increase political participation, improve economic opportunities,
reinvigorate community, and promote opportunities for lifelong
learning.  While not a panacea, technology may be useful in
this area if it is developed with full democratic participation and if
genuine human needs are addressed.

Why a Call for Action?

CPSR has written a policy statement with recommendations for those who will
be building the NII.  This statement was released in conjunction with a
press conference by the Telecommunications Policy Roundtable (TPR), a
coalition group of some 60 public interest organizations.  CPSR's policy
document, entitled "Serving the Community: A Public-Interest Vision of the
National Information Infrastructure", is largely addressed to policy makers.
At the same time, we realize that top-down action from government policy
makers is only one piece of the puzzle.  Action at all levels is required if
the NII is to become a shared national (and ultimately international)
resource.  This call for action is being released simultaneously with the
policy statement.

TPR Principles

The TPR principles represent a consensus view of a variety of public-
interest organizations.  These principles represent as shared desire for an
equitable public space that we can hold in common as a society.  We urge you
to adopt them in any future discussions, proposals, or pilot projects.

 (1)  Universal access.  All people should have affordable access to the
      information infrastructure.

 (2)  Freedom to communicate.  The information infrastructure should
      enable all people to effectively exercise their fundamental right to
      communicate.

 (3)  Vital civic sector.  The information infrastructure must have a
      vital civic sector at its core.

 (4)  Diverse and competitive marketplace.  The information infrastructure
      should ensure competition among ideas and information providers.

 (5)  Equitable workplace.  New technologies should be used to enhance the
      quality of work and to promote equity in the workplace.

 (6)  Privacy.  Privacy should be carefully protected and extended.

 (7)  Democratic policy-making.  The public should be fully involved in
      policy-making for the information infrastructure.

Based on our experience as both users and designers of networking systems
we have formulated an additional principle:

 (8)  Functional integrity.  The NII must be engineered to high
      standards of reliability, robustness, and extensibility.

Opportunities for Action

We believe that substantial effort will be required if the NII is to
live up to the principles outlined above.  Some of this work can be
initiated by individuals and some by organizations at the community,
regional, and national levels.  CPSR at both the national and the
chapter level intends to be a strong player in this effort.  These
objectives will not be realized without a strong diversified and
distributed effort and we hope that you will become involved in this
effort.  We've included a list of possible opportunities actions - there
are lots of others!

  Education and Public Meetings

   + Organize and attend public meetings on the NII
   + Organize and attend study groups on NII issues
   + Write articles and editorial pieces for publication emphasizing the
     eight public-interest principles and their application to specific
     NII proposals and plans.

  Work with Community

   + Help assess community information and services needs
   + Develop criteria for NII related projects and services to evaluate
     whether they support the public-interest principles and address
     community needs
   + Work with local organizations, projects, and networks to develop
     models of how the NII can promote the public good and to ensure that
     the principles are followed
   + Co-design local service and information related pilot projects that
     can be used by others as models

  Work with Government

   + Contact government officials to sponsor hearings and consider NII
     issues
   + Identify government information and services for inclusion on NII.
   + Attend and offer testimony at public hearings
   + Help to develop equitable regulatory approaches to NII
     implementation

  Work with Organizations

   + Work with local cultural, civic, social service, educational, and
     library organizations to develop NII policies, pilot projects, and
     proposals.
   + Work with organizations that are actively working in this area
   + Work with organizations to educate them as to the importance of
     these issues
   + Form coalitions with organizations in this area

  Work with Business

   + Work with businesses to encourage them to acknowledge and support
     public access to the NII
   + Work with businesses to ensure that affordable public access
     systems and concerns are included in technological and regulatory
     development

  Develop and Build Models

   + Develop Community Networks, Free-Nets, Civic Networks, information
     and services cooperative and organizations and conduct other
     experiments in local telecommunications.
   + Communicate goals, concerns, and findings to the rest of the
     community

About CPSR

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility stands alone as the
only national, non-partisan, public-interest organization dedicated to
understanding and directing the impact of computers on society.
Decisions regarding the use of this technology have far-reaching
consequences that necessarily reflect the basic values and priorities of
the people who govern their use.  We will continue our work on Calling
Number ID, workplace issues, participatory design, privacy, freedom of
information,  redirection of national technology policy for non-military
purposes and other issues in addition to our recent NII initiatives.

Founded in 1981, CPSR has 2000 members from all over the world and 22
chapters across the country.  Each of our members is an important
participant in the dialogue that is helping to shape the future use of
computers in the United States.  Our National Advisory Board includes
one Nobel laureate and three winners of the Turing Award, the highest
honor in computer science.

We believe that as the influence of computers continues to permeate
every aspect of our society, it is important that professionals become
active participants in formulating the policy that governs computer
use and access.  CPSR welcomes any and all who share our convictions.

To obtain copies of the CPSR NII Policy Document or to obtain
additional information about CPSR, contact us at [email-masked] or
CPSR, P.O. Box 717, Palo Alto, CA, 94302.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1993 11:19:22 CDT
From: CuD Moderators <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 5--On-Line Access to Gov't Info in Texas

((MODERATORS' NOTE: The original header from the following post
was garbled, but thanks to the poster nonetheless)).

        Window on State Government Electronic Bulletin Board
                  1-800-227-8392 (1-800-BBS-TEXA)

This is a free service of the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
for callers in Texas.

This board contains a wide variety of economic and tax information,
state spending by category and year, state revenue by source and
year, news releases, Comptroller job postings, and a mailbox for
comments, suggestions and questions.

It operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

  TO SET UP AN ACCOUNT:  Call and follow the instructions.  The BBS
  provides menus and prompts to guide you along.
  COMMUNICATION SETTINGS:  NO parity, 8 databits, 1 stopbit, FULL
  duplex (N,8,1,F). Twelve lines with 4 14,400 baud modems and eight
  9600.
  MODEM NUMBER:  1-800-227-8392 (475-1051 in Austin)
  VOICE LINE:  1-800-531-5441, ext. 5-0996 (475-0996 in Austin)
  CONTACT PERSONS:  Drew Scherz, Gabriel Zavala, Robert Cavazos

Current tax rules are online.  They are listed under Taxability
Information (Main Menu Option 5 and Taxability Information Menu
Option 4).

Main Menu Option 2 is Comptroller News & Information.  From the
Comptroller News & Information menu you can access Comptroller
Job Postings, News Releases, the federal National Performance
Review and the federal Proposed National Health Plan and
President's Speech to Congress.

Also under Comptroller News & Information Option 9 (File Library),
there are a number of files that you can read onscreen or download.
Among these files are lists of Texas House and Senate members and
the 1987 SIC Codes.

In addition to news and information from the Texas Comptroller of
Public Accounts, there is access to information from other sources.
From the BBS News menu (Main Menu Option 6), you will find a list
of Texas public information bulletin boards and can connect to
some Texas bulletin boards such as the State Technology Assessment
Center BBS, Texas Ethics Commission BBS, Texas State Library, and
Texas Employment Commission BBS.

Mary Shearer
Government Documents Librarian
University of Houston Law Library
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1993 11:54:40 CST
From: Nikki Draper <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 6--CPSR NII Call for Action

 +-------------------------------------------------------------
Please distribute widely to interested colleagues and friends.
 +-------------------------------------------------------------

              Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

                            NII Call for Action

                                Autumn, 1993

Introduction

The Clinton administration has recently developed an "Agenda for
Action" to develop a National Information Infrastructure (NII), a very
high capacity network for communication of digital information in the
United States. While Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
(CPSR) applauds much of this effort, we feel that there are serious
concerns that must be addressed if this technology is to meet our
country's needs and our citizen's expectations into the 21st Century.

This is a critical technology that transcends entertainment,
convenience shopping, and instant polling. Communication and
information are at the core of a democratic and equitable society.  We
believe that the development of this technology has the potential to
fundamentally change the nature of community and democratic discourse
and, hence, is one of the most critical issues facing us.  We feel
that this issue deserves serious and comprehensive public
participation.

Important decisions may be made in the near future with inadequate
public participation.  This document is designed to help spur that
participation.  We urge you to contact us with your ideas for what
needs to be done, and your feedback on this call for action.

Motivation

The United States is faced with profound challenges as it prepares to
enter the 21st century.  These include wide disparities in income and
economic opportunity as well as a declining sense of community
involvement.  Many of today's children are growing up in an unsafe
environment with little hope for the future.  These problems may well
be exacerbated by a lack of access to communication and information
technology.  We believe that ensuring affordable access could help
increase political participation, improve economic opportunities,
reinvigorate community, and promote opportunities for lifelong
learning.  While not a panacea, technology may be useful in this area
if it is developed with full democratic participation and if genuine
human needs are addressed.

Why a Call for Action?

CPSR has written a policy statement with recommendations for those who
will be building the NII.  This statement was released in conjunction
with a press conference by the Telecommunications Policy Roundtable
(TPR), a coalition group of some 60 public interest organizations.
CPSR's policy document, entitled "Serving the Community: A
Public-Interest Vision of the National Information Infrastructure", is
largely addressed to policy makers.  At the same time, we realize that
top-down action from government policy makers is only one piece of the
puzzle.  Action at all levels is required if the NII is to become a
shared national (and ultimately international) resource.  This call
for action is being released simultaneously with the policy statement.

TPR Principles

The TPR principles represent a consensus view of a variety of
public-interest organizations.  These principles represent as shared
desire for an equitable public space that we can hold in common as a
society.  We urge you to adopt them in any future discussions,
proposals, or pilot projects.

 (1)  Universal access.  All people should have affordable access to
      the information infrastructure.

 (2)  Freedom to communicate.  The information infrastructure should
      enable all people to effectively exercise their fundamental
      right to communicate.

 (3)  Vital civic sector.  The information infrastructure must have a
      vital civic sector at its core.

 (4)  Diverse and competitive marketplace.  The information
      infrastructure should ensure competition among ideas and
      information providers.

 (5)  Equitable workplace.  New technologies should be used to enhance
      the quality of work and to promote equity in the workplace.

 (6)  Privacy.  Privacy should be carefully protected and extended.

 (7)  Democratic policy-making.  The public should be fully involved
      in policy-making for the information infrastructure.

Based on our experience as both users and designers of networking
systems we have formulated an additional principle:

 (8)  Functional integrity.  The NII must be engineered to high
      standards of reliability, robustness, and extensibility.

Opportunities for Action

We believe that substantial effort will be required if the NII is to
live up to the principles outlined above.  Some of this work can be
initiated by individuals and some by organizations at the community,
regional, and national levels.  CPSR at both the national and the
chapter level intends to be a strong player in this effort.  These
objectives will not be realized without a strong diversified and
distributed effort and we hope that you will become involved in this
effort.  We've included a list of possible opportunities actions - there
are lots of others!

  Education and Public Meetings

   + Organize and attend public meetings on the NII
   + Organize and attend study groups on NII issues
   + Write articles and editorial pieces for publication emphasizing the
     eight public-interest principles and their application to specific
     NII proposals and plans.

  Work with Community

   + Help assess community information and services needs
   + Develop criteria for NII related projects and services to evaluate
     whether they support the public-interest principles and address
     community needs
   + Work with local organizations, projects, and networks to develop
     models of how the NII can promote the public good and to ensure that
     the principles are followed
   + Co-design local service and information related pilot projects that
     can be used by others as models

  Work with Government

   + Contact government officials to sponsor hearings and consider NII
     issues
   + Identify government information and services for inclusion on NII.
   + Attend and offer testimony at public hearings
   + Help to develop equitable regulatory approaches to NII
     implementation

  Work with Organizations

   + Work with local cultural, civic, social service, educational, and
     library organizations to develop NII policies, pilot projects, and
     proposals.
   + Work with organizations that are actively working in this area
   + Work with organizations to educate them as to the importance of
     these issues
   + Form coalitions with organizations in this area

  Work with Business

   + Work with businesses to encourage them to acknowledge and support
     public access to the NII
   + Work with businesses to ensure that affordable public access
     systems and concerns are included in technological and regulatory
     development

  Develop and Build Models

   + Develop Community Networks, Free-Nets, Civic Networks, information
     and services cooperative and organizations and conduct other
     experiments in local telecommunications.
   + Communicate goals, concerns, and findings to the rest of the
     community

About CPSR

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility stands alone as the
only national, non-partisan, public-interest organization dedicated to
understanding and directing the impact of computers on society.
Decisions regarding the use of this technology have far-reaching
consequences that necessarily reflect the basic values and priorities of
the people who govern their use.  We will continue our work on Calling
Number ID, workplace issues, participatory design, privacy, freedom of
information,  redirection of national technology policy for non-military
purposes and other issues in addition to our recent NII initiatives.

Founded in 1981, CPSR has 2000 members from all over the world and 22
chapters across the country.  Each of our members is an important
participant in the dialogue that is helping to shape the future use of
computers in the United States.  Our National Advisory Board includes
one Nobel laureate and three winners of the Turing Award, the highest
honor in computer science.

We believe that as the influence of computers continues to permeate
every aspect of our society, it is important that professionals become
active participants in formulating the policy that governs computer use
and access.  CPSR welcomes any and all who share our convictions.

To obtain copies of the CPSR NII Policy Document or to obtain additional
information about CPSR, contact us at [email-masked] or CPSR, P.O. Box
717, Palo Alto, CA, 94301.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 04:26:54 GMT
From: kyber <[email-masked]>
Subject: File 7--DOS 6.2 BUG!!!

There is a serious bug in MS-DOS 6.2 (the "step-up" from DOS 6.0):

A conflict occurs between VSafe, DOS, and Windows that makes it
impossible to open Windows.  This may be avoided by unloading VSafe
before installing 6.2 (actually, it's generally a good idea to
dismantle your virus shield before installing programs, after you
check that the program is virus-free, of course).  If that doesn't
work, then delete the "chkdsk.ms" files in the DOS, Windows, and
Windows/System directories and reboot.  Ignore the Window's messages
that it is missing a driver or that it needs to be reinstalled.
Microsoft has been getting a lot of calls on this one.

------------------------------

End of Computer Underground Digest #5.86
************************************